Thread: Third Age for RTW?

Default Third Age for RTW?

Just Wondering if theres a Third Age for RTW instead of M2TW coz the M2TW Version is massive and my computer some reason doesnt like it i can run stainless steel and other big games fine but Third Age just seems 2 hate me
    Last edited by AeacidesOfEpirus; May 03, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Third Age for RTW?

There is a mod that displays the events of the War of the ring according to the movies and and the books.It is called Lord of the rings Total war - you can find it in the Rome:Total war Hosted Modifications section,right next to this mod .

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeBG View Post
    There is a mod that displays the events of the War of the ring according to the movies and the books. It is called Lord of the rings Total war - you can find it in the Rome:Total war Hosted Modifications section,right next to this mod .
    Fixed.

Ye ive already played that 1 but i just isnt the same as Third Age anyway im act ganan try it again with lower settings and unit size and hope 2 god i can atleast play battles

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

LOTR-TW is the only one for RTW. (At least in TWC)

Quote Originally Posted by Clagius View Post
    LOTR-TW is the only one for RTW. (At least in TWC)
    Well, it is not entirely true. It is the only one mod for R: TW that draws inspiration from the movies and is set in the War of the Ring. But there is one other, much older, unfinished mod that draws inspiration from the books:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It’s not in a very playable state, tough... Well, custom battles could be amusing for someone.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

yeah, not to mention LOTR-TW is actually for Alex, which not everyone has them...

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Well Aradan,actually LOTR - TW is mostly according to the movies but what is not in the movies ,it gets from the books so i think it's safe to say it's according to the movies and books

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Well Aradan,actually LOTR - TW is mostly according to the movies but what is not in the movies ,it gets from the books so i think it's safe to say it's according to the movies and books
    Heresy!
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Relax, did he say it was from the LoTR books?

LOTR TW strives to recreate the film trilogy experience, and it does so extremely well. There's something about the units that makes them look more convincing than the Third Age ones. I'm not quite sure what it is... probably the colours, or the fact that Uruk Hai actually bear the white hand of Saruman (and that's actually Isengard's faction symbol).. Third Age also uses a Lurtz model for a whole unit of Uruk-hai, which is silly. Also, LOTRTW uses only the LOTR music which is better than Third Age's mix and mash of LOTR and M2TW music (really immersion breaking). LOTR has the added benefit of Roma Surrectum trees and nice environments as well.

EDIT: Don't mean to sound like a critic, I also love Third Age, which is easily one of the best mods for M2TW. But it has its faults.

EDIT2: Actually, Third Age is easily one of the best mods for ANY game.
    Last edited by atheniandp; May 03, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

touché

It was mostly a tongue-in-cheek remark, but if you insist...

Movie-based = using the books inconsistently to plug gaps the movies didn't address
    Book-based = using the books consistently, especially when books and movies contradict each other

Actually, wlesmana and Bardo haven't made any attempt to hide the fact the mod is movie-based. That's actually wlesmana's stated purpose of its creation, recreating the epic battle scenes from the movies. And the 'direction' of the mod is very much battle-oriented, with a relatively thin and arcade-y campaign layer, mainly designed to provide the necessary balance for the resulting battles.

So, I didn't really mean it as an insult or attempt to degrade the mod; that's what they were going for, a movie-like battle-based mod, and they are doing a pretty good job, I think; in terms of battlemap experience, much better than TATW.

EDIT: Wow, I'm way too slow...

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Now I will await rage redirection... at you.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post

EDIT: Don't mean to sound like a critic, I also love Third Age, which is easily one of the best mods for M2TW. But it has its faults.
    Well, it's Medieval II.

Impossible. See above
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

What bothers me about MedII is the fact that many things, particularly environments are unmoddable as of yet. There is something amazing about custom environments in RTW mods that makes them so distinguishable and a comprehensive departure from the original game. Fourth Age and Roma Surrectum come to mind.

As of campaign gameplay... I can't say too much because I haven't played Third Age for any extended period of time (so much to do, so little time). I don't see why we should bash any mod, I think all the LOTR-type mods are genius in their own right. Even the unfinished Middle-Earth TW has its advantages.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Sorry to post in this old thread but I got to respond to this one. Environments for m2tw are modifiable.

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Much less than RTW ones. BTW, a Third Age submod for FATW anyone?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Well I don't think the team are currently up for it, with the release of DoM coming up () and some other stuff ()