Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse Texture "Fix" -updated for patch22

Default Horse Texture "Fix" -updated for patch22

Couple of small changes to horse textures here (I haven't seen any other mod like that, but if there is, please let me know).

I've improved normal maps of all horses, so they no longer look like made of marshmallow or balloons.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here's a before/after screenshot:

Also, I've fixed small brown horse hair issue (bald patch):

Now it looks like the rest of them.

I've tweaked reins texture a little bit, making it little darker, and hopefully not that flat, fixing small issue with missing alpha channel in saddle used by light cavalry.

It's not much, but I've found it refreshing.
    Works with vanilla, RotS, and FotS, as they all use the same horse model.
    Screenshots were made with ultra texture settings, so I'm not sure how it looks like with lower settings (Probably little less "crispy").

Installation:
    Pack file is in zip file attached below, goes to Shogun2 data folder. Movie format, so nothing else required of you to do. But I guess you know the drill

File mod_bullgod_horses_saddles.pack contains horse textures plus saddles.

Enjoy.

UPDATE:
    Hopefully fixed bug introduced with patch22 to light cavalry horses. Let me know if there are any issues with that fix.
    New version has also slightly retextured horse masks for general's horses, which I've made some time ago.

mod_BullGod_horsesV2.pack contains horse and reins textures, so it is updated mod_Bullgod_horses_saddles.pack actually. I just decided to keep the old file for some hard to explain reason...
    Last edited by BullGod; August 15, 2012 at 07:56 AM.

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Default Re: Horse Texture "Fix"

nice work...a little fix that makes a big difference up close + rep to you sir!

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

I will gonna try this one on evening.

Excellent work yet again Bullgod
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

This is realism!
    I will try it soon

V.E.

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Cool, the difference is huge ! Thank you for this mod

Icon2 Re: Horse Texture "Fix"

Nice Mod, but The Hedge Knight made the same mod like you! Not sure if its 1:1 like The Hedge Knight did?

Look here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=437574

Or read his Changelog:

V2.05
    Fixed roads and borders
    Corrected pack name.

V2.00
    -More unit variety accross more units (including Monks )
    -New textures
    -Renormal mapped Horses
    -New Cannon barrel Texture
    -Reduced gloss in some places
    -Loan Sword Ashigaru Fixed
    -Lots of stuff that took ages .
    -Yes i know the packs still called v1.pack, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Superghostboy View Post
    Nice Mod, but The Hedge Knight made the same mod like you! Not sure if its 1:1 like The Hedge Knight did?

Look here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=437574
    Thanks for the info. I've actually missed that one (I like to change those things myself, so I've never downloaded this mod).

But I don't think that his changes work anymore, because he modified file in variantmodels/units/atlas folder, while due to recent changes (I think they came with FotS), game uses separate textures from variantmodels/unitparts/horse/_horseparts... folder instead.

Also, here i've made comparison of textures, to show how our work differ:

He added some light grain layer to the texture (that might be invisible here due to poor quality of JPG file I've added), I've made mine from horse pictures.

Ah, I forgot to rep you

V.E.

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

This is great, the horses look awful in vanilla FOTS. Now someone just needs to remove those magically 2d ribbons that also look terrible!

I've uploaded small fix to my horse fix, changing reins a little bit. Again, changes are small, but in my opinion help to blend those models into the game world, because i've often watched battles up close, admiring those nice samurai models and then came cavalry making me feel that something is not quite right

You'll find new file, containing all the changes under the first post.

I'm the first downloader

V.E.

OLD SIG

Excellent work, sir. Thank you!
    Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm happy to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Very nice improvement,thank you!

Gaizokubanou's Avatar Biarchus
    United States, New Jersey (That's East Coast)

Super job that you've done here Bull!

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Much appreciated Nice subtle change right where it was needed.

One question; you mentioned that textures are now referenced directly from the unitparts folder. Have you done any tinkering with gloss maps from that location? I've been experimenting with boosting those to try to return some of the lost specularity in dimmer lighting since the FotS patch. I've tried blowing out the green channel for the jingasa gloss map located there without any noticeable effect. I have had success with some rigid model textures though, so I keep trying. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Much appreciated Nice subtle change right where it was needed.

One question; you mentioned that textures are now referenced directly from the unitparts folder. Have you done any tinkering with gloss maps from that location? I've been experimenting with boosting those to try to return some of the lost specularity in dimmer lighting since the FotS patch. I've tried blowing out the green channel for the jingasa gloss map located there without any noticeable effect. I have had success with some rigid model textures though, so I keep trying. Just curious.
    Yep, I've tried that with FotS units, but it doesn't affect game at all. Game engine seems to simply ignore those gloss textures now.

Very nice work!

I downloaded this mod and it really makes a difference. Thanks.

COOL! much better now! thank!

I've just seen this mod, but when I try it, it seems only half works. The ribbons/ropes are better detailed but it half disappears into the horse and the higher def texture of the horse seem to be inconsistent around the horse model. I'm not if its conflicting with something, I would upload a pix but I'll have to figure that out first...and the missus is calling me to go to bed...aaaargh 2am

The Gentle Touch Of A Woman's Hand Can Soothe The Tempest Of A Man's Heart Especially If They Cook Something Tasty
    =========================================================

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast