Thread: New Mod Idea

Default New Mod Idea

Was thinking it would be cool to have a new modded theater that stretches along the Rhine River and along the Danube to the east of Pannonia Province. Time line would begin in 20BC (right before Augustus began pushing the Roman frontiers into Germany and to the Danube) and have it end in late Empire times. Basically, push the frontier forward and see if you can hold the line. The playble map would be most of Italy (down to Rome), most of Gaul, into Pannonia and Illyrium, part of Hungarian plain and central-north Germania.

Factions: Romans and all the rest would be barbarians. Make a few large barbarian factions that could be playable (Franks, Alammanni, Macrommani, and a couple of others). Focus of mod would not necessarily to be the barbarians but Rome. Focus on expanding Rome's borders into Germany from the Rhine and expanding border from the Alps and Adriatic coast to the Danube River...and beyond.

I am very green in modding RTW but here would be some sweet things to see:
    * Once Roman forces enter areas beyond Rhine and Danube you see increased "rebllions." Makes it very, very difficult to subdue towns across the rivers.
    * Have at least two dozen different German tribes and the ones farther north (Saxons, Franks, and Goths perhaps) send hordes toward the empire (not the forty thousand man hordes we see in BI but 2-3 stacked armies).
    * If barbarians sack Rome you lose (dont know if thats possible to script). Make barbarian hordes and rebels in areas along the Rhine/Danube provinces very, very aggressive-they like to go after cities to sack.
    * Legions can only be recruited in Italian and certain Gaul areas. All other areas are auxillary troops.
    * Lots of crossing points along the Rhine and Danubes to force the Roman player to build forts across the frontier.
    * Map is so large it requires spies, forts and lots of watchtowers (much like in SPQR).
    * Game starts in 20BC and streteches to "x" time. Your goal is to prevent the western part of the Empire from getting raped as easy as it did beginning in the 200's.
    *Also, once game progressing into like the 200's or 300's you have to worry about certain generals/areas going into rebellion and erupting into civil war.
    *Germania will of course be very heavily wooded and throughout the narrow/small roads will lots of small towns and of course tons of ambushing tribes and rebells?????? Make things very, very difficult to get going in Germania-and makes you very cautious and all the while you may run into a horde heading due south to cross the rivers to ransack your cities...
    * Has potential to be a very difficult campaign and very fun.

Phew....realistic?
    Last edited by Stalls; June 18, 2006 at 03:01 PM.

Default Re: New Mod Idea

Sounds like a good idea and very achievable.

*Easily done by alloacting specified regions with rebels with a high chance to rebel. Therefore will not rebel under the faction creator (some germanic tribe) but will rebel under roman rule
    *Easily done too with such a small area to cover and 20 faction slots
    *Make the barbarians only win condition to hold rome, then I think when they take it they will win the game - not tested tho
    *Already been done so yea can do.
    *Yup
    *Yup
    *Yup
    *Can be acheived by giving Rome a shadow faction of roman rebels.

Further ideas - traits for all barbarian generals for great ambushing.
    Could have 4 turns per year, 2 summer and 2 winter. Give barbarians great bonuses for winter to force the Romans to shelter two out of every four turns or be massacred.
    Rather than having big barbarians cities with good economic value and population, use script to spawn multiple armies, then when Rome takes a Germanic town it is pretty worthless anyway and only serves to stretch the empires resources still further.

Lol thats enough to be going on with..... good luck

Nice, thanks for quick reply and answers to my questions.
    * 4 turns a year-very good idea
    * Barbs. great bonuses for ambushing-great idea
    * GREAT idea about barb cities not being of great value and have multiple armies spawn. ONLY bonus to Romans to taking those villages is that a hundred years down the road they can develope into bigger settlements for Romans (if held that long). Plus, those towns can simply serve as a jump off point for Romans. Towns will also be inclinded to rebel a lot if not garrisoned with enough troops.

Any other modders want to add some pointers and possibly some links to do some of this stuff Like I said, Im a noob to RTW modding...but will give this a serious shot.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Everything you could ever need is here really. Just a little inteligence and lots of spare time. If you're doing it for a big release though, I would be wary that M2TW is out soon, and RTW is an old game now. Many have already dirfted off to play newer games and the boards are pretty quiet. If you want to make it for yourself, press on.

SARMATIAN LEADER's Avatar Biarchus

excellent idea!!interesting mod!!good luck to you

-Kossovo is Serbia- -Macedonia is Greek-

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his. ~George Patton

In terms of tribes/confederations in Germania Magna at this time (20BC-no set date yet) the Cherusci tribe led by Ariminus would be THE German power house in western Germania Magna. Strong tribes along the Rhine border would be the Chatti, Frisians and the eventuall Frankish horde-The Bructeri, Marsi, Sugameri, Ubii and Tencteri. To the north there will be a strong establishment of Angles and Saxons. There will have to be a few Alpine tribes entrenched in the Alps at this time (Lepontii, Vindelici and a few others). Once you push to the Danube through the Alps you'll face the Marcomanni under King Marbod across the river...good luck!

Also to the northeast will be the Vandals sitting in present day Silesia. They wont be aggresive and will follow migration paths as in history but if attacked...its on.

Lots of options.

You will need a new map, this will be very difficult. I suggest using bdh's satellite method, then following tutorials. Make it large so the land border with germany seems huge. This part of the mod will take a long time but is what will make your idea. It will be fun making the map too.

Wow, theres a LOT of crap that goes into this....lol. Wow....

30BC-400AD is that a possible time line? Is there a limit on how many years you can have? I set it at those years and at the start of the campaign it says the year is 1 AD.

BI starts in 386AD or something

This mod sounds interesting, if it lives up a bit, i might be doing some units for it (with those 512x512 textures )
    Make it a kind of mod where you add up the works of different modders (like 4pty..etc) after taking permision that way this mod will rock!
    GOOD LUCK!!

This is alreayd being done by a guy named RYman2489. His mod will be out in August.

Same type mod that I mentioned Dominus? If so...where did you read about this so I can read about it and thus kill my idea lol.

Bigger and tougher Germanic tribes: Cherusci (along Wesser River), Chatti (east side of Rhine, east-southeast of Mainz), Marcomanni (along Danube in Bohemia-bordering Raetia and Noricum), Langobardi (along the Elbe) and Vandals (Silesia area). Questions arise over using the Hermunduri and Alamanni. The last two were confederations like the Suebi was. Suggestions?

For the Alpine tribes there are really no strong tribes but thought I'd use a collection of Helvetii, Euganei, Lepentii and Vocontii. All easily conquered if prepared.

For Illyria area there are 2-3 different tribes I'd like to use but undecided.

Bordering Pannonia to the north will the Quadi (east of the Marcomanni) and to the east of Pannonia (across the Danube) the Iazyges.

Red squares show towns with regions controlled by Romans at start of campaign. The yellow squares note barbarian/non-german towns/regions south of the Rhine/Danube Province. The yellow denotes the Alpine and Illyrian tribal areas.

North of the frontier (Rhine-Danube) I simply put circles for now to show areas where certain tribes control...for now lol.

Most Roman areas on this map were only conquered in the past 20 years and arent really "Romanized" yet. Really, only along Illyrian Coast and south of Alps are "Romanized" areas. Can expect continued revolts in Gaul. Town/province that is off to side of map in Britain is for fun. I'd like to make THE TOUGHEST army around with revolts unbelievable once you take it. Why try to take it? Ah...we'll make it worth the player's reward for taking it ($$$).

Win condition for barbarins will be take Rome. If a tribe takes it game over. Anyway to script barbarians to aim for Rome??? Sorry guys, Im a noob to rtw modding.
    Last edited by Stalls; July 06, 2006 at 08:43 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Nice ideas and some good ground work, i suggest you learn how to make a map, and then ask for people to make contrbutions of units and make this mod yourself or with others if you can find help. most people will let you use thier units and it will save you alot of work. try Lusted for romans and Webbird for barbarians.

Start here. bdh map tutorial.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39035

Good luck.

do you guys got emails for webbird? I think I can find Lusted . I would love to borrow all skins for I am not a "skinner" (and of course give 100% credit where credit is due).

As for scripting...I need to do a little more reading and stuff to find some answers to what I'd like to do (if its even possible).

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The best thing to do is to pm them, there both cool guys and they won't say no,
    Webbird.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=1030
    Lusted.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/membe...stposter&f=179
    pretty much eveything you'll need to know can be found here.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/membe...stposter&f=179

From what i can see your idea is very doable, but it will take time, be prepared to do it all yourself though, that way if you do get help its a bonus