Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I cant stop cheating

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: I cant stop cheating

GOOD LORD! I FIND THIS ON ANOTHER TOPIC!! (post first, search later is a terrible habit... like cheat)

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    Well you have 2 ways.
    Either you can pop this into your campaign script -
    Code:
    disable_shortcuts object_manager show_console true
    Or, you can use this file and copy it into SS6.3\preferences\

The first way isn't save compatible, the second one is.
    Exactly what I looking for! Only have to test, now... And hope this to be save compatible...

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

The campaign script one isn't save game compatible.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    Ok, I will disable that key.

In the very same post, Gracul also post a save compatible file to disable console (I think it's a key.dat file), but the link gone with Megaupload.

I send a PM to him, but if anyone can help here... I tried to mod key.dat by my self, but the game always reset my file to the original one.

Did you save the file and set it to Read Only?

Off course I... didn't.
    Ahn... should I? How can I do that?

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Strengelicher View Post
    This.

And this.
    "This" posts are da bomb. You should get auto-rep for that.
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by Delvecchio1975 View Post
    It's always funny when it comes about cheat. I mean, admit that you cheated and ask for redemption.
    "Forgive me father because I cheated".

By the way... after a great disband time, my economy is recovering quickly and I dont hav to cheat anymore. The Sicilian are no more, so no long a threat in the seas and I disband most of my navy, I'm reconciled with the pope and disbanded most of my militias. I keep only the highly trained ones but they already's outdated since Sergeant Spearman is more common now.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvecchio1975 View Post
    Correct. However, I would consider auto-rep as cheating and disable it.

I have spent some more time pondering about the unability to stop cheating that has apparently befallen some people. My theory is that the phenomenon is related to serotonin, a neurotransmitter our body produces, and which makes us ... happy. Our brain and body can be trained to a certain degree to "reward" us for certain achievements in life by shedding serotonin. The effects are similar to those produced by the consumption of certain drugs or dried fungi. Now some people enjoy a short-term success, while others like to work long-term on a difficult task and derive more satisfaction from the feeling of having achieved something which is difficult to obtain. In the end, it is really a condition of brain and body. Scientific studies suggest that certain behaviour (like excessive surfing in the internet or excessively playing certain games with continuous short-term success (such as the diablo series)) will cause a change in the structure of our brain and adapt it as to better reward short-term achievements. If that happens, the person in question will be less willing to dedicate him/herself to long-term tasks without continuous "little successes". If the "little successes" are lacking, some kind of depravation is felt, and the person will become distracted and turn to something more rewarding on the short term.

Even if my theory is correct, I would not be able to derive much practical advice from it for the OP. If a person suffering from the urge to "cheat" knew how to disable cheats in the game files, would that same person not re-enable cheats shortly thereafter? So it still seems the best to rip out the # key. Or, in other words: this.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

This:

I have spent some more time pondering about the unability to stop cheating that has apparently befallen some people. My theory is that the phenomenon is related to serotonin, a neurotransmitter our body produces, and which makes us ... happy. Our brain and body can be trained to a certain degree to "reward" us for certain achievements in life by shedding serotonin. The effects are similar to those produced by the consumption of certain drugs or dried fungi. Now some people enjoy a short-term success, while others like to work long-term on a difficult task and derive more satisfaction from the feeling of having achieved something which is difficult to obtain. In the end, it is really a condition of brain and body. Scientific studies suggest that certain behaviour (like excessive surfing in the internet or excessively playing certain games with continuous short-term success (such as the diablo series)) will cause a change in the structure of our brain and adapt it as to better reward short-term achievements. If that happens, the person in question will be less willing to dedicate him/herself to long-term tasks without continuous "little successes". If the "little successes" are lacking, some kind of depravation is felt, and the person will become distracted and turn to something more rewarding on the short term.

Even if my theory is correct, I would not be able to derive much practical advice from it for the OP. If a person suffering from the urge to "cheat" knew how to disable cheats in the game files, would that same person not re-enable cheats shortly thereafter? So it still seems the best to rip out the # key. Or, in other words: this.
    Science flies you to the moon.
    Religion flies you into buildings.

Victor Stenger

Agreed with you. But everyone has some self-control and if the cheats arent so like a "chocolate over the table", I resist the temptation. For most games I play, I prefer to dont know ANY cheat at all to never get the temptation to cheat. I love to play Civilization too and I never tried to cheat it. I play this game on marathon time-scale (looooong gaaaames) and love to do a slow and intelligent game, with right alliances and good planned wars. I almost never am the most powerful nation until final third of the game and excite me to struggle with powerful nations and oversmart then most of the times, or even backstab an very powerful nation when they are weak. I know some cheats for Civ3 when I used to play it, but they are much more complicated to use than typing "add_money" so I never used.

The most exciting part for me is to develop the cities, not the battles. I'm pleased when I finally build something expensive, something that I waited for too long, and all my cities are producing something continuously and my empire seens to be evolving. But when my economy sunk and I cant build like always, I start to cheat. Also, in the beginning of the game, see the AI with all that fancy settlementes makes me unwittingly think "that's not fair. I want a city like this one. Maybe I'm just rebalancing things". I know this is the game balance for the AI is stupid. I always play in VH/VH and I know can beat the AI without cheats, like I already did many times. But sometimes I the things up... I MEAN... cheat the things up.

In short terms...

I have the discipline to take something from myself to prevent me from using it, but if I have it readily available, I end up using it even if it is not utterly necessary.

Fortunately I am not like this in other things of my life.

Anthropoid's Avatar Tiro
    In the nether regions of the Puritan hinterlands

It is impossible to 'cheat' against a computer 'opponent.' You are only cheating yourself in so much as you are denying yourself the experience of the game dynamics without inordinate intervention into the intended constraints and opportunities of the designers

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
    It is impossible to 'cheat' against a computer 'opponent.' You are only cheating yourself in so much as you are denying yourself the experience of the game dynamics without inordinate intervention into the intended constraints and opportunities of the designers
    you won the Internet, sir
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

I started a new campaign with the console disabled. And is impossible to turn it on again in the same campaign.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Petrobras View Post
    Off course I... didn't.
    Ahn... should I? How can I do that?
    >Right Click
    >Properties
    >"Read Only"

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Petrobras View Post
    GOOD LORD! I FIND THIS ON ANOTHER TOPIC!! (post first, search later is a terrible habit... like cheat)

Exactly what I looking for! Only have to test, now... And hope this to be save compatible...
    This is a tad bit of an old thread. And I don't really need to disable the console. I have a lot more self control than I used to, but I still don't want it there. But anyway, I put that code in campaign_scripts.txt and I'm still able to use the console I put the code at the very bottom. Is there something else I needed to do to get the code to work? Or did I use the wrong .txt file?
    Last edited by Karthago; June 22, 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Paragon's Avatar Senator

I'm sorry, but I had to copy your theory elsewhere. In order for you to forgive me and make sure that doens't happen again, I'm going to remove the ctrl, c and v keys.

First, an unrelated question. an you really autorep yourseles?

While your theory is ertainly interesting, you aren't taking into aount that there are many more fators in the human body that ould ounter the effets in your theory and therefore your theory would stop being alid. The last line in your first paragraph is the key part of it though: you must know how durable are these effets and how you an hange from short trem suess seahing and short suess searhing.

Also serotonin is a kinda important part of the hormonal emission after haing sexual relations. I'm not sure how does that and your theory work together, but it's gotta be disturbing.
    This is my Aragonese AAR, One Single Man

If you read and comment, there WILL be cake!

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Can someone with the keys.dat fix reupload it? I've tried the campaign_script.txt fix, no-go. In my free time I've tried a play-through but the console always gets the better of me for mundane things which leads to full on auto_win and process_cq and add_money. Can someone spare me the 'just don't cheat' talk and list a way to remove the console? I would be extremely grateful to whoever does.

Reloading>Skill building, Stakes at gates>Effective tactic. Use console to give yourself money >Cheating.

Toggle_fow interesting for role playing.
    add_population= circumvent an annoying requirement.
    process_cq circumvent the broken construction.

process_cq structures are fine as long as u got the money for it. in medieval 2 we had a third of the structures with half of the building time. Now adays it takes forever too finish construction in anything large city or above. With neither of the structures giving much in economic growth.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast