Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy the Blood Pack, with its recent bugs and all?

Default Should I buy the Blood Pack, with its recent bugs and all?

I feel like buying something today and Sega's having a sale on Gamersgate. At 0.8 bucks the Blood Pack seem like a no-brainer but I've heard some complaints about its recent problems. And the mod that fix the splatter also seems to be running into trouble after new patch.

So, would you guys still recommend it? Or should I wait for CA to fix it? (which can take months, if we're optimistic)

Default Re: Should I buy the Blood Pack, with its recent bugs and all?

Might as well. Just take a 10min walk in the city and find $.80 on the ground.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

It's literally 99p, if it sucks for you then you can just disable it. I'm not a rich man by any lengths but even I can afford 99p

SomaaTheLion's Avatar Decanus

I'd definitely get it, adds a bit of fun to the game THE SLICING AND DICING .
    We the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

It's still alright even with the recent bugs, especially at that price.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by aeoleron9 View Post
    I feel like buying something today and Sega's having a sale on Gamersgate. At 0.8 bucks the Blood Pack seem like a no-brainer but I've heard some complaints about its recent problems. And the mod that fix the splatter also seems to be running into trouble after new patch.

So, would you guys still recommend it? Or should I wait for CA to fix it? (which can take months, if we're optimistic)
    I recommend to wait it, until it is fixed.

Yea, it's pretty cool. It's nice to see the blood and guts when you zoom in. Espcailly if you plan on playing the game for a huge period of time.

I think it's excellent and adds something that TW games have been crying out for. I don't think it's that over the top either - the blood spurt when a samurai stuck a general straight through the throat seemed realistic to me and it doesn't happen often enough to look stupid, or to slow the FPS down - there aren't heads flying off right left and centre either. The only thing I'd say is the blood spurt when hit by arrows needs looking at - blood wouldn't spurt like that if someone's hit by an arrow.

I hope now the line has been crossed that CA will include these effects in all TW games - preferably straight out of the box, although 99p is a small price to pay for the added grittiness the blood pack lends to the battles. Even the swords get soaked in blood - but until they've actually wounded someone, they're clean - good touch, CA.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Blackwolf's Avatar Ordinarius

It's a lot of fun to watch the enemy have their head cut off in battle. 'nuff said.

Hartassen's Avatar Biarchus

Definitely buy it. It's very cheap and you can always disable it. I ocassionally have my game zoomed in as to see the effects and it adds a lot to a game that was very bland before.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I would check some videos of it in action before purchasing. Some like it, some find it way over the top and hate it.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Yeah,definately snap it up if you are up for some over the top chanbarastyle blood shed that features numerous arterial sprays severed limbs andvpools of blood on the field. Yeah,good stuff this
    Last edited by Chevalier IX; May 03, 2012 at 07:20 PM.

a definite yes ,,it adds a lot to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I would check some videos of it in action before purchasing. Some like it, some find it way over the top and hate it.
    There's mods to tone it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    Yeah,definately snap it up if you are up for some over the top chsnnara style blood shed that features numerous arterial sprays severed limbs andvpools of blood on the field. Yeah,good stuff this
    I don't think it's over the top. Have you watched 'Deadliest Warrior' (great fun, check it out)? They frequently stab humanoid dummies that have been designed to replicate the real thing as far as skin, muscle, bone and blood are concerned, and after withdrawing the sword, the blood spurt is just as it is in Shogun 2. I mean, what do you think is likely to happen if someone gets stabbed through the throat with a sword? Haven't you ever read accounts after battles where the writer said the fields literally ran with blood? A few pools here and there is hardly over the top compared to that.

I would say one thing: running under Dx9, the blood spurt is brighter and more cartoony than it is running under Dx 11. Under Dx 11, I can't fault it.

By the way, what are these bugs you guys speak of?

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

I like how you used Deadliest Warrior as If It's factual.

Senator

Blood Pack is inspired by old jidaigeki flicks. Particularly Sanjuro, the movie that invented the anime-style blood spray. So if you like the aesthetics of Akira Kurosawa's samurai epics, you'll probably think Blood Pack is tasteful and entertaining to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    I like how you used Deadliest Warrior as If It's factual.
    He's not talking about the simulations (which are admittedly ridiculous), he was talking about the parts where they take weapons to ballistics gel torsos and sides of beef. The funny thing about weapons that kill by causing hemorrhaging, is that they cause lots and lots of hemorrhaging.

I'll give you that but not every strike hits a artery in real life.

The Blood Pack-effects are not even remotely realistic, nor has CA ever claimed that they are. Those who say otherwise need to seriously stop talking.
    CA needs competition.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hea View Post

He's not talking about the simulations (which are admittedly ridiculous), he was talking about the parts where they take weapons to ballistics gel torsos and sides of beef. The funny thing about weapons that kill by causing hemorrhaging, is that they cause lots and lots of hemorrhaging.
    Correct. In any case, as the above poster said, I am going by what I've seen in that show when they stick a real life animal with a sharp weapon. Blood, and lots of it, and that's in a creature whose heart has long since stopped beating. How much different would it be with a being who was alive prior to being perforated? I'm not talking about the spatter effects on the screen of course although I personally like them and I've never even watched one of the aforementioned movies.

I'm just pleased that CA have finally crossed that line - realistic or not. Hopefully, it means that TW in future will have blood, as it should do. Starting with sticking barbarians with the Roman Gladius.

By the way, those going around saying that people who think the blood is realistic should stop talking, I'd like to ask them one question: How do you know? Been on a medieval battlefield? I'm guessing the reality is somewhere in the middle, but for me the blood effects are not over the top. Ask yourself this as well: if they were too subtle, would you even notice them?

Anyway, what are the bugs you guys mentioned? Haven't seen anything wrong myself, apart from dismemberment being confined to heads - would be good to see arms go sometimes as well.
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; May 03, 2012 at 07:16 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast