Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011 TWC Mod Awards Winners

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Default Re: 2011 TWC Mod Awards Winners

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Congratulations on your award, but your work deserves more recognition as the fact that you are a nice person.
    And on top of that, he's the most craziest Shogun 2 modder due to the fact he insists on maintaining all those bloody mods .

Maybe we should have a Radious Award .

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Congratulations to the successful nominees. Douze Points!
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

congratz to all awarded and all nominated
    I feel (at least regarding the m2tw awards, cuz i m not familiar with the rest mods since i only play m2tw) the results are totaly
    expected and well deserved!
    Bravo!

Éorl's Avatar Domesticus

Mods may be improved over the course of time through updates, by including additional content, etc, ect. Movies don't, so your example and proposal as a whole is quite ridiculous to be honest. The whole mod awards as it was set up could be considered as a popularity contest anyways, unless you would have a capable jury with modding knowledge to cast their votes. Anyways it's over and done, so its best to move on I guess.
    Wrong. Movies can (and are) improved, through director's cuts, extented versions, or Geroge Dumbass Lucas' nth iteration of Star Wars with new cgi crap cluttering the frame. These may not enter the competition, though.

What needs to be considered - in my eyes at least - is if a mod can be re-nominated by evaluating if the improvements/tweaks are significant enough to excuse a new nomination. Otherwise, I could enter a mod, then change a texture of teeny weeny model xyzinsignificant and enter again next year (extreme example, yes) - which would be ridiculous, of course. Reworks of existing stuff without adding to or changing the experience of playing a mod significantly should not be allowed to enter the competition.

That said, congrats to the winners (congrats Joar )!
    Last edited by Éorl; May 04, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
    I read this so called Bible, and found it to be a third rate story in which this so called 'jesus' is nothing more than a shameless lampooning of Brian, which has inspired joy and laughter in millions.
    -unknown YouTube user

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by Éorl View Post
    What needs to be considered - in my eyes at least - is if a mod can be re-nominated by evaluating if the improvements/tweaks are significant enough to excuse a new nomination. Otherwise, I could enter a mod, then change a texture of teeny weeny model xyzinsignificant and enter again next year (extreme example, yes) - which would be ridiculous, of course. Reworks of existing stuff without adding to or changing the experience of playing a mod significantly should not be allowed to enter the competition.

That said, congrats to the winners (congrats Joar )!
    Those were this year's competition's rules. The thing is, time is lacking to actually download all the mods and verify this (we're roughly one person for RTW and M2TW combined and 2 for the warscape games combined, chaired by Aradan). In some cases modders asked me whether they could enter with what they did. In others, I approached the modders when the information on the forums was inconclusive. But in the end there's always an appeal to the modder's integrity: They know they should not submit unaltered or marginally altered work.

If unaltered or marginally altered work slipped into the competition anyway, that would be very disappointing. It means either our appeal was not strong enough to get the point across, or it was ignored.

However, it could as easily be that people see the names of a mod that's been around for years and just assume any new updates were marginal, without actually checking. To found an accuseation of un-sportsmanlike behaviour would take a bit more than that.
    Last edited by Muizer; May 04, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

The result in terms of number of wins by default was only to be expected from this year's nomination procedure. Too many mods or modders not showing up for true competition. I was very close not to show up, either, noticing the competition and extended nomination period by pure luck and then having only Bethencourt to respond to my hesitation.

The result in other competition categories could hide a similar problem. Voting without testing the alternative(s) means that no comparison is being made, producing a win practically by default also. Which is a shame if testing the alternative(s) would have meant a different vote, enough to bring about a different and more real overall winner.

But it's of course very difficult to do something about that. If we introduced a different voting system, we run the risk of producing other faults. For instance, if the strength of one's vote depended on how many alternatives one has tested - counting for 100% only if having tested all alternatives, 50% if having tested half of them etc - we fail to take into account the fact that those who don't check out the alternatives might vote the same after such tests, in which case the voting system would punish them for not having the time or inclination to test these options, and thereby possibly produce a different overall winner. Not to mention the problem of relying on people about their willingness to declare honestly their experience of other mods/modders, or what counts as having experience of an other mod/modder.

So, after voicing my concerns in this way, I say congratulations to all winners - even those by default! And hope for a different nomination process next year.
    Last edited by Demokritos; May 05, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Congratulation to all the winners! And I want to give a special thanks to the content staff artists who made the award icons, very nice!

Surprise: no surprises! Congratulations to all winners!

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Congratulations to all the winners

(...and thanks a lot for the strong support )
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

Omg am i the only one who think those Shogun 2 awards look sirously awsome!!!

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to them, too, for keeping TWC great.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Gratz to all the winners. Woah Darth mod, Third age and Stainless steel cleaning the table.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Congratulations to all the nominees and winners. As a modder I know it takes a 'heart' for this, and everyone, at some time, should be recognized. I like the fact that there were so many 'new faces'.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Menumorut's Avatar Ducenarius

Congrats to all who participated and especially for the winners

»MY GRAPHIC WORKSHOP« UNDER THE PARONAGE OF G☼D HIMSELF »MY ROMEII FAN ART«

Sebulba's Avatar Miles

Congratulations to all the nominees and winners.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12