Thread: Things that make you go WTF

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Things that make you go WTF

whining about Sweden

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Apparently this girl has that as her imaginary friend.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a6840451.html
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

I don't know this fad of imaginary friends or how it's seen as normal. I didn't have one, nor I know but a single person among hundreds of family and acquaintances that had one, and she insists it was an actual ghost or something, so it wasn't so "imaginary" (at least for her).

It's that normal anywhere but in "Hollywood" United States?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

^I suppose that virtually all cases are not really 'imaginary friends' as much as making up plots for games (as with lego or other stuff, when one is in elementary school).

I didn't have an imaginary friend, but i had massive theories which were not tied to reality back then. (involving human kind being the plaything of a demon and other sugary stuff)
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I had an imaginary friend, he was basically a better version of myself. When you suck at everything at least you can say there is someone who doesn't and they got your back. Even if you know they were made up, I never once believed there was an actual invisible being that was my friend.
    After a certain point though it's clearly a mental disorder (no seriously).

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

The privileged world of Thailand's supernatural dolls

• 28 January 2016
    • From the sectionAsia

Image copyrightEPAA craze for eerily lifelike supernatural dolls has swept Thailand in recent months.
    Their name, "luk thep", literally translates as "child angels" and people believe they bring good fortune and they are pampered by their owners as if they were children.
    But the privileges lavished upon them have also drawn a backlash and warnings from Thai authorities.

Media captionWatch: The people who buy and sell Thailand's supernatural dollsThey get blessings from Buddhist monks

After purchasing a doll, the owner brings it to a monk who conducts a prayer and an anointing ceremony known as "plook sek".
    Such prayers are normally used to bless lucky amulets, which are also popular in Thailand, where ancient beliefs in magic are still prevalent.
    In the case of "luk thep", it is often seen as a way of animating the doll, where a wandering spirit is invited to inhabit it and give it a soul.
    Image copyrightReutersImage captionThe Bua Kwan temple in Nonthaburi is known for its "luk thep" ceremoniesThey can get airline seats - sort of

Thai Smile Airways made news this week when it said passengers could purchase tickets for the dolls who would get their own seats, snacks and drinks. But officials have since stepped in:
    "Based on international aviation rules, passengers are people. So airlines aren't allowed to sell tickets for dolls," a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand was quoted as saying in The Bangkok Post.
    Passengers can buy a second se at under their names and place their "luk theps" there, he added.
    They get to eat in fancy restaurants

At least one eatery in Bangkok has cashed in on the trend. Neta Grill said earlier this week it is offering meals for "luk theps" at child rates, adding that the restaurant is "open to all worshippers".
    Image copyrightFacebookThey get love and affection - and sometimes bling

Several owners told BBC Thai that the doll was more than just a talisman, they treat them like their own children.
    "My daughter wants a sister and friend. In her school, her friends also have luk thep... so my daughter wants to have one like other people," one buyer said.
    Image copyrightReutersImage captionThe dolls can be treated like family membersDoting owners have been known to splash out on expensive accessories and jewellery for their dolls.
    Anthropologist Asama Mungkornchai from Pattani's Prince of Songkla University said the dolls appear to be particularly popular with middle-class women, and could "fulfill the need for motherhood" among such owners.
    But the fact that many say they need it for good luck and wealth also highlights "a current sense of insecurity among the Thai middle class, especially when it comes to the economy", she added.
    Image copyrightReutersImage captionBlessed dolls can be bought in shops in BangkokBut there are critics

On Monday, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha urged Thais not to get carried away with the trend and not to buy the dolls if they cannot afford them, reportedbroadcaster Thai PBS.
    The price of a doll can range from 1,500 baht (£29, $42) to tens of thousands of baht.
    The police have also expressed concern that doll sellers have been evading import taxes, and that the dolls could be used to smuggle drugs if they were allowed on planes.
    Earlier this week, police in Chiang Mai intercepted a doll loaded with 200 tablets of the popular recreational drug "yaba".
    Image copyrightAFP/Getty ImagesImage captionPolice have arrested at least three vendors and confiscated hundreds of dolls this weekEven religious questions have been raised about the appropriateness of conducting Buddhist rituals on the dolls. The trend has sparked a backlash online, with some criticising owners as being superstitious.
    But the National Office of Buddhism told Thai PBS the "plook sek" ritual was no different from blessings given by monks for other objects such as cars, a practice that is already widely accepted.
    Pra Acharn Winai Thitapanyo, a monk at Bua Kwan temple which is known for its doll blessings, told BBC Thai: "As it does not violate our monkhood discipline, monks can recite incantations to please people."
    Image copyrightReutersImage captionDoting "luk thep" owners often dress them lavishly

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Extra creppy
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

My imaginary friend just wants to play with you. And by that I mean your blood.

Holy hell on earth, what the hell is that? But seriously, what movie is that gif from?
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

In spoiler due to a single not entirely censored term

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Come a little closer...
    Last edited by Kyriakos; February 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM.

Logios's Avatar Senator

http://www.livescience.com/53818-hitler-micropenis.html

History buffs know that Adolf Hitler had an undescended testicle, but a new review of his medical records suggests that der Führer also had other genital problems, including a condition called a micropenis.

In fact, Hitler had a slew of below-the-belt problems, according to the new book, "Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute," (Short Books Ltd, 2015), by historians Jonathan Mayo and Emma Craigie. After reading Hitler's medical records, they said they found evidence that Hitler had a condition called penile hypospadias, in which the opening to the urethra is not at the tip of the penis, but either somewhere along the shaft or at its base.
    That condition may have left him with a micropenis, and likely made it difficult to go to the bathroom, the historians said.

Oh, that's why.

Hm, how come this only now is presented? I mean it would have been great from propaganda standpoint. So on that account i am not sure if it is credible, and will rather attribute the host of Dolph's issues to being german/austrian

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Sounds like actual . Hitler only had one ball, Hitler was gay, Hitler was a lance corporal, Hitler's record showed that he was a bad soldier etc etc.
    Which by the way we already have extensive information from Hitler's medical record and military service record and none of that was ever on it.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Hitler: nature's warning against steroid abuse.

Did we change the member title theme again? I noticed that we now have a lot of Goonies.

The most retarded men's hairstyle in history. It's impossible for me to take these people seriously with a hair like that.

The real reason the redcoats lost:

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    The real reason the redcoats lost:

Lol. Murica intensifies, but that game concept looks like it took a massive steaming dump on top of historical accuracy. It's a shame that there's fairly okay music in the background for such a turd-filled dumpster fire. Then again, all of those Assassins Creed games belong in that category. They stink. At least when Dodge made their silly commercial in the same vein, they weren't taking themselves seriously: