Thread: Geomod crashes

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Geomod crashes

I've just removed all of the vanilla units from my mod except for Peasants and S Peasant Archers. I was in the process of removing all except said units from the Descr_strat with geomod when it crashed. I rebooted geomod with my mod again, and it reached 79% loading and stops responding. The geomod log says this;

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    The following files are untraceable: 
    data\world\maps\base\map_climates.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_ground_types.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_heights.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_regions.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_features.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_fog.tga
    data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt
    data\world\maps\base\descr_sounds_music_types.txt
    data\world\maps\base\descr_terrain.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_events.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_mercenaries.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_win_conditions.txt
    data\text\historic_events.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\names.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\rebel_faction_descr.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\religions.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\expanded.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_units.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_ancillaries.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_vnvs.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\strat.txt
    data\descr_cultures.txt
    data\descr_names.txt
    data\descr_sm_resources.txt
    data\descr_sm_factions.txt
    data\descr_rebel_factions.txt
    data\descr_religions.txt
    data\export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    data\export_descr_buildings.txt
    data\export_descr_character_traits.txt
    data\export_descr_unit.txt

END

Which I find strange because those files are there... Any way to fix this?

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Geomod crashes

You apparently are pointing at the wrong directory when opening Geomod - according to the log you don't have any of those files in your mod. Before doing a long explanation, simply check my manual about it, the 'Getting started' chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You apparently are pointing at the wrong directory when opening Geomod - according to the log you don't have any of those files in your mod. Before doing a long explanation, simply check my manual about it, the 'Getting started' chapter.
    No, I'm still pointing it at the same directory as when it worked... And I do have those files. The crash happened when I was deleting units from the descr_strat. Should I just replace the all the files dealing with the units and start over?

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Blog Entries

Geomod requires the files that are listed in the message. If they are not present, then simply copy them from the ...\Medieval II Total War\tools\Geomod\M2TW_files\data folders as described in the manual ('Files Required' chapter).

Geomod will not give you this message if you have pointed at the right directory and have those files present.

Geomod requires the files that are listed in the message. If they are not present, then simply copy them from the ...\Medieval II Total War\tools\Geomod\M2TW_files\data folders as described in the manual ('Files Required' chapter).

Geomod will not give you this message if you have pointed at the right directory and have those files present.
    I went through the list and checked every single one, they were all there.

Blog Entries

I just had a look again at your first post:

If Geomod froze at 79% then the it obviously started to open your mod files because the message you quoted woudl have caused a clean abort - hence I think it is a previous error message. Unlike the game, Geomod does not create a new log every time it is started. It only creates a new log if it encounters an error - freezing prevents that.

Coming back to 79% - according to the list in my manual (page 33 - Errors and Freezes) this would be related to the descr_stat file. As it is right at the beginning of that error range I would expect a formatting error in the resources, most likely a missing or unnecessary comma in the coordinate sets. The easiest way to locate this error will be by removing the whole resource section from the descr_strat file and then add it back a couple of resources at a time.

I just had a look again at your first post:

If Geomod froze at 79% then the it obviously started to open your mod files because the message you quoted woudl have caused a clean abort - hence I think it is a previous error message. Unlike the game, Geomod does not create a new log every time it is started. It only creates a new log if it encounters an error - freezing prevents that.

Coming back to 79% - according to the list in my manual (page 33 - Errors and Freezes) this would be related to the descr_stat file. As it is right at the beginning of that error range I would expect a formatting error in the resources, most likely a missing or unnecessary comma in the coordinate sets. The easiest way to locate this error will be by removing the whole resource section from the descr_strat file and then add it back a couple of resources at a time.
    Hmm, shouldn't be the resources. I haven't edited them at all. The descr_strat does make sense though, because I was removing units from armies in the descr_strat when it happened. Okay, I'll replace my backup files. Thanks mate +Rep

Blog Entries

Did the descr_strat work before you started editing?
    If you have confirmed that it si not the resources (simply remove that section), then it could also be the sequence of playable\end nonplayabel\end etc. If one of them is not present or commented out then the freeze happens as well. check the example of an error:

Code:
    playable        
        england    
        france    
        hre    
        spain    
        venice    
    ;end        
    ;unlockable        
        sicily    
        milan    
        scotland    
        byzantium
    end
    nonplayable
        slave
    end
    The unlockable\end lines have to be there:

Code:
    playable
        england
        france
    end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
        slave
    end

Did the descr_strat work before you started editing?
    If you have confirmed that it si not the resources (simply remove that section), then it could also be the sequence of playable\end nonplayabel\end etc. If one of them is not present or commented out then the freeze happens as well. check the example of an error:

Code:
    playable        
        england    
        france    
        hre    
        spain    
        venice    
    ;end        
    ;unlockable        
        sicily    
        milan    
        scotland    
        byzantium
    end
    nonplayable
        slave
    end
    The unlockable\end lines have to be there:

Code:
    playable
        england
        france
    end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
        slave
    end
    First question - Yes, it definitely worked before I started editing it.

Second - Yes sir, that's all there.

Blog Entries

That leaves a typo somewhere in the descr_strat. I always advise to make sure Geomod starts and saves without problems BEFORE working on a mod. And then to make a backup of the concerned directories (data - the files only, base and imperial_campaign from the world folder and the data\text folder) BEFORE working on it. And then only work with Geomod as this will ensure proper formatting. Validate every step, make back ups frequently, test frequently by playing\starting the game. Geomod is a grammar Nazi and is as unforgiving...

That leaves a typo somewhere in the descr_strat. I always advise to make sure Geomod starts and saves without problems BEFORE working on a mod. And then to make a backup of the concerned directories (data - the files only, base and imperial_campaign from the world folder and the data\text folder) BEFORE working on it. And then only work with Geomod as this will ensure proper formatting. Validate every step, make back ups frequently, test frequently by playing\starting the game. Geomod is a grammar Nazi and is as unforgiving...
    Hmm makes sense... Would the descr_strat make custom battles unplayable as well? Or just the campaign?

hochmeister devin's Avatar Senator

Campaign only.
    My mods
    -Mod Leader for the Wheel Of Time This is not the beginning, but it is a beginning
    -Mod Leader for Shogun 2: Foreign Invasion if you want a mod with alot of units this is for you, not only is there the 40 units CA made theres planned to be atleast 177 NEW units when its done.
    -Modder in the World War I and Shogun II project. The only full scale mod for FOTS and it plays nothing like FOTS. FOTS may have Gatling guns, WW1&S2 has tekidanto samurai, SNLF, MGs, kisho snipers, assault infantry(shotguns) just to name a few.