Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: TEd battle map editor announced (.pdf documentation in OP)

pbwu1f's Avatar Civis

Default Re: TEd battle map editor announced

Have you guys discussed the possibility of releasing a CK (creation kit) like the nice guys over in Bethesda did a while back? In my opinion I think what Bethesda did with Skyrim was great and once they released the CK it was already at a different level. What do you think?

Roma...will....fall.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

but please don’t expect a guaranteed flow of fabled ‘tools’ from here on.
    Lol, within 5 pages and a couple of minutes, its already starting to appear, the clamor and expectation for more.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

Without wanting to sound like the bad guy, we have to be realistic about what we can deliver. This tool cost us a lot of time, money, blood, sweat and tears to get out. Don't expect a flurry of additional tools to follow, but please do enjoy this one and show us what you can do with it.

Zack-Stefy's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    Without wanting to sound like the bad guy, we have to be realistic about what we can deliver. This tool cost us a lot of time, money, blood, sweat and tears to get out. Don't expect a flurry of additional tools to follow, but please do enjoy this one and show us what you can do with it.
    Congratulations for this announcement !
    But I have one question: can we expect other mod tools in the future?

Zack-Stefy I think we can, in fact we should expect the Campaign map editor next

Is there a difference between The Editor and the battle editor from M2TW, RTW, MTW?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

A very nice, highly appreciated and totally unexpected early May 18th announcement.
    Thank you very much CA!

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Civis

How does CA work with this complex code? Wouldn't it be incredibly hard for you, and especially any new members of your development team to properly code the game?

How did you get to such a complex code?

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Is there a difference between The Editor and the battle editor from M2TW, RTW, MTW?
    The editor from M2 and RTW was unsupportable and is basically the same idea - editing cities, battle maps, terrain on battlemaps. The older editor was buggy and this one should be more powerful and supported. Basically a lot better.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

But it isn't new, Battle Map editor was in Medieval Total War (the original) as well.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    There is all sorts of data compiled into the campaign map format - so a "campaign map editor tool" alone wouldn't solve the problem (we actually use third-party modelling tools for creating the geometry and such a tool doesn't exist in our tool chain), our database editor plugs into that, then there's campaign code, pathfinding code, locomotion, etc.
    Thanks for your reply, Craig. Can I ask what 3rd party modelling tools you use to create the geometry? Anything we may have heard of, like a 3d modelling package or a GIS?
    Last edited by Muizer; May 02, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Legio XII's Avatar Semisalis

Well done, chaps! I'm quite looking forward to getting to know this beautiful tool.

Aaaaaannnnnddd...here comes the inevitable "but": is there anything, ANYTHING, that would make an editable campaign map a reality? Pleeeeaase? I'll do anything! Pretty please?

Idea time: for the next major release, maybe build from the ground up, with modding in mind (mapping, units, etc.)? Hell, if such modding support were included (in say, Rome II ), I'd be more than willing to shell out $60-70 for such a game. Or even better, build kick-ass editors like this one from the start, and release them as DLC. I'd pay for that too.

Letharius's Avatar Foederatus

*Alot of bowing and scraping, The kind of bowing and scraping which would make even the greatest adepts at bowing and scraping look as if they were failing miserably at it*

Now this is worth opening that new bottle of scotch for!
    ''History does not remember evil men kindly, but I'll have you remember this! That without evil men you wouldn't have history altoghether. ''

So, just a heads up, I think CA is pretty awesome right now. Thanks guys, I can't wait to see what our modders do with this!
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Thanks a lot CA. This gesture will certainly remind the community who you make the games for....

On that note, you've mentioned that MP battle maps will be acquired when an opponent joins the battle - can the same be true for SP maps? If I make a pack of maps, will I be able to release the data to the general public to also use? Also, if I start going nuts, is the AI going to have a problem... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    But it isn't new, Battle Map editor was in Medieval Total War (the original) as well.
    That was also a different game engine. The engine used for Empire, Nap and Shogun II is far more complex. Which makes this editor new and hopefully also more complex with more features as well as easier to use functions. Point is the idea is not new but the editor is.

Garett20's Avatar Foederatus

Wasn't Sega already saying that you were offering to much for the price? This could make things worse

Aragorn1963's Avatar Biarchus

Which TW games can be edited with this tool and what can be done with it for example?

Bah Curse my school for not letting me see this awesome announcement today. Now I have to celebrate on the 5th page.

I think CA chose the right time to release tw battles because could you imagine what would of happened if they had said somthing before?

Can we modify castles or is it just for the regular battle?

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

THIS IS A DAMN GOOD STEP!
    O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: