Thread: The Phoenix....(The bird not the other Phoenix....all 20 of them)

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Default The Phoenix....(The bird not the other Phoenix....all 20 of them)

It's just been running through my head these days, see I have seen images of a bird ccalled the Hoatszin in which strangely looks a lot like a Phoenix, and I can believe that that would be the inspiration on it, except it is located in South America, not Africa/Middle East/Europe, like some would expect, I'm drawing blanks and I am wondering if anyone can help me with connections, and possibly have a discussion on this amazing (Possibly Real) Mythological bird.

Hoatzin

Phoenix, see any similarities?

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: The Phoenix....(The bird not the other Phoenix....all 20 of them)

The Hoatzin's weird. It has claws at the ends of its wings, according to wiki/
    But, yeah, it's range was probably much more widespread at one time, much like the lion, so it's very possible it inspired the legend of the Phoenix. As they say, every myth or legend has a bit of truth at its core.

hmm Phoenix... isnt he suppose to be in flames? i have never saw any bird similar to flamed bird Phoenix... ohh, wait.. i have... sorry my bad! ... we just had chicken for lunch =))
    Sitarus Originalus Pontifex Maximus -30+
    Gen. von Sitar
    also known as original-30+
    Slovenci kremeniti!

Katrina's Avatar Brrrrrrr...

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarus Originalus PM-30+
    hmm Phoenix... isnt he suppose to be in flames? i have never saw any bird similar to flamed bird Phoenix... ohh, wait.. i have... sorry my bad! ... we just had chicken for lunch =))
    haha. funny...

anyways, yes, intresting find. i see similarity and i am certain with a little bit of background research you could find some information worth knowing on your inquiries.

if they were at all related, i'm sure that the Hoatzin did inspire something of the pheonix's intresting personality traits and background.

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

Lovely bird, does it come in any color variations besides that?
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

carl-the-conqueror's Avatar Centenarius

yeah it does, cant be the european pheonix though because it lives in central america

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by carl-the-conqueror
    yeah it does, cant be the european pheonix though because it lives in central america
    It's range may have been wider at one time.