Thread: Reject the West - Traditional Only Units

Default Reject the West - Traditional Only Units

In the true spirit of the Samurai Rebellions, there needs to be a mod that rejects all western technology and focuses plainly on the traditional ways and weapons of the Samurai. A mod that replaces all gunpowder units used by the Shogun forces with traditional units from Shogun 2. Sword Infantry units all receive a huge moral boost, and perhaps a speed bonus when charging to close the distance on rifle troops.

Land Battles would be significantly more difficult for this style of play, but far more interesting.

As for Sea Battles, I'm not really sure how to incorporate this.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Reject the West - Traditional Only Units

Even during the satsuma rebellion,considered the last gasp of the Samurai, they used modern weapons until they ran out of ammo and supoly. Samurai were honourable,but not stupid. They knew full well they needed parity of arms with their opponents to secure victory. Samurao dod not fear death,but they did not pointlessly throw their lives away either,for to d oso would be an affront to their lord,as there is no service the dead can do.

This would be a FOTS modification, to clarify. Based loosely on a game play scenario:

No Gun Shogun: A Self-Proclaimed Suicidal Campaign in Futility

A self-proclaimed suicidal campaign in futility
    Title image created by Voigtkampf. Thanks!

As you may have gathered from the title and sub-title, this is a handicap campaign and I expect to die horrifically.

When FotS was first announced my reaction was to mutter something about "Don't like guns and pre-modern stuff. Boring. Would much prefer to have another game with swords and melee." Shortly before FotS was released, I saw a few screenshots with samurai in snazzy black and gold traditional armour fighting some modern infantry. "Ah ha!" thought I. "I wonder if it's possible to refuse modernisation? What if I place my destiny where my crazed mutterings are, and stand against the tide in full King Canute fashion? I'll go down in a hail of bullets, but at least I shall be wearing some seriously nice armour when I do!" Then I realised that "No Gun Shogun" is a catchy title for an AAR, and there we go.

The rules are as follows:

• Absolutely no fancy modern guns allowed! This means nothing above the muskets units used in the Sengoku campaign. That means levy infantry and matchlock kachi will be my only gun units. No artillery, no line infantry, no snipers - nothing. Not even the Shinsengumi police force!
    • Because FotS campaigns feel very long, I will play on 'Short' campaign mode. I will use hard difficulty for the campaign map, and normal difficulty for battles. Because they are geared towards traditionalism and have cool armour, I will play as the Aizu and support the Shogun because he is the traditional ruler. However, because he has betrayed traditional culture by throwing open the gates to foreigners, it is understood that the Tokugawa will not remain in power for long after my victory. An Aizu Shogunate will rise to replace them, and once again close the borders. Thus, I should attempt to establish a powerful position instead of merely scraping past the line for victory.
    • Whilst my original intention was to avoid anything which stank of modernisation, the gameplay design does not make this possible. I must modernise to a certain degree in order to get an economy. Certain buildings and tech will be off-limits, however.
    • I can research the following military tech: shih, school of shinobi, improved defences, gatling gun towers (purely economic if you don't build the towers), militarised society, and shipyard research. If it's not on that list, it's not allowed.
    • All economic tech is permitted except for: foreign affairs, western agenda.
    • All agents are permitted, except for the foreign veteran.
    • No castle tower upgrades permitted beyond matchlock towers. No castle upgrades permitted beyond citadel. No foreign trade districts or dry docks. I will only build factories if my economy cannot scrape by without them. I will attempt to choose the more traditional upgrades instead of the more modern ones wherever feasible.
    • I will not use railways. Nor will I build them.
    • There are no traditional ships, and sadly the naval aspect of the game is impossible to ignore. Thus, I can use any of the ships which do not require fancy ports to recruit. No ironclads, torpedo boats, or anything else overly modern.
    • Traditional units have two limitations placed on them by the game: they are very expensive, and they are slow to recruit. Because of this I am permitted to build the first level of the modern military buildings in my recruitment provinces - each building provides one extra recruitment slot. Without them, I'll never be able to field an army large enough to survive past the opening.

That's the premise. I'll set the scene and report the starting position in another post later today.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...gn-in-Futility

Oh, please for the love God stop basing actual historicity off of The Last Samurai already!

Both Imperial supporters and Shogunate loyalists used modern weapons extensively! They constantly try to out modern each other by showing off their latest gadgets in each of there encounters!(Not to mention the insults they through at each other before the battles commences, which can range from the opponents hairstyle to something as offensive as claiming to have sexual intercourse with the opponents wife )

It was like each boy trying to show off their latest iPhones to their friends in order to be the cool kid on the block!

Samurai used firearms for quite some time before Boshin War, or Satsuma rebellion, so you want them to simply refuse to use newer and better ones? If they can use old matchlock, then why not Minie rifle? Doesn't make sense.
    If you want to play this way, do it the way Samurai from "The Last Samurai" did, and no longer "dishonor" yourself by using firearms at all. I dare you

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Brutalsubtlety's Avatar Decanus

Suicidal Campaign in Futility
    Yes it will be if you follow all your constraints.
    What if…
    Considering that this didn’t happen, and then reasoning in a what if, might help here… …yes the west brought in all this modern tech, yet the Japanese have also made it clear (to the entire world) that they know how to adapt and revise technology; and indeed improve upon it. So perhaps, you could go down the what if path a little…
    Just a thought.

hochmeister devin's Avatar Senator

This sounds like the exact opposite of ww1&s2 mod im working on, interesting.
    My mods
    -Mod Leader for the Wheel Of Time This is not the beginning, but it is a beginning
    -Mod Leader for Shogun 2: Foreign Invasion if you want a mod with alot of units this is for you, not only is there the 40 units CA made theres planned to be atleast 177 NEW units when its done.
    -Modder in the World War I and Shogun II project. The only full scale mod for FOTS and it plays nothing like FOTS. FOTS may have Gatling guns, WW1&S2 has tekidanto samurai, SNLF, MGs, kisho snipers, assault infantry(shotguns) just to name a few.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

And I will also contribute. Hey, I like all shades being all gun samurai to all traditional samurai

Aim to have MORE SPINOFFS of the Shinsengumi, be it yari wielding, or naginata or both or cavalry. Just not yumi or katana.

Onna Bushi, well just change the body armor and use the shogitai body, MINUS the ones showing arms coz that will show our onna bushi are heavily muscled in their arms Only naginata.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII