Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A few questions.

Hi all

I have a few questions regarding the mod.

Why do so many legions have manica? I though it was a rare equipment to use? And it was used mainly in Tracia? And do all shields of all legions have lec on the left and right.
    Because this sub mod
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=384415 has very different shields for late legions and frankly I like them more

Whos legion are these shields:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This design with the wings and arrows is maybe the most famous and it doesnt have a lec square.

Also is there a way to display BC instead of A.U.C.?

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: A few questions.

i think that it might be the 12th legion but that is a huge guess but they were called something like strikes with lightning. and i believe i read someplace that B.C. makes the game mess up. idk about the shields and armor though thats something for the developers to answer.

But why was AUC done in the first place? Seems stupid to me.

Vasito --if by stupid you mean awkward, then yes, using AUC rather than our the more common BC/BCE makes it difficult to correlate the in-game year with what date in history it might be. The reason for doing it was a technical one within the game engine, since hitting a certain date causes effects that mod creators don't want or can't remove.

I think it's a more interesting way of looking at the date, especially since that's closer to a date that people back then might have been using.

The long and short answer is that it was far from a stupid choice.

There was an engine bug with a particular BC date that caused a crash

Its just very hard for me to coordinate stuff and events with AUC. I have to constantly google...

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

There is a CTD that occurs if AUC is not used, it is an engine bug and you can't get around it.
    That said, try this thread. I need to add this to the FAQ. Sorry about that.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

The RTW software has a built in, hard-coded civil war that is supposed to happen between the three Roman factions of Vanilla and the Senate in, I think, 67-69BC. This is a known bug that has plagued RTW for years, but was really not a problem until mods started moving the start date up, or closer to that date. The ONLY way to fix this bug and avoid the consequent CTD's is to 'fool' RTW into thinking that date is far in the 'past'. So in effect, 'AUC' is substituted for 'AD', and the year the mod starts is the 537th year after the founding of the city of Rome. This 'convinces' RTW there is never a need for the civil war.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Cant the thing be renamed to bbc or something

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

You could if you wanted to.

Something like its 1000 years before the event that causes the crash but it displays it as BBC with actual numbers of the year BC and AD Just wondering if it works that way.

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Vasito View Post
    Something like its 1000 years before the event that causes the crash but it displays it as BBC with actual numbers of the year BC and AD Just wondering if it works that way.
    You mean that 238 BC, for example, would be substituted with 1238 BC?

Yeah that sounds nice too. My idea wa in the coding of the game there would be a very ancient date but in the interface to display the true date but I have almost no idea how things work in engines. Im only good for texturing and concept...

Yeah that sounds nice too. My idea wa in the coding of the game there would be a very ancient date but in the interface to display the true date but I have almost no idea how things work in engines. Im only good for texturing and concept...
    That would of course be doable, but it would involve modification of the EXE, which is a no-no.

For that matter, just fixing the original CTD issue would be doable with EXE modification, then the date could just be left alone.

I personally think the AUC trick is a perfect compromise. Different cultures could use different dates, too... depending on their own system.

Administrator Emeritus

They already do, Selecucids (and maybe Parthia?) use SE instead of AUC. There is plenty of scope in the threads I pointed at to calculate BC/AD, I think there are 3 little programs to do it for you. I'm sorry, but as Beetlecat says, the only way to fix it other than using AUC is illegal to even discuss on TWC. It's a good compromise, better than changing the date to another fake system, just use the system the Romans themselves used.

How is modifying an exe illegal? Is it hard?

Administrator Emeritus

How is modifying an exe illegal? Is it hard?
    It is against the ToS you agreed to in creating a user account on TWC. If you want to discuss it on some other forum that is absolutely fine. In TWC, the first commandment, and one you must bear in mind at all times is "Thou shalt not discuss modifying the exe".

It is against the ToS, any further comments on this matter will be deleted.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Setting the date a 1000 years backwards wouldn't work....as the NUMBER displayed is not modifiable....only the description of what comes after the number.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

BTW Im still in the beginning and I have faced Hannibals armies a few times but I never saw war elephants. Why is that?

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

BTW Im still in the beginning and I have faced Hannibals armies a few times but I never saw war elephants. Why is that?
    Well that would be historically accurate because he lost almost all of his ele's in the Alpine passes... However his stack includes 2 units of elephants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast