Thread: "Anatomy of an Empire" Research Project

Default "Anatomy of an Empire" Research Project

The Model

A famous historian named Crane Brinton once analyzed the French Revolution - using his findings he created the "Anatomy of a Revolution" that - properly interpreted - can be applied to most any Revolution. He summed up this Anatomy is various stages of a Revolution.

1) the Preliminary Stage
    2) Utopian Stage
    3) Cisis Stage
    4) Thermidoran Reaction
    5) Dictatorship
    6) Restoration

This Revolution can be applied to anything From the French Revolution to the Russian revolution and propably could be applied to the American Revolution also and many others that I have yet to think about.

Anyhow that is not the goal of this thread.

The Project

To my knowledge this has not been done yet.

I mean to organize and head a research group devoted to finding parralels from empires in every time and culture and orgainising them into on General model for the Rise and Fall of States. We will study from the Egyptians, Romans and Greeks, Eastern and Western Cultures, The Napoleanic Empire, ect, ect and take common elements of each one for use in our project.

We will study the Society, Economies, Civil Codes, and Militarys of each State - finding Common Variables of each and organise our generalisation accordingly.

Make no mistake about it - this is an ambitous undertaking and should you volenteer your services I(we) expect you to make a serious commitment.

Our final results will be compiled into a Research paper and submitted to the Museaum

Yeah so if anyone is interested in a particular area of History - Eastern Culture, Roman Empire, Napoleanic Era, US History, or know a lot about your own Nations history (like the British Empire's, The Russians, Germans, ect) then I would be gratefull for your service.
    Last edited by Removed_user_012521; June 18, 2006 at 06:05 PM.

Default Re: "Anatomy of an Empire" Research Project

I guess everyone here is all talk....

IamthePope's Avatar Senator

Sorry for the lack of responses. It sounds fascinating. could you post a link explaining his theories. We'd love a deeper explanation of six stages of revolution and how they applied to the French revolution.

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever. For what is the time of a man, except that it should be interwoven with that memory of ancient things of a superior age?" -Marcus Tullius Cicero

I'll see if I can find one, if not I'll just explain them from memory.

Couldn't find a source so here it is:

Preliminary Stage: Disconten and problems leading up to the Revolution; for the French revolution this ends at the Calling of the Estates General

Utopian Stage: The Revolution is at its peak, everyone pretty much crazy over it, this begins at the Tennis Court Oath

Crisis Stage: This is where things get ugly, enemies of the Revolution are hunted down, people are being executed, basicly a very brutal unofficial Totalitarian dictatorship or Oligarchy; started at the Great Fear - includes the Great Fear, Great Terror, Revolt in the Vendee, Law of 22 Priarial

Thermidorean Reaction: Named after the month of Thermidor on the Revolutionary Calender, Robespiere was executed on 9 Thermidor causing what is know as the Thermidorean Reaction; people are tired of the blood, the fear, a time of recover and rebiulding, Revolutionary Fervor is pretty much gone

Dictatorship: self-explanatory; Napolean comes to power

Restoration: A system like that before the Preliminary Stage is set up; though slightly different; Louis the XVIII (?) becomes king od france

I guess I'll just do it by myself.

I'm kind of suprised that everyone here discusses history and politics but no one wants to take the next step and do something creative and important. You guys read ur High School history books and you stop there.

I'll post my findings in a couple months

I mean to replicate something like that for the Ris and Fall of Empires and Nations.
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; June 19, 2006 at 12:48 AM.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Stop complaining! We are slow but efficient...

Brinton, Crane. The Anatomy of Revolution, Prentice Hall, 1965.

Compared Britain, France, Russia, America

"Thus we see that certain economic grievances - usually not in the form of economic distress, but rather a feeling on the part of some of the chief enterprising groups that their opportunities for getting on in this world are unduly limited by political arrangements - would seem to be one of the symptoms of revolution." pg 34

"This conceptual scheme of the social equilibrium is probably in the long run the most useful for the sociologist of revolutions." pg 16

one key is the existing government attempted to collect monies from people who refused to pay" pg 78

contends revolution must be combination of circumstance and plot

"Actually, we must reject both extremes, for they are nonsense, and hold that revolutions do grow from seeds sown by men who want change, and that these men do do a lot of skillful gardening; but rather in soil and in a climate propitious to their work; and that the final fruits represent a collaboration between men and nature." pg 86

" In each revolution there is a point, or several points, where constituted authority is challenged by the illegal acts of revolutionists. In such instances, the routine response of any authority is to have recourse to force, police or military. Our authorities made such a response, but in each case with a striking lack of success." pg 86

"No government has ever fallen before attackers until it has lost control over its armed forces or lost the ability to use them effectively" pg 89

""We may say then that in all our revolutions there is a tendency for power to go from Right to Center to Left..."pg 123

"Their fewness is indeed one of the great sources of the extremists' strength. Great numbers are almost as unwieldy in politics as on the battlefield."pg 154 Once in power extremists have a few months or perhaps a year where they can do anything they like as no one dares to challenge them. Reign of Terror

Uniformities

1. all societies on the upgrade economically and the revolutionary movements seem to originate in the discontents of not un prosperous people who feel restraint, cramp, annoyance, rather than downright crushing oppression.

2. definite and very bitter class antagonisms

3. transfer of allegiance of the intellectuals

4. government machinery clearly inefficient, at least partly because new conditions laid an intolerable strain on governmental machinery adapted to simpler, more primitive, conditions.

5. many individuals of the old ruling class came to distrust themselves, or lose faith in the traditions and habits of their class--and becomes politically inept.
    pg 251-2

and the Wikilink

and a nice study that uses Brinton to analyze the Sandinista revolution: http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/clas/nicara...ista(full).pdf

How about an analysis of the situation in Iraq based on Brinton's views?
    http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute...es/ksil152.pdf

Even Venezuela is covered!
    In a book first published in 1938, Crane Brinton argued that revolutions have a three-stage process of development: moderate, extremist, and
    “Thermidorian” (rule by one man: Napoleon, Stalin, Mao, Castro) (Brinton 1962). It would appear, according to the evidence now available, that the
    “Chavista revolution” has mixed up the three stages into one; it combines fiery rhetoric with practices that are rooted in the past, and shows unequivocal signs of personalization and concentration of power at the presidential level. I do not think that what is happening in Venezuela can legitimately be branded a “revolution” in any rigorous sense of the term (Kaplan 1973).
    http://www.iaeal.usb.ve/91/91-7.pdf

Have fun!
    :wink:

Aye me the thread ain't about Briton's theory.

Work has officialy begun. I have bought and started reading and taking notes from The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Volumes 1-3. I will update this in six months when I'm done with it. Thanks for your help

Evan.