Thread: [WIP] Historical Rifles

Default [WIP] Historical Rifles

Hi there folks,

Here's the deal, I feel that, currently, Darthmod is a little too far to the balance side of balance vs realism, and I respect Darth's choice as far as development goes, I figured I could put together a simple mod altering the performance of rifle units.

My basic concept is to improve the base reload of all Minie and Breechloader weapons, with Breechloaders seeing a large improvement, alongside slightly better accuracy for "modern" units such as foreign marines and Imperial/Shogunate/Republican Infantry and Guards. They won't be as ridiculous as the machine-gun lasers of vanilla, but my goal is to make them much more deadly overall than their current darthmod iterations.

Furthermore, since these weapons are not highly dependent on user skill for reload, I want to reduce the reload bonus for experience gained, but there's a caveat here; experience bonuses aren't applied to specific units, they're flat bonuses for everything, so reducing the bonus for modern units means that archers and teppo units will also not improve as quickly in reload skill, which is not entirely representative. Depending on results of testing, I may also increase ammunition supplies to account for higher rates of fire.

My personal preference is to alter the reload xp bonus, as modern units are more prevelant, so there's less, in my opinion, negative consequence, but I'm perfectly willing to release one version with the unchanged XP system, and one with my own modifications if people would like the option.

Now, keep in mind, I'm not going to do this until 4.0 comes out, given stat changes will be involved for the new (woot) bayonets, and it will require some testing to get things "right," but I encourage any and all to post their own suggestions or preferences while I work on this. Building .pack files isn't especially challenging, so I'm more than willing to put together all sorts of "custom" packages.
    Therefore, I conclude, that Valve should announce Half Life 2 Episode 3.

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: [WIP] Historical Rifles

Sounds great! Thx i was waiting for something like that

Avarge rate of fire of Batalion or a comparable unit was no more than 4/5 shots per minute with breechloaders. Rifled muskets armed units could fire around 2 shots. Thats becouse some people reloaded faster and some slower, some werent firing at all, there was a need to preserve amunition etc.

There is a good example from Prusso-Danish war where around 180 danes atacked bit smaller force of prussians armed with dreyse needle guns. Danes lunched a bayonet charge but prussian volleys were intense and atack halted at around 150 meters and reformed into firing line. This engagement than lasted 20 minutes after which danes withdrew with around 40% killed and wounded (many were lightly wounded and left the field by themsleves or will minor help so danes lost 20-30%)

Theroetical max ranges were around

1500 meters for chassepot
    800 meters for rifled muskets
    600 meters for dreyse

Avarge range of frefight during franco prussian war was around 250 meters.
    Last edited by FilipVonZietek; May 03, 2012 at 04:21 AM.

What sort of ranges you thought?
    I was kind of thinking - 300ish for modern rifles, 250-275 for the line infantry / levy infantry and then sharpshooters at 325.

Ranges are something I'm going to look at after the fact; the problem is TW battles are always simplified in distances, and giving riflemen their historical range would be...problematic. I'll undoubtedly improve them, but it'll require a lot more testing than rates of fire and accuracy, as there are simple limitations in the capacity of Total War battles to represent the sheer distances involved in "modern" battles.

My plan of attack is release basic stat mods first, and then delve into range tweaks thereafter.
    Therefore, I conclude, that Valve should announce Half Life 2 Episode 3.

It ought to be also worth considering to draw some kind of line that max\"long" in-game range would account more for harassing\somewhat inaccurate fire (with the exception of sharpshooters or so) rather than consider it to be practically effective compared to say ½ of their total range etc. How to adjust accuracy values to fit in such model is probably going to be rather tricky, but it also would be fairly realistic despite some obvious abstractions and presumption that most soldiers would be only "average" rather than exceptional crackshots.

I lowered the spread of every gun by 2. IT's fine then.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

watcha waitin for, pony?
    Upload the file, and i will get you CUPCAKES!

Quote Originally Posted by SillySausage View Post
    watcha waitin for, pony?
    Upload the file, and i will get you CUPCAKES!
    Who me? I dun like cupcakes D:

But it's easy! Just download the PFM, find the projectiles table, and lower the max deviance for all boshin weapons to whatever seems right to you.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

thx, trying out now! (this game loads sooooooo slow)
    and you will not ger ANY cupcakes, despite that you hint was really helpful
    U MAD PONY?