Thread: How can I make a new faction?

Lonck's Avatar Centenarius

Default How can I make a new faction?

in either R:TW or BI
    how can I make a new faction, give it 2 slave settlements and make the merc units in the area to be recuited by the new faction.

Gaius Drakan's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: How can I make a new faction?

This may have to be answered by someone more knowledgable than me, as I haven't played and TW games for over a year.
    I'm pretty sure however, that you can't create new factions, only edit existing ones. I may be wrong though.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You can only edit existing ones because the game is hardcoded. So you will have to eliminate one faction as use/mod it to be your new faction. Most people take the Brutii ad Scipii slots for this, and take out the Senate to make Julii the united Roman faction.

there is a hard coded limit of 21 factions including slaves, count those listed in descr_sm_factions but I'm sure both vanilla games have 21 - so you need to adapt an existing one. Units that are bought as mercenaries can be bought by any faction, these units have mercenary_unit description in EDU, and slave ownership:
    type merc bosphoran infantry
    dictionary merc_bosphoran_infantry ; Bosphoran Mercenaries
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Heavy_1
    soldier merc_bosphoran_infantry, 40, 0, 1.1
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, hardy, mercenary_unit
    formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 9, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 25 ,0.67
    stat_pri_attr spear, spear_bonus_8
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25 ,0.9
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 8, 8, 6, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 3
    stat_ground 1,0,1,1
    stat_mental 12, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 729, 240, 60, 90, 600
    ownership slave
    to give these units to other factions I think you have to copy and paste their equivalent of this section in EDU, give a new name to 'type', remove mercenary_unit attribute and add faction to ownership line.
    Sorry can't remember if this means you have to do anything to unit enums /text /unit cards.

EDIT: Hader posted whilst I was writing this, he's right on factions to use in RTW, in BI there's quite a few 'spare non-playable ones', ie. slavs, romano_brits, empire_east/west_rebels, ostrogoths, but you need to know how to disable the triggers / relationships that would normally bring them on.
    Last edited by makanyane; June 19, 2006 at 04:21 PM.

Lonck's Avatar Centenarius

well thnx very helpful.

What exactly is involved in modding the Western Roman Rebel faction to be a playable faction? Creating a Justinian era minimod, and want to use it as the Ghassanid faction. I know how to change the name. That part is not an issue. However, when I make the W Roman Rebel faction playable, give them an identical family tree as another faction, give them usable charcter names, and give them 2 settlements in descr_strat, the game crashes. Aer there any files I'm missing? Anythign I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Stuie's Avatar Laudir Agus Mir

Did you edit descr_sm_factions.txt and remove the "shadowed_by empire_west_rebels" and "shadowing empire_west" statements?

To use empire_west_rebels for a different playable faction and prevent any weird behaviour later you need to remove
    dead_until_resurrected &
    re_emergent
    lines for them in descr_strat;
    and 'shadowed by' & 'shadowing' bits in sm_factions for them and empire_west.

Can you explain in more detail EXACTLY when your game crashes, is it a CTD or return to menu and have you got -show_err on your shortcut, if so any message?

When you assigned character names where they existing EWR names from their section in descr_names.txt or have you added a new section for them? if so did you also add any new names to data/text/names.txt? When you gave settlements to them in descr_strat did you move the positions of the original owners armies?

EDIT: note to self - when leaving reply half finished whilst eating dinner - check if someone else has replied before submitting own reply!

removed dead_until_resurrected & re_emergent. Did NOT change the faction_sm file at all. will make a go of that this weekend. Thanks.