Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback & Suggestions

Domesticus
    Artifex

Default Re: Feedback & Suggestions

As lolIsuck said there will be six lessons indeed, although a special lesson may be arranged if there's enough demand:
    Also if there is something you particularly would like to learn you can request it here.
    For example a screenshot editing lesson may not be a bad idea.

Domesticus
    Artifex

Do you wish a special lesson? I could arrange a fully optional but highly recommended screenshot editing lesson for example (or basically anything you people want, as far as it's basic enough and I can do it).

Please tell me what you think.

Comments concerning the course and lessons itself are appreciated also, although I can see that most of the discussion takes place in the respective lesson threads.
    Last edited by Goofy; June 02, 2012 at 01:34 AM.

I sure would like more lessons
    By screenshot editing what do you mean?

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ForteS
    By screenshot editing what do you mean?
    For example this:

My submission for POTW 288

Original:

Submission:

I think this is what many of you would like to learn. It's very useful being able to do screenshot improving like this, and getting you introduced to this may also increase the activity of the TWC weekly screenshot competitions, although the amount of participants is quite nice there nowadays.

I could also show you how to create rain in screenshots (which I actually learned this spring while reading Astaroth's awesome GIMP Basics Course I) and maybe a couple of other tricks, but usually I mainly just adjust the colours and contrast of my screenshots. Especially NTW and S2TW/FOTS have so high-quality graphics that further improving isn't usually needed, unless you want to remove those white pixels in the horses' brows in NTW screenshots (I didn't feel up to do that in the screenshot above, because it usually takes quite a lot of time). However, it's rather common to remove the sky of M2TW screenshots and replace it with a photo of real sky.

Screenshot editing is quite a popular hobby around here, so teaching you a little about it wouldn't certainly be a bad idea.

PS. I'll fail every single one of you if some other people don't come here and share their thoughts as well.
    Last edited by Goofy; June 16, 2012 at 08:37 AM.

NekoGenijalan's Avatar Unruffled Equanimity

Sure why not Thats how I started to learn GIMP.
    Came at POTW as utter noob, and now its my fifth time, and my screenshots are improving.

Plus I guess editing screenshots could be useful for making loading screens and splash screens, thus not only increasing amount of participants for POTW but increasing number of skilled 2D artists on TWC . As TWC is lacking of those. There are a lot of experienced artists here and they all make really awesome stuff for mods but they are busy.
    And if you are just a regular user and want to start mod no one will answer your call, eventually leading your mod to certain demise.

This would be my suggestion then:

So if you could include in your lessons how to make loading/splash/menu screens and unit cards (UI's are to difficult) this would be great.
    Imagine this - 27 participants at this course, that means 27 new modders.

Its not to difficult, some files just need to be exported with right extension and placed in right folder in modfolder

This would be my suggestion then:

So if you could include in your lessons how to make loading/splash/menu screens and unit cards (UI's are to difficult) this would be great.

Its not to difficult, some files just need to be exported with right extension and placed in right folder in modfolder
    That would be just incredibly awesome! Though I dont think Goofy has done that before, has he?

will we get the next and last lesson on monday or sunday?

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by NekoGenijalan
    Thats how I started to learn GIMP.
    Me too...
    Plus I guess editing screenshots could be useful for making loading screens and splash screens, thus not only increasing amount of participants for POTW but increasing number of skilled 2D artists on TWC . As TWC is lacking of those.
    Loading screens are usually made of screenshots indeed, although I don't know if handling that makes you a skilled 2D artist.
    There are a lot of experienced artists here and they all make really awesome stuff for mods but they are busy.
    And if you are just a regular user and want to start mod no one will answer your call, eventually leading your mod to certain demise.
    To some extent this is true. As you said, there are lots of experienced artists here but I don't think we have a lack of them, especially when you compare the amount of 2D artists to the amount of modellers. But I agree with you that not-so-well-known users can have difficulties finding a 2D artist, but usually they can do coding which is the very base of any mod - 2D stuff is second to that, as the 2D aspect can be changed after the mod release. But without coding no mod (except for aesthetical mods) will ever be finished.

Anyways, it's true that there are never too many artists around.

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman
    That would be just incredibly awesome! Though I dont think Goofy has done that before, has he?
    Actually yes, I have. You know, I'm actually a minor modder (and I consider myself mainly a modder) who has tried almost everything but produced quite a few finished mods because I usually lose my interest quite soon and don't have the motivation to continue the project. That's why I have started a huge amount of mod projects but only finished some three or four of them.

At the moment I'm working on a main menu for a promising M2TW mod called Crux et Aquila. Before that I've done some attempts on menus, loading screens and splashes but that was when I still was a very beginner with GIMP. But I do know how to mod them, and as NekoGenijalan said it's not difficult at all.

I've never made unit cards, but technically I know how they are made. As far as I know all you need is a 3D program, take a screenshot of the unit model and then make it a unit card in GIMP. Hader can probably tell you more about this. However, being such an easy process I'd recommend just checking this guide.

I'm not sure whether menu creating and such is appropriate for a GIMP basics course, especially since it concerns modding. On the other hand creating a menu/splash/loading screen is just like doing any other piece of art.
    I think I could teach both screenshot editing and menu creating or such in the same lesson if I chose. The problem is also that creating a menu would lead to an awful amount of steps. However, even if I decided to teach you a little about it you might want to check Alletun's great tutorial on menus and splash screens here. Also, as you said, UI's are too difficult and I have never actually made an UI but if you're interested you should definitely check cedric37's M2TW UI basics tutorial.
    will we get the next and last lesson on monday or sunday?
    On Tuesday or later - I'll see. I'm quite busy and I should naturally prepare the sixth lesson before posting it so, I can't give an exact time for that.

I'm not sure whether menu creating and such is appropriate for a GIMP basics course, especially since it concerns modding. On the other hand creating a menu/splash/loading screen is just like doing any other piece of art.
    Yeah, and you dont need to tell us how to add in the files and stuff, because then you can just give us a link on how to do it, because we are here to learn the art, arent we?

I think you should do a few more lessons showing other GIMP filters, I mean there are a lot that you didnt use and I would love to know what they do

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

I have a vested interest in learning how to make a video-game image look more like a realistic image.

To pull an example out of *nowhere*, if i were to take a TW unit photo, and want to make it look like it's own individual work of art, or make it look *considerably* less obviously a video game unit, do you know how i'd go about that?

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

This^!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'll third(?) this.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Great course! Thanks professor!
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Domesticus
    Artifex

Yeah, and you dont need to tell us how to add in the files and stuff, because then you can just give us a link on how to do it, because we are here to learn the art, arent we?
    Yeah. I'm still trying to teach you the basics of M2TW menu creating, but preparing the lesson may take long as I'm quite busy at the moment. Apart from that I have the material needed for the extra lesson, though.
    I think you should do a few more lessons showing other GIMP filters, I mean there are a lot that you didnt use and I would love to know what they do
    I'd recommend trying them randomly by yourself. That's the best way to learn, you know. And in general I hardly use more than just a small couple of filters (Gaussian Blur, Softglow, Unsharp Mask and such).
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowran
    I have a vested interest in learning how to make a video-game image look more like a realistic image.

To pull an example out of *nowhere*, if i were to take a TW unit photo, and want to make it look like it's own individual work of art, or make it look *considerably* less obviously a video game unit, do you know how i'd go about that?
    Could you give an example picture?

That is really difficult if not impossible, but of course working with colours, shadows and blurring the image appropriately will give you more realistic results, yet still not realistic. Adding distance blur and such details may increase the realisticness of your screenshot. In general you should just try to hide the videogame-like details in the image, such like unreasonable glow and sharp object edges. I can't really come up with any specific technique that may please you better.

To add that distance blur I mentioned you should first duplicate the layer you're working on, then blur the duplicated layer, add a layer mask to it and then edit the mask (I suggest gradient for this). Basically just blur the layer and then make the lower part of the blurred layer invisible (in case the upper part of the picture is "farther").

It is very possible to make a photo look like a drawing or video game graphic, but that isn't unfortunately vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by King William the Conqueror
    Great course! Thanks professor!
    It's not over yet - I'm just struggling to find the time to finish it. But oh well, thank you anyways!

I found a very interesting video on youtube, this image was created with photoshop but that doesn't really matter since GIMP does around the same as photoshop.

What this guy did with this image could have been created by any one of us since we were taught to do that kind of stuff, I'm like just of think that theoretically I can make something like that. Thanks for the great course that you are giving us Goofy

Well that was just insane... That guy has probably been photoshopping since it was released...

Domesticus
    Artifex

I agree, that is quite insane. Although it's also true that technically that could've been any of you.
    I found a very interesting video on youtube, this image was created with photoshop but that doesn't really matter since GIMP does around the same as photoshop.
    Yeah, pretty much. There are some tricks he uses in the video that you can't do on GIMP, but the basic stuff, yes.

I'd love to see that filter brush on GIMP as well.
    What this guy did with this image could have been created by any one of us since we were taught to do that kind of stuff, I'm like just of think that theoretically I can make something like that. Thanks for the great course that you are giving us Goofy
    No problem.
    Well that was just insane... That guy has probably been photoshopping since it was released...
    Certainly years of practice indeed.

I made my own signature for my AAR, using the knowledge learned from your lessons! look!

Thanks for the fantastic course!

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Although I wasn't able to finish this I want to thank Goofy for this course. You did a fantastic job, have some rep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast