Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An Analysis of the Black Prince

Sulla's Avatar Sulla

Default Re: An Analysis of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Siblesz
    When Sulla replaced me, he always mentioned to me that his one and only obstacle to progress in the Curia was tBP...
    You reminded me of a statement made by Cicero of Cato in the 50's BC,
    I believe Cato thinks we live in the republic of Plato rather than the sink of Romulus.
    It sort of reminds me of tBP .

Under the Patronage of the noble Senatorii Wild Bill Kelso
    Brother Of Necrobrit, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran and Oldgamer
    Patron of the Senatorii cunobelin & the CivitateLegio XX Valeria Victrix

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Siblesz
    When Sulla replaced me, he always mentioned to me that his one and only obstacle to progress in the Curia was tBP...
    Ah, well, that's rather an oversimplification.

There were many people who were obstacles to the staff point of view at that time. Notably Fabolous and Jacobus Maximus~Lucius Vorenus~Belisirius.

tBP may have been the most vocal curialist during the Triumvirate before this one (Me~Justinian~Archer); but if you looked beond the surface of curial "politics" then, you would have found that there were many more influential ones.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla
    You reminded me of a statement made by Cicero of Cato in the 50's BC,

It sort of reminds me of tBP .
    So he's utopian.... now to work out whether this is a bad thing or not...

Profler's Avatar Shaving Kit

While my own memory of Curia events only extends up to about last september, I think it would certainly be fair to say that the most regular and recurring criticism of staff proposals came from tBP (I am thinking here of the period immediately following the vB transfer when tBP was again on staff and involved with pushing through items like the Legislation Act) certainly there were other criticisms, but obstruction in the Curia can be more easily argued against and potentially overcome than fierce opposition to proposals within staff.

Forcing change at the root of a proposal meant that tBP exerted much greater influence than was possible from a civitate in the Curia. As the more large scale proposals began to emerge, I then found myself actively trying to drag out the process of the first 'bill bundle' relating to the technicalities of voting and curial proceedure so that Sulla was able to begin movement on later staff reforms which tBP vehemently opposed - in this I was greatly aided, no doubt unintentionally, by Epistolary Richard and Simmetrical, who never hesitated to direct my attention to flaws in the draft bills and allowed drafting to run to 4 or 5 pages

However, on the months following this I cannot comment, owing to increasing inactivity and resignation from staff on the grounds of mental health.

If I might also pick up on Pheonix, as mentioned by Simmetrical, I do have to admit that the coincidence of a prospective Principal Warfare Officer in Her Majesty's Royal Navy returning to shore and signing up under an account name connected to the idea of rebirth at almost exactly the same time that tBP (with no small degree of interest in and knowledge regarding the senior service) was suspended is perhaps rather difficult to believe. The still more interesting coincidence that Phoenix should be using an IP provided by the university which tBP attended/(attends?) took it rather beyond the realm of chance to my mind. It was not, perhaps, the most imaginative cover that could have been adopted under the circumstances.

EDIT: As a PS, I should perhaps point out that my memory of staff is somewhat hazy and without access to the staff fora I can only recount events as I remember them.
    Last edited by Profler; June 30, 2006 at 10:37 AM.
    In patronicvm svb wilpuri
    Patronvm celcvm qvo Garbarsardar et NStarun

The Bottle of France has been lost, the Bottle of Britain has just begun...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Mr. Speaker, do you approve of donuts?" - Hon Eric Forth MP (deceased)
    "You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment" - Rt Hon Francis Urquhart MP

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Profler
    The still more interesting coincidence that Phoenix should be using an IP provided by the university which tBP attended/(attends?) took it rather beyond the realm of chance to my mind. It was not, perhaps, the most imaginative cover that could have been adopted under the circumstances.
    And yet even MORE interesting and even MORE circumstantial is the fact that tBP's avatar was for quite some time that of a fiery colored bird, possibly a phoenix.

Søren's Avatar ܁

Quote Originally Posted by Ardeur
    And yet even MORE interesting and even MORE circumstantial is the fact that tBP's avatar was for quite some time that of a fiery colored bird, possibly a phoenix.
    It was a golden eagle I believe.

However, the symbolism of the Phoenix is too obvious to ignore. The phoenix, obviously, being as it is a mythical bird which rejuvinates itself from the ashes has very noticable parallels with tBP's banning, and (hypothetically following the arguement) reincarnation as that new account.

On the otherhand, it must be said that tBP would hardly be the first staff member to lie about things, indeed, I have met few staff or influential civitates who I have reason to believe that they have not, on occassion.

p.s. Very nice to see you back, Profler. :original:

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

Why do we have this thread? Is it necessary any more?

Søren's Avatar ܁

Quote Originally Posted by imb39
    Why do we have this thread? Is it necessary any more?
    The Curia should be able to discuss any of it's members or policies in an objective way as a means for any action, even if it is merely not voting on Divus for someone.

I'm letting this stay open for now; providing neither the Curator nor Triumvirate think otherwise.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

To what end? It seems to me that people are effectively kicking a dead horse now.

My my, hasnt this been an interesting thread. I could go into detail about my story, I'm sure Sulla can go into more detail about how frustrated he made me when I was Prefect. Anyway we all make mistakes but the trick is to learn from them. I hope that maybe this time tBP has learned but the fact he wont remove Justinian when Justinian wants to be removed from his sig makes me think that in a year we'll all be here again.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Søren's Avatar ܁

Quote Originally Posted by imb39
    To what end? It seems to me that people are effectively kicking a dead horse now.
    Then they should decide to be quiet themselves.

I'm not going to force them into that decision by displaying authoritarian muscle and closing the thread.

There were many people who were obstacles to the staff point of view at that time. Notably Fabolous and Jacobus Maximus~Lucius Vorenus~Belisirius.
    The way I remember it, most of staff supported us. :wink:
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius
    The way I remember it, most of staff supported us. :wink:
    So what you are saying is that your faction was large. The relevance of the size of faction is nil.

Faction? There have never been factions, But there was no Pro and anti Staff, if the threads are still there I can point you to the secret Decimvirate forum where I demanded Compromise over battle, I'm sure Tac remembers it. There was no Pro and anti staff, we all discussed things and the final curial document had 8/10 approval. I have no idea where people pull out these Ideas of massive curial old guard factions, oh wait, I have one. :wink:

the member to which profler refers is Lt Tom Austin of the Royal navy
    he's not a PWO yet though... he came ashore to complete a couple of qualifications below that title, including his Bridge Watch Officers Course... he's a JWO at the moment

to quote him
    I was a fairly active member here a while back and then i was deployed to the North Atlantic for 6 months, which rather cut down on my internet access lol.

I'm back on shore now, currently on leave, and i've got a shore deployment in either HMND Portsmouth or Devonport while i finish the last stages of my PWO training. (I'm currently a junior warfare officer (Lt))
    actually, i guess if he was doinmg his principal warfare course back then, he probably is a PWO by now...
    i don;t actually know him IRL, only thru the forum
    given that Keele has 14,000 students, that 8000 of them are permanent course based students, that 5000 have on campus accomodation, and that all 5000 have free net access in that accomodation, plus the library, the potential ability for finding another TW member at keele is hugh. i believe the CS play RTW as one of their hosted games, there may even be a keele clan for it... i dunno...
    why Lt Austin was there, i don't know... maybe he has a relative there, people do visit family when they have shore leave you know...
    but anyways

my old avatar that i have used consistantly till i afdopted hunters union flag was that of a gold feathered eagle. it stems from my first ever online nickname - goldfeather... which i used to use at among others, the LOTR plaza
    Last edited by the Black Prince; June 30, 2006 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentinian
    On the otherhand, it must be said that tBP would hardly be the first staff member to lie about things, indeed, I have met few staff or influential civitates who I have reason to believe that they have not, on occassion.

p.s. Very nice to see you back, Profler. :original:
    Haha, how true. This thread is making me feel concerningly nostalgic and oldman-like, so I should probably abstain for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by the Grim Squeaker
    So what you are saying is that your faction was large. The relevance of the size of faction is nil.
    Ahh, staff factionalism and infighting, those were the days. A controlled confidential leak there, a warning about warpaths and rampages here, the whole thing put me in mind of a particularly two faced episode of Yes Minister.

N.B. the above statement is naturally exempt from the above above statement.

"You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment" - Rt Hon Francis Urquhart MP

Prof, who was it we called Sulla, it wasnt from Yes Minister, it was a BBC Drama about a PM holding on to power, it was your Avatar?

I dont remember any infighting in Hex when we were there that I knew of, Sulla didnt stand for it lol. :wink:

Hah, you mean Francis Urquhart perhaps not the most flattering comparison, I don't believe Sulla executed close advisors or invaded Cyprus to further his political ambitions, did you mate?

And actually, you're right GM/LV/Belisarius (why the devil didn't you choose something easier to abbreviate damn you?), infighting never really got off the ground, dissent was communicated to Sulla, the Hex would quietly leak a warning to the dissenter and the issue would be resolved amicably over msn or PM, worked damned well, mostly, lol.

Hah, you mean Francis Urquhart perhaps not the most flattering comparison, I don't believe Sulla executed close advisors or invaded Cyprus to further his political ambitions, did you mate?
    If he did, do you think we'd ever find out? :wink:

i'm instantly forced to think of the "illness" of Spartan now...
    i can thaty becoming a conspiracy theory hehehe

and did we ever find out what happened to smack?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast