Thread: can't fight battles, CTD just started

Default can't fight battles, CTD just started

So I have a Spartan campaign going for a few weeks now and everything has been fine. About a week ago I got a CTD (crash to desktop) at the end of a battle, first one on this mod, and didn't think much of it. Since then they have become more and more frequent mostly at the end of battles but now today I try and play and I get CTD every time I try to fight a battle on map. I had 2 battles yesterday, one of which I got a CTD at the end and so I replayed it and won again. Now today I can't even try to fight on map or I get CTD at the end of the loading screen. I really hope it's fixable cause I have a really good campaign going. This is with and without running the script, tried it both ways.

Default Re: can't fight battles, CTD just started

Do you have Autosave activ?

ya it is but I don't use it, how do I turn it off?

edit: nvm I found it, TYVM it worked!!!
    Last edited by z28man; August 20, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

The reason for the CTD's, as you've found out, is that RTW invokes the Autosave feature if it is turned on every time you fight a battle or end a turn. Since Autosave is buggy and was never fixed, it will start causing CTD's a LOT. It's probably because Autosave uses only one file in the save directory (autosave.sav), and if the file has a bug or error in it, autosave keeps using the corrupt file over and over until the number and severity of the errors causes multiple CTD's. I've actually had CTD's one the very FIRST TURN because of autosave being on....so it must be disabled.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

that's strange, to think all this time my CTDs were probably because of that

edit: ok well it worked at first but then I set all the options back to normal like screen res and whatnot and now it's crashing again
    Last edited by z28man; August 20, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

ok so i quit using auto save, every time I go into rs settings it resets my in game audio and visual settings. If I set them back to where I had them I get CTD when I try to load the battle, if I leave everything as is I can get into battle but it crashes during the battle. It's a large battle if it makes a difference but I've never had problems like this. I have a high end custom built machine that plays many newer games on highest settings like BF4, shogun 2, and so on not to mention it's stable through benchmarks and tests so it can't be my computer, least I wouldn't think.

Senator

I used to get crashes periodically, however I discovered a way to stop this and I've not had any in some time.
    The RTW, BI & ALEX exe files are all locked to not use anymore than 2GB, so even if you have 8GB of RAM installed, it will never use more than 2GB, with mods adding so much more to the game it would have to use more resources.
    I got hold of a program which enables you to open the exe file, remove the 2GB limitation and since then the game runs so much better.

The program is called CFF Explorer, the cause of your crashes may or may not be memory related, however doing this will make the game run better anyway.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by zonks40 View Post
    I used to get crashes periodically, however I discovered a way to stop this and I've not had any in some time.
    The RTW, BI & ALEX exe files are all locked to not use anymore than 2GB, so even if you have 8GB of RAM installed, it will never use more than 2GB, with mods adding so much more to the game it would have to use more resources.
    I got hold of a program which enables you to open the exe file, remove the 2GB limitation and since then the game runs so much better.

The program is called CFF Explorer, the cause of your crashes may or may not be memory related, however doing this will make the game run better anyway.
    Wow, can you tell us a bit more about this little program!
    Is it possible to utilize the full 4 or 8 GB memory? You just install it and it works in the background? Or do you have to start it before starting the game...

Does it make a big difference on game speed (loading times, unit size fps issues and so forth)?

Curiuos!

ok I'm going to look it up and try it. Sounds like the same problem Supreme Commander had back in the day and with the battle I'm trying to load being very large I suppose it could be. I'll see if I can find this cff explorer and hope for the best. It would make sense cause I have all the extra bells and whistles on too like high res units and stuff

edit: so I found the cff loader and IT WORKED!!!!! I played the battle with all my original settings and I won and no crash!!!! The game does seem to run a bit smoother too. That cff loader is so awesome I might have to go play Supreme Commander now that I have a fix for the 2GB problem lol. Zonks you are the friggin MAN!!!!!!!
    the link I got it from was http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...ter-battle-CTD about half way down are download and use instructions
    Last edited by z28man; August 21, 2013 at 09:38 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Sorry guys, this discussion has started to violate the TOS of the site. Closing thread.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father