Thread: The March of Culaan: The Unification of the Gaelic Isle

Default The March of Culaan: The Unification of the Gaelic Isle

Seeing as how I'm going to have lots of time this summer, I think I'll start working on a new, Gaelic story, detailing the bloody unification of Tethra, and, one glorious day, the invasion of Avalon itself.

This won't start tonight though. Perhaps Tuesday I'll write the first chapter to the tale of this wonderful nation
    "Romans, Senators, friends. Latium is firmly under the rule of the Senate and People of Rome. The Latin people are now one. Not since noble Brutus drove out the last king have we known such a glorious day. But now my friends, in this our of glory we must be on our guard! To the south, treacherous Greeks and Samnites block our trade. Tarquinii grows beneath a tryrant's heel. That tyrant threatens Rome! Will we abandon Tarquinii? And now Barbarians raid from the North, burning and pillaging Roman lands. Shall we let dager fester and grow? Or will we at as Romans with courage and dignity? Remember we are the Sons of Mars! As Senate leader I call upon tribunes Gaius Julius and Decius Brutus to smash the Gauls and releave Tarquinii. All those in favor say I!

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The March of Culaan: The Unification of the Gaelic Isle

Sounds fun! Can't wait.
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

You have a Faustian FF at works and it's incomplete! Get back to work, you lazy grot, or you will be reported to the Commissariat!

In all seriousness, it's nice to have some love for the Gaelics!

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Eh, no one seemed to be interested in the minute details of the Reich, and I don't feel like elaborating any further on its conquests. But I'm playing the Gaelics, and I just have to write a fic for these guys. Expect Paganism, RAGE, TOTAL WAR, and a different style from my Faustian Fic, which was meant to be a sort of excerpt from a college textbook in the reich of 450 (more than 2 centuries after the resurgence of the nations of Thera)
    "Romans, Senators, friends. Latium is firmly under the rule of the Senate and People of Rome. The Latin people are now one. Not since noble Brutus drove out the last king have we known such a glorious day. But now my friends, in this our of glory we must be on our guard! To the south, treacherous Greeks and Samnites block our trade. Tarquinii grows beneath a tryrant's heel. That tyrant threatens Rome! Will we abandon Tarquinii? And now Barbarians raid from the North, burning and pillaging Roman lands. Shall we let dager fester and grow? Or will we at as Romans with courage and dignity? Remember we are the Sons of Mars! As Senate leader I call upon tribunes Gaius Julius and Decius Brutus to smash the Gauls and releave Tarquinii. All those in favor say I!

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

Does that mean the Commisariate has passed the Reich's torch to me? Cos to be fair, your fic came before mine.
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

Indeed it does. The Reichs glory never fades, it only seems to when other nations glow brighter

Prolgouge:The Badger King

Gather round lads, an' le' me tell ya the short an' quick way of how we came to Tethra.

Once upon of time, there were no Men in Tethra.

In that long ago age, men had not left the lands of sand to the south, and the world was truly wild and untamed. Deer and elk travelled the lands in immense herds, sometimes as large as a small city, and trees grew as tall as moutnains, and lakes were as big as oceans. Fish could grow as big as longboats, or even larger, and some say such fish still live. Berries grew as big as a mans fist, and grass was as tall as the ceiling of this room. It was an age of beauty, of wonder. It was the Age of the Wild.

But not all things last, and the Age of the Wild passed, and the world entered into the Age of Men.

One long day ago, a clan sailed north from the Sands of the South. This clan was full of hardy men and women, who had lived their lives in the rugged hills of the Sands, and were amazed by the similarities of Tethra to their homeland. This clan gave its name, Teth, to these lands, for Tethra means, in the old tounge "Land of Teth". But clan Teth grew large, and the southern coasts could not support it, so it was split. The new clans left, traveling to
    the furthest reaches of Tethra, founding the villages that would one day become great cities.

One clan marched high into the mountains, and there, they met the TRUE rulers of Tethra: The Badgers. They met herds of badgers as big as men, and these herds were all united by the rule of one ancient, mighty male: The legendary Culaan himself.

This clan, the clan that would one day become known as Clan O'Neill, tamed the badgers, and made them faithful companions. However, do to so, they had to swear eternal fealty to Culaan, and swear they did. We swore to treat his children with respect and honor, to fight and die alongside them, to watch over them as they watch over us, and to let none hunt them as other animals were hunted (though the Avalonians haven't given a damn about these oaths). To mark this swearing, Culaan gave to us a fang, and it was stronger than steel, and was reforged into a the mighty claymore that Culchulain himself would wield one day. That is why we have the War-Badgers, and why we must always give thanks and offering to Great Culaan after every battle. It is why we call our king Ard Ri, "Badger King," in the old tounge.It is why I wield this sword in my hands, and it is why we fight to free all Tethra, for us Gaelics, and for our Badger-kinsmen.

Now enough talking lads, les get ta fightin!

-Ard Ri Cormac O'Neill, Hero of the Gaelic Isle
    Last edited by CommisarCain; May 02, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

New updates will be coming later this week after I get out of school for the summer!

Looks good so far, I like how you've focussed on the religious side of the Gaelics so far. I look forwards to reading more of this once school's out of the way .

I intend to mix religion and culture for the Gaelics, and indeed, for any other faction I ever write a fic for. Culture and religion used to be more interwined than they are in the modern world, so I'm trying to reflect that