Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Decision]Custom User Title for all Members

Default Re: [Decision]Custom User Title for all Members

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    I've never said that
    Wasn't directed at you in particular - my bad. Just think there's no real reason to change things up besides the "equality" argument which I think is flawed - inequality plus the knowledge that there exists something "more" motivates people to contribute more in order to attain the said "more". Given that I feel inaction may be the best course of action here.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

We should not restrict native site function from normal members, as this site is primarily for them.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Ehhh....Yo OP....

Tech stuff wise....How much of a hassle{or not} would it be to implement this now, and then again when you'all switch over to the new software?....
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Aikanįr's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Just curious - have any of the circumstances surrounding this idea changed since the last proposal? Or is it a case of let's try again?
    Nothing has changed, just a reshearsal on the Ferris wheel.

This decission is poor. There is no reasoning, there is not even an attempt to convince the CVRIA that there's any benefit at all for us from the proposer.
    Since the proposer could not be bothered with anything besides posting links to previous failed predecessors and therewith is showing a "I propose this but I really don't care for it anyways" attitude, there's no option but to oppose this.

Very, very poor.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanįr View Post

This decission is poor. There is no reasoning, there is not even an attempt to convince the CVRIA that there's any benefit at all for us from the proposer.
    Tis an old issue my friend that has roots deep in the earth. This is a secular community, rich in diversity. Being able to set your own title is a nice little addon that all memebers should be able to enjoy.

The train of thought that it carries weight as incentive to gain citizenship, passed from validity eons ago.....

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

Nothing has changed, just a reshearsal on the Ferris wheel.

Since the proposer could not be bothered with anything besides posting links to previous failed predecessors and therewith is showing a "I propose this but I really don't care for it anyways" attitude, there's no option but to oppose this.

Very, very poor.
    Nothing is needed. This is something we have been denying users, I think there will be grateful people if we make it available to everyone. I said as much in the proposal. There's really no point-counter point discussion going on here, you're either of the opinion or you aren't.

Regarding technical hassle - none.
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; April 30, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze View Post
    Tis an old issue my friend that has roots deep in the earth. This is a secular community, rich in diversity. Being able to set your own title is a nice little addon that all memebers should be able to enjoy.

The train of thought that it carries weight as incentive to gain citizenship, passed from validity eons ago.....
    2010 is not exactly old or deep rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky View Post
    Nothing is needed. This is something we have been denying users, I think there will be grateful people if we make it available to everyone. I said as much in the proposal.

Will it make people grateful? Really?
    Whom will it make grateful and grateful to whom?
    And what benefit will it bring the CVRIA?
    If it won't benefit the CVRIA how and why might it benefit the site?
    Can you provide any evidence for any supposed benefit?

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Ite...sold on the cheap then ...

Support!!!...

Anyone that previously wanted to set it but couldn't.

And not everything the Curia does has to benefit itself.

Blog Entries

Anyone that previously wanted to set it but couldn't.
    To paraphrase Q, who has perfectly put it: you mean everyone who was aware of the feature and desired it for himself, which indicates an already seasoned user who in contrary could always have chosen to contribute something to the site to get promoted in rank and thus to achieve the ability to change his user title.

The user not even has to apply for citizenship, contributing to content staff would suffice, wouldn't it?

And not everything the Curia does has to benefit itself.
    Of course not, but you avoid answering my questions. I asked you how it would benefit the site, if it does not benefit the CVRIA, can't you think of a benefit for the site or why aren't you answering?

So not convinced.

I don't want people in Content Staff because they get a custom user title. If that's someone's reason, it's a poor one.

I think people would enjoy it - that is all. I don't need another reason.

Blog Entries

I don't want people in Content Staff because they get a custom user title. If that's someone's reason, it's a poor one.
    Fair enough.

I think people would enjoy it - that is all. I don't need another reason.
    Very generous of you.
    But still not convincing. If you can't come up with something more convincing than that, I very much doubt that you will have a chance to get this decission pass.

I mean, really if we are honest custom user titles mean nothing, just like reputation means nothing at all.
    It's just a waste of ressources with wich TWC used to reward those members of the site who contribute to it.
    Has this stance towards rewarding contributing members changed?
    Or has the approach to non-contributing members changed?

I still can't see any reason nor any striking argument to make anybody disagreeing with this decission in the first place even hesitate to think about changing his mind, thus I stand with my assessment that it has been half-heartedly presented and poorly promoted and thus I oppose it.

More info on the topic for those not familiar with it....

[VOTE FINISHED: FAILED] [Decision] Restrict User Titles to Citizens ( 12345678)
    the Black Prince

Semantics....Tis a push, eh...Two years on the internet is a lifetime. In that span of time good, solid members come, contribute, and then vanish into the abysis...

* Well I was gratefull to receive mine as I'm sure others are. Not all though...of course there are some who don't care either way.

* Is not the curia's function to do things that benefit the site? Happy members pass the word, and then others stop by and have a look. Will giving the title to all makes a large number of members happy? Yes it will.... Does giving the ability to all detract from the institution of citizenship, ...No.

I mean, really if we are honest custom user titles mean nothing, just like reputation means nothing at all.
    It's just a waste of ressources with wich TWC used to reward those members of the site who contribute to it.
    Has this stance towards rewarding contributing members changed?
    Or has the approach to non-contributing members changed?

I still can't see any reason nor any striking argument to make anybody disagreeing with this decission in the first place even hesitate to think about changing his mind, thus I stand with my assessment that it has been half-heartedly presented and poorly promoted and thus I oppose it.
    *Then why oppose it? And btw I notice that you are enjoying, displaying your useless Rep just as many of us are....

* Kay...a member's presence bennefits the site. Membership patronage of the site, generates the advertising income that helps support the site.

* No one is better than anyone esle, bar none. At least that's what I was taught to beleive.

* To each their own, and this is where we dis-agree. "Custom User Titles for all." Self explanatory to me cuz I've seen the issues countless times since I've been here.

I respect your feelings though...to each their own....
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; April 30, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Sųren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

I support keeping this as a minor perk of citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by Sųren View Post
    I support keeping this as a minor perk of citizenship.
    If I may...

Do you think that anyone seeking citizenship factors the Custom user title into the equation?

Blog Entries

More info on the topic for those not familiar with it....
    I am well aware of this

Semantics....Tis a push, eh...Two years on the internet is a lifetime. In that span of time good, solid members come, contribute, and then vanish into the abysis...
    I totally fail to see any difference in the measurement or flow of time in comparison to off the web and on the web terms. I have seen this argument presented so many times on so many different occasions on I don't know how many websites without ever providing anything but this statement. Not a single proof or evidence, really, this is just a statement, without any solid base whatsoever but personal bias.

* Well I was gratefull to receive mine as I'm sure others are. Not all though...of course there are some who don't care either way.
    So it can be either appreciated or disregarded.

* Is not the curia's function to do things that benefit the site? Happy members pass the word, and then others stop by and have a look. Will giving the title to all makes a large number of members happy? Yes it will.... Does giving the ability to all detract from the institution of citizenship, ...No.
    Do happy users tell other people of the site? That may or may not be.
    Does having a custom user title make people happy? That may or may not be.
    Is it, till now, a perk for contributing members? Yes.
    Should non contributing members receive perks besides avatars, signatures, pms, vms, reputations and user profiles? Why?

*The why oppose it?
    Because there has no striking reasoning nor any evidence or proof been presented besides some oneliners, some assumptions and all of this is neither convincing nor is it striking at all.

And btw I notice that you are enjoying, displaying your useless Rep just as many of us are....
    To be honest, I never bothered with displaying or undisplaying it. I use reputation as a nice tool for sending messages.

* Kay...a member's presence bennefits the site. Membership patronage of the site, generates the advertising income that helps support the site.
    You are presenting a hysteron proteron without ever providing any real evidence whatsoever. The world is round because it's round... oh well.

* No one is better than anyone esle, bar none. At least that's what I was taught to beleive.
    Splendid attitude, so please go forth and amend handing out citizenship for every full member on default.

* To each their own, and this is where we dis-agree. "Custom User Titles for all." Self explanatory to me cuz I've seen the issues countless times since I've been here.

I respect your feelings though...to each their own....
    And I respect yours, but since you fail in providing any evidence of a benefit, I oppose.

To paraphrase Lord Rahl from '10: I can't see anything wrong with providing a stimulus to contribute.
    Last edited by Aikanįr; April 30, 2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spellings

Sųren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

If I may...

Do you think that anyone seeking citizenship factors the Custom user title into the equation?
    I doubt it, I support keeping it as a little reward for posting at the level that's required to become a citizen, not as an incentive to become one.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

I believe a distinction has to be made between members and people. In real life nobody is better than anybody or perfect, but on a forum we can most certainly make that distinction. A member who spends much time giving advice and helping others is a better member than those who post a thread because they need some advice. The modders who spend countless hours making their mods are better members than those who just download them and play them. A member can be better than another member. CdeC doesn't judge people on their personality, but on their contributions. If one member isn't better than another member then the whole idea of a CdeC is hypocritical. You can't create a distinct class of members (citizens) and then go around saying that every member is equal...

On-topic: there are many ways to get a custom user title. Becoming citizen, a local mod or joining a section of staff will do the trick. Why should we just give a priviledge or cool perk to every single member? If they aren't willing to do some effort into achieving some perks they so desperately seem to want then why should we do the effort of giving away something others have to work for? Honestly this is just a non-issue to me.

Contribute to the site and you will get your precious custom user title, it's really that simple. Now that it's become clear to me that there isn't really any decent reasoning or motivation behind this proposal I will oppose this and vote no if it comes to a vote.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Oppose.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast