Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: TEd battle map editor announced (.pdf documentation in OP)

Default Re: TEd battle map editor announced

Quote Originally Posted by scope2007 View Post
    I have noticed a lot of people asking about what sort of mod tools we are getting next, even though Craig has specifically said - not to expect any further 'tools'. I too am hoping for further modding tools, however I believe that any future development tools rely solely on the successes of TEd - before any further investment is made.

The way I read Craig's post, is that CA have taken a bit of a gamble with 'TEd' - both in time which could have been spent developing something profitable, and costs. Due to the pressures of the community, it's likely that CA have managed to talk their lofty overlords at SEGA into allowing them to invest this time and money into developing a user tool - with no guarantee of any sort of profit due to increased sales.

If we want a chance of any further tools, TEd has to be a success - and become a well used tool within the community.

Show CA what we can do, and how much of a difference mod tools make to us - and then we might be in with a chance of seeing new tools in the future. (Although there is no solid guarantee)
    As I said in other threads, CA should learn from Blizzard's lession: every strategy game of it since StarCraft included a map editor, with warcraft 3 and SC2 the most advanced, completed tools given to users of the time. In the end, Warcraft 3 custom maps are what kept the game alive even after 10 years. But the map editor must not be an half-hearted effort.

From what I read, theres no way to incorporate maps into singleplayer campaign, which means the editor essentially excludes folks that do single player campaign only. A pity :\

renegade765's Avatar Civis

Awesome Craig! Since Napoleon my faiths been restored a bit, but stuff like this goes further to make me a loyal customer once again. I'll be sure to buy FotS once I stop being poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    The hordes of MP boys will decry balance
    the hordes of graphics aficionados will decry the lack of gloss
    then there are the load-time-is-too-slow advocates, then there are the odd assortment who have CTD problems.

Then they'll say, "what about us? So you've been fiddling around "this" when you should be solving our issues first dammit!"

OH! And the NTW-DLC-new-grand-campaign-map-thing lobbyist will make a cameo as well.
    the first three, not yet.

the last two, even before you posted that

And all the "CAMPAIGN MAP!!!!!" people...did you read what he said at all?

I wonder if they'll use steam workshop to share maps and stuff!

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

This is awesome! Thank you CA for this tool

Really cool, CA!

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: TEd battle map editor announced (.pdf documentation in OP)

Yeahhh! Great thing CA!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scope2007 View Post
    I have noticed a lot of people asking about what sort of mod tools we are getting next, even though Craig has specifically said - not to expect any further 'tools'. I too am hoping for further modding tools, however I believe that any future development tools rely solely on the successes of TEd - before any further investment is made.

The way I read Craig's post, is that CA have taken a bit of a gamble with 'TEd' - both in time which could have been spent developing something profitable, and costs. Due to the pressures of the community, it's likely that CA have managed to talk their lofty overlords at SEGA into allowing them to invest this time and money into developing a user tool - with no guarantee of any sort of profit due to increased sales.

If we want a chance of any further tools, TEd has to be a success - and become a well used tool within the community.

Show CA what we can do, and how much of a difference mod tools make to us - and then we might be in with a chance of seeing new tools in the future. (Although there is no solid guarantee)
    Totally agree with you, im REALLY grateful to CA and the team who worked on this free tool, still speechless, and have a deep admiration for the team and the fact they took the time to bring us it!, hopefully not to much sweat, blood and tears was shed, but to quote Rommel, sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and modding tools save both

Just saying thanks again CA! Really am over the moon about this!

Also any news on a Rome 2 yet? or Great War?

Edit: Looking forward to having a dabble with TEd myself, ill try and a make a shogun era ww1 map, with a bunker of some sort to place my gatlin gun, and the key postion objective that will force players to venture out into no mans land in order to win lotsa trenches using the terrain and colouring!

gonna be sweet
    Last edited by AgentGB; May 03, 2012 at 03:53 AM.

I think a campaign map editor would of been better received by the modding community, but I realize that is probably way more work than this one. Either way, seems to be a step in the right direction.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Very good move. Now you just need to make one for NTW. And what about your updated campaign map ?

Sorry to always go back to that, but we are not all interested in Japanese settings.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Not necessarily creating a NTW or ETW one but giving informations about the editor to allow modders to adapt it.

Personally, I will not move to S2TW/FoTS because :
    • it is still impossible to mod campaign map
    • it is still impossible to mod models
    • i'm too deeply involved into ETW modding and my work can not be imported into S2TW game engine

As I ask in my previous post, could CA answer to this question :
    For older files, bone indices are stored in the .rigid_model file.
    For newer .rigid_model_v2 files, they are still probaby there.
    But, I don't know where they are or how they're stored.
    Last edited by wangrin; May 03, 2012 at 05:31 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

This tool is better than nothing, so, I'm grateful to CA.
    Nevertheless, what I really would like to see was a tool to edit the campaign map (the heart of every TW game).

LordBiggums's Avatar Tiro

I'm confused. This is just a map editor.... not modding tools?

Props for CA, makes me glad I bought FoTS at release.

The truth is campaign modding ala the glorious RTW/M2 days simply won't happen anymore, especially with Sega breathing down CA's necks about how they're giving away too much content

But oh well, at least we can still work with those older TWs, while CA can work on improving the newer TW games with changes that were not possible via modding. As long as they keep pushing for better games, I'm OK with this. Now just give me a Warring States:TW on a new engine with better CAI and you can take all my money CA.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

I thought it meant campaign map, but battle map is awesome as well! Thanks CA

scope2007's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by aeoleron9 View Post
    Props for CA, makes me glad I bought FoTS at release.

The truth is campaign modding ala the glorious RTW/M2 days simply won't happen anymore, especially with Sega breathing down CA's necks about how they're giving away too much content

But oh well, at least we can still work with those older TWs, while CA can work on improving the newer TW games with changes that were not possible via modding. As long as they keep pushing for better games, I'm OK with this. Now just give me a Warring States:TW on a new engine with better CAI and you can take all my money CA.
    I agree. As we live in the dreaded age of "DLC", most publishers have a complete stranglehold on what the developers can release to the general public. If you give a player the ability create and do pretty much anything with the game as if it was a sandbox - then the publisher will not make any revenue off of paid DLC - as there will be no incentive to buy it with a whole plethora of free content around.

The sad thing is that a lot of the time, the user made modifications are better than paid dlc by and large - and instead of developers upping thier game and releasing professional, full content addons to give that incentive to buy - it is usually decided that SDK tools will not be developed for user use to circumvent this 'problem'.

On the other hand, I truely believe that CA are not the bad guys here - compared to other more greed orientated companies *cough cough* Activision and EA *cough cough* - CA have been quite generous in what they have given us for free.

Whearas Activision would charge you in the region of £10 for 4 extra maps, for games like Call of Duty (and usually half of it is rehashed content from previous games), or EA charging you for single items like a new style of fridge or a golden toilet for the Sims - Small things which we have recieved free with patches, and taken for granted in PC gaming over the last decade...

CA have given us a massive amount of free content alongside the paid stuff, about 10 free multiplayer maps, a new prestige mode, retroactively allowing 40vs40 battles in vanilla shogun 2 for those who don't own FotS, and now a map editor - I would have imagined SEGA would have clamped right down on this. But it seems they only have partial publishing rights - due to the use of Steam which is technically a platform for self publishing for developers. (a good example of this is rebellion who are about to release Sniper Elite V2 on PC, and consoles. The PC version has competitive multiplayer, but the console version doesn't. This was explained that the console publisher 303 games had control over the console version and would likely want to release this mode as paid DLC... whereas Rebellion are publishing themselves through steam on PC, and therefore have the power to override the publisher and put this mode on PC for free).

Besides this people have to appreciate that many of these tools dont exist in a user friendly and intuituve"tile by tile / copy and paste" sort of way, and campaign maps for instance are probably made by creating individual made to fit models in a 3D modelling program like 3dsmax, a team of texturers, and then coders using something like C++ to tie it all together - so it isn't like they always have a toolkit and they just won't release it.
    Last edited by scope2007; May 03, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
    -Scope

Author of:

Ninja Hero Mod V3.0 (For Hattori, Tokugawa and FOTS Factions) *Released 08/06/2013* - Addition of new FOTS campaign Shinobi Hero unit, rebalancing and new unit randomisation.

Besides this people have to appreciate that many of these tools dont exist in a user friendly and intuituve"tile by tile / copy and paste" sort of way, and campaign maps for instance are probably made by creating individual made to fit models in a 3D modelling program like 3dsmax, a team of texturers, and then coders using something like C++ to tie it all together - so it isn't like they always have a toolkit and they just won't release it.
    I'm a huge fan of Blizzard's games, perhaps because of that I'm a spoiled kid but compared to Blizz's effort with their strategy games, CA's "effort" is just ... pathetic. Granted, no games are the same, but telling people you wont got your hand on a proper, good mod tool/custom map maker/map editor is just deceiving. But to me this map editor is a good start, so Ill wait and see.

thenks a lot, a great stuff.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by LordBiggums View Post
    I'm confused. This is just a map editor.... not modding tools?
    Map editing is modding in a sense.

Wow...Thanks CA, of course a campaign editor would be better and I hope for such a thing in the future, but this is indeed a great leap forward!

Thank you for listening to the community and delivering
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA