Thread: GamerDudester's Let's Talk: Total War [Youtube Series]

Default GamerDudester's Let's Talk: Total War [Youtube Series]

Lets Talk: Total War
    A series dedicated to becoming a better Total War player

Hey guys, this is an in-depth series that I started on Youtube recently. I will be asking for replays from the community on different topics and update the thread with the new videos as necessary. For now, the series is only aimed at FotS but might grow to include other games.

The main motif behind this was that the casting/commentating community, while very good at casting and dissecting the several aspects of the game, doesn't seem to paint a fuller picture of the meta-game. And seeing that a lot of new players keep joining the community I feel a series like this might be helpful. It will also include \high-level theory talk, the standard unit composition and assessing different styles of play that work. So now instead of commentating myself playing, I'll show case different players with emphasis on different things.

I'm super passionate about this, so lets try and get it to work =D
    Please tell everyone you know and help submit replays!

To submit a replay for the week's topic

0- Find the replay:
    Go to your User/AppData/Roaming/The Creative/Assembly/Shogun 2/replays and find the respective replay you would like to send.

1- send an e-mail to:
    Code:
    GamerDudesterMail@gmail.com
    2- Title the e-mail with the following:
    Code:
    <Weekly Topic Here>[<number of battle replays>]
    ex: Ambush Tactics [2]

3- In the body of the e-mail:
    Please describe in as much detail as you can/want the nature of the replays and what you think is appealing about them so that I know what to look for in the specific replay that you submit. This way, the selection process will be much more smooth and hopefully, we will be able to stick to a weekly schedule.

Replay specifications and requirements:
    1- Battles should not include camping/time wasting unless specified directly in the weekly topic.
    2- 2v2's and 3v3's are generally not accepted, unless specified in the topic. If you do submit a 2v2/3v3/more please only submit 2 battles per week.
    3- Please only submit up to 3 replays per week for all 1v1 replays.

Also, kindly note that when you submit a replay to me you are essentially giving me rights to display it on my channel and use it for the series (kind of obvious).

Current topic: Using Melee
    Open till: May 9th

Description: I want replays of builds that have all/minor/major melee components in them. Anything that uses swords, spears and meatshields is welcome.
    Diversion forces, flanking forces, central penetrative (huhuhuhuh) forces are all welcome! They key is diversity for this one!

Spoiler for Weekly Talks

1. Let's Talk: Total War - Week of April 2nd
      This episode was the first of the series. It attempts to go through the process of playing the game from checking the map out and building the right army, to playing the late game when you have had success/failure in a certain aspect.
    2. Let's Talk: Team Battles with Aggony - Part 1, Part 2 - Week of April 9th
      Here I attempt to break down the key elements of playing together in a 3v3 competitive environment. We talk about how the flanks flow with the center and the different approaches to structuring the whole 3-player army for different cases and situations.
    3. Let's Talk: Cavalry - Part 1, Part 2 - Week of April 23rd
      Cavalry is a very large part of the game obviously, so this particular episode is going to try to focus on the melee aspect of using your horsemen. Cavalry's advantages lie in its mobility, the ability to acquire map control, harassment and finally its power, i.e. the charge.
    4. Let's Talk: Skirmishing
      Week of April 30th
      Skirmishing can be quite overwhelming to some people just because its probably the most micro intensive thing one can do in fights. In this episode I go about trying to show the Skirmish troops often seek to damage the opponent through applying pressure, as opposed to actually causing hard casualties. The aim is to fluster your opponent into making mistakes using your skirmishers.

Last edited by Outlawed; May 08, 2012 at 12:28 AM.