Thread: Darthmod: Shogun II unofficial FAQ

Default Darthmod: Shogun II unofficial FAQ

I noticed that there have been a number of questions which have been asked a lot of times. There's also not really a single place to find the answers to those questions. I decided to gather the questions and their answers in this thread. If I missed a question which is asked very often feel free to post it below, and I'll incorporate it into the FAQ.

Q: (Darthmod Feature) is missing, did something go wrong in the installation/Is DM not working?
    A: It is very possible that the feature you are missing is one of the things which had to be removed due to the patch which came with FOTS. It changed the way datafiles are packed, and so far trying to adapt the PFM to unpack several key tables has been unsuccessful. Because of this a number of things can not be changed without causing sound bugs.

The missing features, according to Darth Vader in a thread about the state of the S2 campaign:
    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Well as the creator of the mod I cannot really find all these "a lot things missing". These that miss are mainly:
    *Special unit costs
    *Special unit recruitment options and upkeeps
    *Special character traits
    *+2 instead of +3 bonus per character upgrade
    *Increased Ship movement points
    Edited by DARTH VADER (the deleted are added in the mod now)

These are 5% of the tons of things added in DarthMod, insignificant comparing to the overall BAI and gameplay improvements.
    Yes the CA patch wounded DarthMod but it remains a Beast. Enjoy.
    As noted, the overhauled AI, morale and combat still apply

Q: When will these features be reimplemented?
    A: As soon as possible. Unfortunately, nobody knows when that is.

Q: How do I know whether DarthMod is installed properly and working?
    A: Start the launcher, and activate Darthmod and select your preferred options. When the game has launched go to the custom battle screen and look at the size of a unit of Yari ashigaru. Yari ashigaru are 200 in vanilla on ultra. In DarthMod, Yari ashigaru unit size is 250 on ultra (or 375 if you selected 1.5 unit size)

Q: I want to change the options but the asterisk (*) doesn't move
    A: The arterisk denotes the default options. If you select one of the default DarthMod options the options marked with an asterisk will be activated. The asterisk does not move and does not show what options are activated. One of the unfortunate drawbacks of the launcher is that it does not show what options are activated

Q: Then how will I know what options are active?
    A: re-activate them, and they will certainly be active. Alternatively, you could look in the data folder in your Shogun 2 folder and look at the pack files there. You could also manually move the pack files of the mods you want from the DMS folder in the Data folder to the data folder.

Q: Is there another way?
    A: Yes. There are several alternate launchers available in the submods section.

Q: How do I play multiplayer?
    A: You can play multiplayer. However, your opponent would have to set his DarthMod settings to the exact same as yours. The probability of this happening isn't very high. The alternative is selecting a default Darthmod setting (1x or 1.5x) and hoping there is someone. Of course, with a bit of coordination you could find an opponent either here on the forums or in the steam group.

Q: Can I play vanilla multiplayer?
    A: That's the easiest way to play multiplayer. Of course, you miss out on all of the Darthmod features but there is simply a much larger chance of running into an opponent in vanilla.
    Simply select the "disable darthmod" option in the launcher. Once you wish to reactivate Darthmod you will have to select every option you want again, unfortunately. Luckily, someone found another way:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjin-San View Post
    Ok I think I found the easiest way to disable DMS for MP and re enable it for SP again.

Backup your preferences and user script, then delete it. Next, "Disable DMS to play vanilla" in the launcher. If you can't remember the options you chose, memorize them or write them down. Finally, remove any other data files from mods and back them up as well, I recommend you create a folder called "backup" where you move your files, so you can easily copy paste them back when you're done with SP (you don't need to remove DMS data files, since they are somehow disabled). Now maybe you have to change the unit size to something else than small in the ingame options, but I don't know if this step is really required for MP.

Now you can play MP.

If you want to play DMS again:
    Start DMS launcher, choose the options you had. Next, copy back your scripts (preferences, user) and any other data files from other mods you deleted. Now all should work. Don't forget to change the unit size in the ingame options to your preferred setting.
    Q: (option) is not working/bows have rifle sounds
    A: You either have submods (some of them mess with the DMS options) or did not install properly. Remove all mods and reinstall.

Q: Unit size of starting units is wrong!
    A: This is a known bug. The size of ashigaru units was changed to balance them (Ashigaru are now an important part of SJ armies as they should be, but they still suffer from low morale and low fighting skills) but unfortunately this does not apply to the starting units. Any units trained afterwards will have the correct size.

Q: I want to play with normal unit size
    A: Set Darthmod to the 1x multiplier in the launcher. Alternatively, go to the options menu and set unit size to your preference. The unit size says small, but that's simply because the menu does not have a name for the 1.5 unit size and therefore shows it as the first option (which is small)

Q: The ashigaru are still the wrong size
    A: As noted above, ashigaru unit size was changed as part of the DarthMod balancing. Should you wish to change this, there are two options.
    1) Download the PFM editor in the Shogun 2 mod tools subforum, go to the "Units_land" table, and search for the ashigaru. Set the unit size of all ashigaru types (normal, oda and hattori) to 200 and bow ashigaru to 160. Ikko Ikki yari ashigaru are 250 and ikko bow ashigaru are 200.
    *Note that this WILL affect the balance of your game and may impact the AI recruitment in some way. Choose this option if you believe ashigaru are too powerful
    2) You can edit the script yourself by pressing the appropriate button in the launcher. If you set the unit size multiplier to 0.8 ashigaru will have their vanilla unit size.
    *This multiplied the size of ALL units by 0.8, so it will not only affect the size of ashigaru units but the size of ALL units. However, balance is retained since all units will be 20% smaller. Use this option if the increased unit size for ashigaru is causing you performance problems.
    ***Please note that all changes to unit size, whether through menu or through the unit multiplier, only take effect after starting a new campaign

That's everything so far. If anyone knows another frequently asked question or if I made a mistake please notify me in the thread. I'll do my best to find the answer and add them to the FAQ.
    Last edited by DARTH VADER; May 31, 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Updated my quote
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Default Re: Darthmod: Shogun II unofficial FAQ

Thanks for this. That will save me of typing again and again the same things. More can be added in the future.

Good thinking Elitewolf. I will be happy to help you with this.
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by rob-a-dogg View Post
    Good thinking Elitewolf. I will be happy to help you with this.
    Heh, thanks

Ok I think I found the easiest way to disable DMS for MP and re enable it for SP again.

Backup your preferences and user script, then delete it. Next, "Disable DMS to play vanilla" in the launcher. If you can't remember the options you chose, memorize them or write them down. Finally, remove any other data files from mods and back them up as well, I recommend you create a folder called "backup" where you move your files, so you can easily copy paste them back when you're done with SP (you don't need to remove DMS data files, since they are somehow disabled). Now maybe you have to change the unit size to something else than small in the ingame options, but I don't know if this step is really required for MP.

Now you can play MP.

Start DMS launcher, choose the options you had. Next, copy back your scripts (preferences, user) and any other data files from other mods you deleted. Now all should work. Don't forget to change the unit size in the ingame options to your preferred setting.

This worked fine for me yesterday, will report if the "greyed out campaign" bug appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjin-San View Post

Now you can play MP.

Added it to the FAQ

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Is there a list anywhere of the unit packs used in DMS? My main concern for a mod is unit variety.

Darth mod does not add any units at the moment.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

I see, thanks for your reply.

Spinning corpses?
    Trade agreements impossible bug (all clans refuse trade regardless of relationship)?
    TWS2 PATCH SCROLLS - ENGLISH LIST OF EVERY OFFICIAL PATCH NOTES

Quote Originally Posted by Civilopedian View Post
    Spinning corpses?
    Trade agreements impossible bug (all clans refuse trade regardless of relationship)?
    These are relevant bugs but don't really belong here? This is a FAQ thread for already solved questions and problems.

Christianus's Avatar Miles

Is this this Darth mod also for Fall of the Samurai?
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Quote Originally Posted by Christianus View Post
    Is this this Darth mod also for Fall of the Samurai?
    Yup, Darthmod is for all three campaigns. But there are a few options which are specifically made for the vanilla campaign (clan recolor, oda boost, ashikaga boost, oda tokugawa alliance) and there's one made for Fall of the samurai (bayonet boost)

All other options effect all 3 campaigns.

i just wanna know how to change darth mod size unit config, i know that i have to puit unit size 1x but i dont know how, i open shogun2 and just appears a square to i select to activate or not ''darthmod_shogun_sw.pack but nothing to i config, plz help me and sorry my english im brasilean and love your mod

omg my pc just change it to my language

i just wanna know how to change unit size multiplier to 1x plz, justa appears the launcher with a square to activate if i wanna or not the mod with ''darthmod_shogun_sw.pack'' plz how i acess darthmod menu to change this?????

it changed to english now after i post 3 msg omg,im so sorry o thought that war in portuguese

plzz, how do i desable the naval changes????

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Pockerfac3 the answer is you play Bran Mac Born DMS settings.