Thread: Boshin War Era Armies

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Default Boshin War Era Armies

I was just curious as to what armies where made up of during this time period, Shogunate and Imperial (if they did differ)

Does anyone have some good website or resources?

Thanks
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Default Re: Boshin War Era Armies

that war was just a few small battles and some skirmishes, fought over a relatively short period, between small armies. most of the late era units never took part in the war. TCA just took the liberty of having the reality as basis and allow for the game history to go way more 'total war' and evolve from sort of semi historical 'palace revolution' to a full grown civil war. imho.

I'm by no means an expert, but from what I've learned in last couple of weeks there was no division,or corps system in Japanese armies of that era, only modernized battalions, trained by foreign military experts (British were supporting Imperial side, hoping to counter French influence with Shogunate), and more traditional samurai units, forming majority of (especially, but not only) Shogunate forces, armed and fighting in more medieval style, as modernization process has only just begun -First foreign (French) military mission started in 1867.

Here's a link to a page with short, yet quite detailed information about organization of Imperial Japanese Army during Satsuma Rebellion, which may not be exactly what you were looking for, but gives some idea where it was heading back in 1868.
    http://www.russojapanesewar.com/satsuma.html

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong, hopefully sheding little more light on the subject. I'm hoping also for some information about ranks and rank insignia of Japanese Imperial Army or Shogunate forces of that time. I'm guessing it was inspired by French system, but I can't say much more than that. Are there any pictures on the web that I can't find due to my poor proficiency in asian languages (and by "poor" I mean "zero")?

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Thanks guys,

I've always wondered if those line infantry units CA made are historically accurate; like the White Bear, Black Tortoise (or Blue, IDK)?
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |