Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing Units are way too slow to react!

Default Firing Units are way too slow to react!

Hi there,

Please increase the reaction time of the firing units, I sit there waiting and hoping for my units, especially the second and the third ranks.. they take ages.. they look around stand idle even after reloading!

Default Re: Firing Units are way too slow to react!

omg yes.. I noticed this the other day.. I was defending and and my gunmen on the walls shooting at the enemny.. when they got close to wall and started to climb, I moved my linemen back so they could just fire when they got up. Well first they never did fire at the enemy, and when I clicked on the their units they moved into a totally different formation that they couldn't attack from.

I do believe you mean you want him to decrease the time.

Lito's Avatar Civis

Yeah noticed the same in Sengoku. My archers sometimes just dont want to respond, I click like crazy but they still kissing the forts walls, stresses me out quite well.

Vasa's Avatar Tiro

This was a problem in Empire and Napoleon too. I'd like to see it fixed but I don't know what Darth can do about it.

It was FINE in vanilla, it has been reduced! and now its really not good... Its not nice to see soldiers with guns standing looking at the sky while enemy is charging towards them...

Has this been fixed yet? Haven't played much lately been busy studying...

nah still slow, plus I would love to see Darth import the empire total war SOUND EFFECTS for guns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rayo View Post
    nah still slow, plus I would love to see Darth import the empire total war SOUND EFFECTS for guns!!!
    That would be incredibly unrealistic. The barrel shape is different, which means sound travels and reverberates and penetrates across and through it completely differently, for one. For two, the bullets and gunpowder used are also different, which means the actual explosive reaction is not identical and will produce different vibrations.

Things become even more pronounced with the introduction of cartridges, too.

More on topic, I'd also like units to react faster, particularly on the individual soldier level when the unit itself is already in position. Current "platoon" reaction time (AKA time it takes them to turn around or form back up or rotate to face a new enemy or whatever) is fine and somewhat realistic, IMO. It's the massive delay between "Ready, stopped and facing the enemy" and "take up gun" and "point gun" and "count to seventeen" and "do a little dance" and "recite the seven mantras" and "finally pull the damn trigger" that is proving to be extremely annoying.

I don't know what can be done about it or what data would need to be changed to fix this, though. Anyone got insight? Maybe Darth can use the Force to fix this for us?

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranker View Post
    That would be incredibly unrealistic. The barrel shape is different, which means sound travels and reverberates and penetrates across and through it completely differently, for one. For two, the bullets and gunpowder used are also different, which means the actual explosive reaction is not identical and will produce different vibrations.

Things become even more pronounced with the introduction of cartridges, too.

More on topic, I'd also like units to react faster, particularly on the individual soldier level when the unit itself is already in position. Current "platoon" reaction time (AKA time it takes them to turn around or form back up or rotate to face a new enemy or whatever) is fine and somewhat realistic, IMO. It's the massive delay between "Ready, stopped and facing the enemy" and "take up gun" and "point gun" and "count to seventeen" and "do a little dance" and "recite the seven mantras" and "finally pull the damn trigger" that is proving to be extremely annoying.

I don't know what can be done about it or what data would need to be changed to fix this, though. Anyone got insight? Maybe Darth can use the Force to fix this for us?

That makes it even worse!
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Quote Originally Posted by Elitewolf View Post
    [video]
    That makes it even worse!
    ROFL!

That was hilarious, and a perfect illustration of the core problem. Thank you! +rep

yeah nice video

hahahaha amazing video!!!!!

To all those who say ohhh its all REALISTIC... cmon please, give us a break!

Its a game and should be enjoyed as such!... Too realistic can get BORING! and LONG

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rayo View Post
    To all those who say ohhh its all REALISTIC... cmon please, give us a break!

You're never going to find anyone with their mind in tact on these forums that calls that realistic. It's a bug from CA, because we've seen this with gun armed troops in vanilla since ETW.

Darth mods have never been, to my knowledge, realism mods -- or more to the point, historical accuracy mods. They are mods that "keep the original vanilla flavor" while fixing a million things and making the battle engagements somewhat more realistic as a result. Removing things like laser trails also go towards realism, but it's not his stated end aim. Fixing the dancing line is something any modder would want, realism or not. APE:TI fixed it for ETW, but you'll still see units bugging out now and then as if they are constantly being issued contradictory orders -- "Go here!" "No, go there!"

This happens constantly to me with Darthmod 4.0 (3.4+update) in FotS with line infantry. I found that if I drag the line out to be 2 or 1 1/2 soldiers deep it's almost like they can never complete the formation and end up dancing in place. If I halt them they line up in slow-motion, but once I click fire at will back on they'll often stand there or start dancing again. Makes them useless.

Happened in Darthmod 3.95 (3.4+update) too. It's almost like the formation line places the soldiers too close together and so the CAI can never finish lining up the soldiers.

This was introduced somewhere in versions 3.7-3.95 with the formation changes, and is really annoying! I would definitely like to see it fixed or I'll have to revert to 3.6+.

Actually, it's a vanilla bug. The video was made by someone playing multiplayer in vanilla.

Really? I had not noticed it whatsoever until I moved to 3.95. In those builds from 3.6 there were supposedly formation changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Livebyte View Post
    Really? I had not noticed it whatsoever until I moved to 3.95. In those builds from 3.6 there were supposedly formation changes.
    Yup. Try looking it up on the forums here, I believe the thread was called "White bear dubstep"
    Not sure where it was posted though. I am sure this is on multiplayer, just look at the uniforms. And I just started my first FOTS Darthmod campaign but I have run into it a few times before. This spazzing out in place, that is a vanilla problem. I don't know if you are referring to this though.

It seems to be connected to kneel fire. Disable kneel fire. If this doesn't work: pause, drag move them so they stand in more or less the same position and it is solved. Once the first rank starts shooting again reenable kneel fire.

As far as I know formation changes just changed the way AI marched to battle (long single line instead of double or triple line) and not the unit spacing (In DM for ETW for example a few special firing modes had to be removed because when activated units would revert to their default spacing before firing, which took a long time)

As for the time it takes between moving and firing, this is related to Darthmod and the engine: Bigger units react slower (At 1.5 unit size a lot of men will often stand still while the rest of the unit is already moving, never noticed this at ultra. Just do a siege battle on 1.5 unit size and on ultra. Set men on walls, have them fire at approaching units and then let them move back from the walls as the enemy comes close. They won't move until you've ordered them twice or even three times. This problem never occurs on ultra and always on 1.5 size. Larger unit size makes pathfinding issues worse) and DM also slows movement. This means that units take a lot longer to move into position compared to vanilla. This can be 'remedied' by going back to ultra size as I chose to do.

Finally, for rank fire: Rank fire just plain out sucks, even at 1.5 unit size. The time spent waiting for the entire goddamn rank to reload, get up, fire, crouch, next rank reload, stand and fire just takes too long.

Well, that was a long post. Did I miss anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast