Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PItalica2] Help Us - Image Database

Default [PItalica2] Help Us - Image Database

Hi everyone,

In purpose to help us in our project to create some variety concerning the existing units, and with the new ones that we will create, i propose you to support the developpment of the mod with sharing your image and description concerning the Armors and Weapons.

The period of the mod is the end of the IVth century (338 BC), to the beginning of the IIIrd century (260 BC)

Here an example of how you can present your support :

Helmet and Cuirass

Culture : Samnite

Description :

Body Armour

Italic (Samnite), from southern Italy, ~ 400 B.C.
    Bronze
    This is a breastplate, or cuirass, typically worn by teh Samnites, a tribe who occupied areas of Italy formerly held by the Etruscans.

Two Helmets

Etruscan, ~ 500 B.C.
    Bronze
    A pair of Negau type helmets were worn by Etruscan hoplites (foot soldiers). The hole in the center of the palmette facilitated the attaching of a crest. The hooks above the rims held straps for stabilizing crests.

link : http://www.flickr.com/photos/taimoo/2968853016/

This is just an example, and of course you can give any precisions and details that you consider major.
    Thank you in advance for your help, and support.

Skyn0s
    Last edited by Skyn0s; May 05, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
    EBII fan appeal: The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] is in dire need of YOUR HELP RIGHT NOW! - Dear modders, please get in touch HERE!

debux's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [PItalica2] Help Us - Image Database

Sad to see not much activity here... I could post a few things, but I doubt it will be much. I can post a few things starting next week, I yet have to finish exams

(Sorry to post here just to say this, I was just really exited to see a new sticky on this forum. But it does cheer me up to see that variety will be improved for the next release)
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Etruscan 400BC

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dandiff...ream/lightbox/

Link Ancient Italy Collection: http://www.flickr.com/groups/610402@N24/pool/page20/

Is this what you mean ?
    Cheers !

+ a Greek helmet South Italy 300-350 BC
    Last edited by Celtoi; May 12, 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by debux View Post
    Sad to see not much activity here... I could post a few things, but I doubt it will be much. I can post a few things starting next week, I yet have to finish exams
    exams exams ... hope that it has been well done.

I look forward to see what you can post into this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtoi View Post

Is this what you mean ?

It was exactly what i was looking for ! +rep

Keep up the good work guys

Skyn0s
    EBII fan appeal: The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] is in dire need of YOUR HELP RIGHT NOW! - Dear modders, please get in touch HERE!

maybe posting at myarmoury.com would get some good replies...

debux's Avatar Senator

Uh, small question. Are the illustrations in the Osprey books useful? And due to copyright, which would be the best way to show them to you guys (if you'd find them useful?)
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Hi Skynos, I've just returned from Sicily because of my holidays over there.
    I made a whole bunch of photos from a museum collection of beautiful painted amforas in Siracusa.
    I just checked if they are from the correct time-phase, needed for PI2 but very unfortunately they are not !
    All the Attic warriors I "shot" are from approximately 600-400BC....here's an example in the attachments.

Also strange is that there were really many amforas with paintings of Greek warriors (e.g. Macedons) fighting Amazons ! .... ...are female warriors !

Quote Originally Posted by Celtoi View Post
    Hi Skynos, I've just returned from Sicily because of my holidays over there.
    I made a whole bunch of photos from a museum collection of beautiful painted amforas in Siracusa.
    I just checked if they are from the correct time-phase, needed for PI2 but very unfortunately they are not !
    All the Attic warriors I "shot" are from approximately 600-400BC....here's an example in the attachments.

Also strange is that there were really many amforas with paintings of Greek warriors (e.g. Macedons) fighting Amazons ! .... ...are female warriors !
    Hi Celtoi,
    How are you ?!
    Holidays into Sicily ?... how lucky you are mate, i dream to make one myself soon as possible, maybe the next year. Your photos sound to me like they are awesome...

Concerning the timeframe, you can easily understand that the "timeframe" as you said is a modern conception .

I'm one of the guys who think that the re-using of weapons, and the cultural effect on an army could influence her entire composition.

Giving the fact that the equipment and the stuff of our mod is mainly situated during the end of the IVth century to the beginning of the IIIrd, i can tell that your photos can give us a base to work on.

The Macedonians and their equipment create some improvements on the equipment of the hoplites into Greece, and their colonies. But it was mainly after Philippe II and Alexander the Great were passed. During our period the stuff is relatively the same (considering the Greek factions) as the precedent century (500-400 B.C).

On the subject of Amazones, considering the fact that the myth are widely represented into the greek art, maybe the Sicilians were fascinated by the claimed matriarchal society or simply by the myth if they have never existed as historic reality.

Skyn0s

P.S : the picture attached is really good. I like his helmet a lot. Thank you very much
    Last edited by Skyn0s; August 14, 2012 at 04:45 PM.

Ok , if this was helpful for your mod I will upload my other stuff too
    Also...Very very interesting was the ancient Greek mountain city Morgantina: very unknown to the public and
    unfortunately no money to keep the archeologists on going. So many great stuff yet to uncover ! ! !
    During Agathocles' rule the city built an agora and sanctuaries for its chtonic gods Demetra & Kore and also a new Greek-Roman city-part.
    The 3rd century BC was a period of great prosperity for Morgantina, the only Sicilian mainland city that hit coins.
    In 211BC Morgantina was destroyed during the Punic Wars by consul Claudio Marcello because of their allegiance change to Carthage and afterwards given as a wage to Spanish mercenaries.
    Added a picture of Morgantina too !

Enjoy & Cheers !

Last edited by Celtoi; August 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Pictures were not granted 1by1 by TWC, so uploaded as 7z.file

This is a presentation of the Italia Antiqua exhibition in Berlin

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by megalitho View Post
    This is a presentation of the Italia Antiqua exhibition in Berlin
    Hehe! I've been there this year. They have pretty impressive stuff on the roman culture but there isn't much about the military part.
    Here's some photos that I took:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Petroniu; August 22, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Thank you guys, it's great to see some activity here
    Keep it up, as we always need some support concerning the historical research and image database.

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Here are some building models from the same exposition. But the photos aren't suppose to help anyone recreate them so don't expect a good angle.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am sorry I don't have descriptions for them too, but I did these photos out of pure pleasure, but I hope they'll help you as an inspiration.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Hi Team / Skynos,

Thnx4d.rep. & I don't know if you already saw my thread elsewhere or have knowledge of that website already ?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=479998

This thread is not about images, but holds a link to a sort of an ancient online Google maps routeplanner the Romans would
    have used if they had access to the www. I think you find it highly interesting according to your archeo-background.
    Enjoy it !

Some free to use shield textures I found on the Rome Workshop.
    (It's not really reference material, but it's really useful)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=573832

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

See if this works for you. If so, there's plenty more.

PlayerOne's Avatar Senator

Go ahead and post them, preferably in spoiler, every little helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayerOne View Post
    Go ahead and post them, preferably in spoiler, every little helps.
    Like this wise person said, and thank you very much for your participation

Skyn0s

All right people. I 've included as many images as I could in relation to your mod timeline. - more or less. You may use some of these (like celtiberian infantry) to make mercenary units. I've also included a few Macedonian and Seleucid units. I know they are not in your mod, but you could base Epeiros on them. I don't know how your Greek are, so I translated the names for you. Well, hope this helps.
    Last edited by Hoplite of Ilis; December 16, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typographical error

Part 2! Sorry, don't know how to do it with spoilers.
    Last edited by Hoplite of Ilis; December 16, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast