Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: TEd battle map editor announced (.pdf documentation in OP)

Default Re: TEd battle map editor announced (.pdf documentation in OP)

This is nice, but as it's been stated by others I'd rather have some sort of way to edit the campaign map. Still, this is pretty nice, and would be great for future games as well.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Finally, I will be able to recreate the stunning map that is Grassy Flatland for testing units on

A+++ News
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

Thanks CA! As much as some people are whining a map editor is a step in the right direction. I can´t wait to play around with this.

Hopefully this is a sign for things to come.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I can't believe some of the comments on here.

"Better than nothing."

That's a pretty spoiled way of looking at it. They spent time working on this, then give it to us for free. They heard us out, and chose to do this for us, and the best some of you can come up with is, "Good enough"?

Sure, this isn't a campaign map editor. But it's a step in the right direction, and for that, I am grateful.

I still want them to fix my damn game, but that's for another thread.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

one step in the right direction..hopefully they get a map editor out and we'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    I can't believe some of the comments on here.

"Better than nothing."

That's a pretty spoiled way of looking at it. They spent time working on this, then give it to us for free. They heard us out, and chose to do this for us, and the best some of you can come up with is, "Good enough"?

Sure, this isn't a campaign map editor. But it's a step in the right direction, and for that, I am grateful.

I still want them to fix my damn game, but that's for another thread.
    They are slow though. A strategy game should include a map editor on release, or present it sometimes after release, not a whole year afte. Worse, the game utilizes the same game engine that's been in use for 3 different games, so they have plenty of time to prove that they heard the fans.

Their excuse about time/financial cost involved is funny also. Support for tools for making user created content should be a conscious decision during development, esp. for a series with HUGE modding community like total war. You cant build such a community over night, and they are what keep a game going strong despite its age. Sadly in recent years CA has not been really helpful to its own supporters, (un?)intentionally hinder players' ability to mod its game. My Sins of solar empire, Starcraft 1, 2, Warcraft 3, heroes 6 all included functional map makers. Even Crysis, a FPS game, had one.

I appreciate CA's effort to bring this tool to the community, but its not really convincing. They let me down so many times already.
    Last edited by kronpas; May 03, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I don't think campaign map editor will be in near future either due to economic or technical reasons. Until there are maybe 5-10 AAA developers releasing games like Total War (Imperial Glory don't count) don't expect something like Skyrim mod tools.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

^ thats what im worrying about. CA has no direct competitor, the closest to Total war was Imperial Glory or something and that game sucked badly. Theres no reason for them to appease their core/hardcore fans, since with Total war's rep soars higher than ever with shogun 2, they gain a whole gen of 'mutiplayer' customer who typically buy the game, jump straight into multiplayer matchs, play for 50++ hours or so, then leave for another game. Those player doesnt require custom content to have fun, all they need is constant stream of "new units" DLCs, and CA did just that. Its no different from, say, Call of Duty series where "new" map packs with new maps + guns cost a lot but sell like hot cakes. Avatar conquest players might love the Sengoku Jidai DLC since the new units bring much needed strategy variety, but somebody only does single player campaign shouldnt have to shell out 5USD when those units were essentially free during the past. Its just cheap.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

when those units were essentially free during the past. Its just cheap.
    In the past? Was there even a Akazonae cavalry during the first Shogun? (Of course not.)

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

you know what I meant

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

I have no idea. The fact that this units are obscure does not deserve them to be in vanilla on the get go, an obscure cavalry unit which is just another glorified term for yari toting cavalry or another more obscure unit wearing sendai-do-gusoku.

In fact if we want it to be all historical, then as Anton said.

As for the unit variety, if we were to better historicize the campaign, I could cut out almost every unit, minus the long-yari ashigaru, bow ashigaru and teppo ashigaru, with the samurai being represented as part of the general unit or as the officer of an ashigaru unit.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    ^ thats what im worrying about. CA has no direct competitor, the closest to Total war was Imperial Glory or something and that game sucked badly. Theres no reason for them to appease their core/hardcore fans, since with Total war's rep soars higher than ever with shogun 2, they gain a whole gen of 'mutiplayer' customer who typically buy the game, jump straight into multiplayer matchs, play for 50++ hours or so, then leave for another game. Those player doesnt require custom content to have fun, all they need is constant stream of "new units" DLCs, and CA did just that. Its no different from, say, Call of Duty series where "new" map packs with new maps + guns cost a lot but sell like hot cakes. Avatar conquest players might love the Sengoku Jidai DLC since the new units bring much needed strategy variety, but somebody only does single player campaign shouldnt have to shell out 5USD when those units were essentially free during the past. Its just cheap.
    Steam stats show somthing like 25% of the total player base even plays a single multiplayer match, and the numbers get bleaker after that when you look at the number of people who win 10 multiplayer games. If you are playing multiplayer for 50 hours you should be winning more then 10 games.

Tho be honest out of the 17 people i know who play shogun 2 IRL not a single one has spent more then a couple of hours in any mulitplayer outside of co-op campaigns and even then its not such a long time playing multiplayer as the thing is so buggy with save games (i.e. i see a full stack while partner player sees a stack of 6 units) that for any extended period it is not worth the time. We just use a custom version of the MTW2 beta co-op patch to rock out multiplayer.

Mulitplayer TW games are basically a bad joke.
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

Indefinitely Banned

From as far back as playing rome online, the multiplayer was pretty small there compared to now, i actually enjoy multiplayer, the avatar screen can be a bit sticky sometimes, and co op would be great once its fixed, since desnych are annoying, but i wouldn't go as far a wishing it away, single player is great, but sometimes bashing a ai just gets boring after a while, since it so predictable, and that somthings imo the co op will give more playability once it fixed. Multiplayer in general is great, if you play with people you know, vs people you don't no, you tend to roll over them if your using teamspeak, its great! Plus i use to brag alot about my total war prowness, so it nice to see i can go and prove my armchair general skills against others. Just needs to be fixed, especially the co op.

I do like my singleplayer to, when i wanna lock myself in total immersion with a cuppa, and creme the poor ai

That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    They are slow though. A strategy game should include a map editor on release, or present it sometimes after release, not a whole year afte. Worse, the game utilizes the same game engine that's been in use for 3 different games, so they have plenty of time to prove that they heard the fans.

Their excuse about time/financial cost involved is funny also. Support for tools for making user created content should be a conscious decision during development, esp. for a series with HUGE modding community like total war. You cant build such a community over night, and they are what keep a game going strong despite its age. Sadly in recent years CA has not been really helpful to its own supporters, (un?)intentionally hinder players' ability to mod its game. My Sins of solar empire, Starcraft 1, 2, Warcraft 3, heroes 6 all included functional map makers. Even Crysis, a FPS game, had one.

I appreciate CA's effort to bring this tool to the community, but its not really convincing. They let me down so many times already.
    That's what Im talking about. That is a very spoiled attitude. CA does this, for free, and all they get is a, "Not good enough."

Im not saying we shouldn't ask for more, or try to show that we deserve more, all Im saying is at least give a damn "Thank you."

We want mod support. We do not "deserve" mod support.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

I ve shown my gratitude before, I dont have to repeat it in each and every single post I make on this topic.
    Last edited by kronpas; May 04, 2012 at 08:47 AM.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Y`know when I first saw this announcement, in my skim-reading excitement, I was really hoping it was going to be a full-on Mod Tool, almost like something from Bethesda. I was somewhat disappointed that it was really dedicated to MP since I know that`s kinda like getting half what the forum asked for. I know the forum wanted mod tools that could edit SP stuff especially for offline Campaigns- And that would`ve really got my blessing.

But, well, at least it might help do something for Offline.

Fantastic addition to the series!
    Support Totalwar Youtubers:
    Jackiefish commentary my Quarter final match tosa cup*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcr52zUAoTo
    Showing Pointman a 2v3 Tactic: He does well and carries it out to perfection first time*..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrfDUr8f6M&feature=plcp
    Aggony Clan 1v1 Tournament match: Multiple casters check description for their youtube channels*:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoz8nS7ulY

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Y`know when I first saw this announcement, in my skim-reading excitement, I was really hoping it was going to be a full-on Mod Tool, almost like something from Bethesda. I was somewhat disappointed that it was really dedicated to MP since I know that`s kinda like getting half what the forum asked for. I know the forum wanted mod tools that could edit SP stuff especially for offline Campaigns- And that would`ve really got my blessing.

But, well, at least it might help do something for Offline.

You can. I believe there is already a thread making plans for unique castles.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    You can. I believe there is already a thread making plans for unique castles.
    If there`s one thing I`ve learned in life is nothing is set in stone until it actually happens.

There have been many plans for many things which didn`t happen because of situations unexpected that stopped it. Let`s wait for the release of the Editor, before we get too excited, eh?

Hello everybody, I think this is a good news and we buyers of this game thanks very much to employees of CA for their work. I don't want to be mean but CA did very well last year with around 600,000 of copies of Shogun 2 sold. I think that if CA will ask for around 2 Euro for a TEd campaign map editor (what ever they call it) around 250,000 from 600,000 of gamers that buy S2 will buy this tool also. So CA bleed your employees put them in chains but make that tool and charge us because you run a bussiness after all.
    So thanks again for your time bla bla bla we wait for your invoice.