Thread: Troy: the City

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Default Troy: the City

Hi everyone,

I have been toying with this mod a little to make the camps around Troy eventually able to become cities, simply so the victor of Troy can make a VERY secure eat of power before turning to his next conquest . . . and having those cities in close proximity got me thinking . . .

Anyone who has studied the levels of Troy will probably already know that there were several sections to the city. The great wall did not encircle the entire town, just the citadel. There were lower levels that were completely undefended aside from the shields and spears of the garrison. This has made me think a little, and I reckon that the assault on Troy could be made more tedious, drawn out and exciting if you had to capture the city in parts. There could be a lower town to the south, the Scaean Gate to the West and the Dardanian Gate to the North so that rather having this:

We would have this:

This is only an idea I have at this stage. I would need to enlist the help of some experienced modders to be able to carry it out. My hopes would be that the "Lower Town" would be able to be placed at the edge of the battle map, so that it seems that it stretched on wards, and that the citadel would be visible on a hill above the town.
    For the Scaean and Dardanian Gates, my hopes would be that there was a section of low wall (Ordinary stone wall) that can be scaled by ladders or breached by rams with city and a town center beyond it. The wall would have to stretch across the battle map. I am certain that this is not possible . . .
    For the citadel itself, I would hope that there was some way to scale down the city, but keep the epic stone walls so that the fighting can be drawn closer together. I would also hope to place some buildings and houses outside the city, lining the streets inside and offering cover to advancing armies.

To tie this all in together on the campaign map, there would need to be some molding done that makes the city appear to spill out of the main "Troia Citadel" city and envelop the other settlements. I would also aim to make this model effect the battle map for the plains around Troy (For battles that happen near the city, a section of wall is available, and the Citadel of Troy can clearly be seen in the distance upon a plateau).

I understand that a lot of this would be largely impossible to implement, but if there is anyone who has enough experience in this area who would like to help, please let me know.

Default Re: Troy: the City

This is an amazing idea, and would make a great addition to the mod! I'm not sure if it's possible, but you could always ask the RS2 team- they seem to be quite good at pushing the RTW engine to work with settlement designs which had never been put in by the developers. Them, or the Age of Darkness 2 team- I know that they've somehow managed to create internal fortresses for the Late Roman and Byzantine settlements.
    Co-Leader of BRITANNIAE: INVASIO SAXONUM

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for the support A.R I first got the idea of playing with the city back with TTW when I saw someones attempt to mod the city of Rome (can't remember where I saw that) but the project was unfinished.

Recently I have admired the works of the LOTR TW team regarding the cities of middle earth:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=430433

Especially helms deep, though I will need to wait for my copy of Alex to be returned before I can check it out closer

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

looks good nikolos,good idea

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Thanks Granto, loved the work that you did with the environment mod you did a few months back. Have you had any molding experience?? Mod wise, not naked lady photo wise . . . we'll talk about that later haha

Domesticus

Something new with your idea?

Are you working on?