Thread: [BETA] Sekigahara Campaign Naval Submod

Default [BETA] Sekigahara Campaign Naval Submod

Hola my fellow Sekigahara Campaign lovers. Awhile back I was changing my vanilla shogun 2's naval files to make naval battles slightly better (in my humble opinion), and figured the Sekigahara campaign might benefit from this too. I did ask Anton and he said submods were okay to make so here it is.

May I present to you, the finest submod for the Sekigahara Campaign to date.
    Read the box for more info.

Changes

v1.00002
    -Updated for .85c
    -Trimmed the extra fat off the dbs so should be no more bows sound like gun bug

v1.00001
    -Higher Morale for all ships
    -Slightly more units for the Sengoku Bune
    -Sashimonos removed
    -Slightly lower reload rate for matchlocks
    -"Heavy ships" now carry matchlocks instead of bows (Nihon Maru, O-Ataka Bune, and Heavy Bune).

v1.0

- Matchlock sailors have higher accuracy than bow sailors, but fire slower. This makes them incredibly useful for sniping targets, but less useful when fire arrows come into play (they will need support!)
    - Melee seamen absolutely SLAUGHTER ranged marines in boarding battles
    - The Sengoku Bune has no archers. Instead they have a special tetsubo unit that is better than normal katana men, in addition to powerful katana men. it is vital to disable a sengoku bune with ranged ships before it can close in on you and destroy you in melee.
    - The various kobaya boats are manned by ashigaru with their clan mon on their armor
    - Higher grade ships (Bunes, etc.) are manned fully by samurai [Stats are the same].
    - Because the Date have better matchlock units in the campaign, their matchlock kobaya is manned by samurai gunners [Visual change only -- for now]

FOR DOWNLOAD PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENTS AT THE END OF THIS POST!

Report any and all bugs here. I did do a quick test using custom battles and a previous campaign save, and it seemed to work just fine. Keep in mind this is a beta. If this breaks anything, just delete the pack from your folder and re-load the last autosave .
    Also in case this wasn't obvious, it requires sekigahara v.85b

I recommend playing with the debug camera so you can zoom in on the action, but to each his own!
    Screenshots

My computer isn't the best so these don't do the awesomeness justice

Future Ideas (please read and comment)

-Having the ships that are manned by Samurai to have better stats than their ashigaru manned counterparts (maybe higher accuracy, or reload rate... or even melee skill?)
    -Expanding upon the Cannon Tech path for boats.
    -Perhaps making a more boarding focused tech path too .
    - I'm open to suggestions, so let em loose

And a special thanks to Anton for answering my retardo questions about PFM and modding in general. Also for you know, making the best mod so far for Shogun 2
    Last edited by Lokgar; April 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM.

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Default Re: [BETA] Sekigahara Campaign Naval Submod

Looks pretty neat. When I bother to replace my GTX560, I should send it to you so you can, most of the time, enjoy high-quality textures .

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

:p. In the summer I'm thinking of getting one of the ATI 6 series. The 7 series is coming out fully this year so I expect a price drop in the 6 series!

Looking good! We had a few ideas like this before in the dev forum but Anton was too laz was floored by the FotS patch and it never happened.

Copying my original set of suggestions. You've got quite a few covered but just putting it out there Basically I figured that everyone uses teppo instead of arrows by the time of Seki.

- Teppo kobaya (teppo units, entry level naval unit, sailors have low melee)
    - Fire rocket kobaya (fire rocket units, good at setting things on fire but lower splash damage than land battles, sailors have low melee)
    - Fire bomb kobaya (grenade units, grenades have high splash damage, sailors have low melee)
    - Medium teppo bune (teppo units, mainstream naval unit, sailors have medium melee)
    - Heavy teppo bune (teppo units, heavy naval unit, sailors have medium melee)
    - Sengoku bune (no ranged units, heavily armoured, fast moving, sailors have high melee for boarding)
    - Nihon Maru (teppo units, slow moving, sailors have high melee)

The other thing - did sailors really have sashimono? Think it'd make sense if they didn't. Your call.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Looking good! We had a few ideas like this before in the dev forum but Anton was too laz was floored by the FotS patch and it never happened.

Copying my original set of suggestions. You've got quite a few covered but just putting it out there Basically I figured that everyone uses teppo instead of arrows by the time of Seki.

- Teppo kobaya (teppo units, entry level naval unit, sailors have low melee)
    - Fire rocket kobaya (fire rocket units, good at setting things on fire but lower splash damage than land battles, sailors have low melee)
    - Fire bomb kobaya (grenade units, grenades have high splash damage, sailors have low melee)
    - Medium teppo bune (teppo units, mainstream naval unit, sailors have medium melee)
    - Heavy teppo bune (teppo units, heavy naval unit, sailors have medium melee)
    - Sengoku bune (no ranged units, heavily armoured, fast moving, sailors have high melee for boarding)
    - Nihon Maru (teppo units, slow moving, sailors have high melee)

The other thing - did sailors really have sashimono? Think it'd make sense if they didn't. Your call.
    I doubt they did, it was mostly just a visual thing for me (so during boarding I can tell who is a bowman and who is a melee fighter more easily) :p I can always remove it.

As far as more gun boats go, that'd be a good idea I think. I'll just have bow ships all have fire arrows, and expand the cannon shipline to include the new teppo boats. I'm thinking for the Nihon Maru instead of giving it high melee, I'll keep them at normal melee (because of the encourage fleet ability), but give the boat super high morale. I'm not too sure that I can give the units high armor or anything, the stats I can change for naval infantry is pitiful compared to land infantry.
    Last edited by Lokgar; April 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Actually looking back at yours and my bullets it's remarkable how similar they are - especially with the Sengoku bune.

I actually have no idea whether they had sashimono or not historically. My guess is not, but really I just think they look messy with so many guys on a boat

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Actually looking back at yours and my bullets it's remarkable how similar they are - especially with the Sengoku bune.

I actually have no idea whether they had sashimono or not historically. My guess is not, but really I just think they look messy with so many guys on a boat
    This is true. I'll more than likely end up removing them, I was just playing around to see how it looked. During boarding it can be useful so you can distinguish between the weaker missile troopers and the stronger melee troops, but over all it makes boarding quite a mess. Although I feel like boarding in general is a mess :p

Also updated the attachment with a slightly newer version

Updated the mod. I have a slight issue as the unit_stats_naval (or whatever it's called), seems to conflict with the one from Sekigahara. This results in a weird bug in which the Medium Bune has no archers, and is instead crewed by the Sengoku Bune's special crew. So, this mod may or may not fully work for you. At least the naval crews won't be conflicted with anything else :p

Think the base Seki mod has made some changes to that sheet hence that issue. There's a at the least a matchlock kobaya in Seki if I remember correctly.

Well, the Seki base mod actually uses all "new" entries for the ships, and none of the base ones. It's weird, when I took the screenshots for version 1, the game used my submod files for the ships. Once I booted up an actual campaign, same thing. However, when I stopped playing and then decided to load the campaign again, the bug attacked. This was back in .85b. Haven't had any real time to play lately though so dunno.

-EDIT- So the cannon sound bug is back and really god damn annoying. Looks like boats are using my updated stats though. The Siege Tower Bune is a bit overpowered, so my current plan is to either increase the cost of that ship or lower the accuracy of the muskets and then make a new "Sniper Tower Bune" with less men on it, but higher accuracy.

Now I just wish I could do something about the retarded boat pathing and enemy naval BAI.
    Last edited by Lokgar; April 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

So, I haven't forgotten about this... just been too busy

Looks nice. Will use this when 1.0 comes out.

how exactly does this work, i downloaded the Sekigahara mod and this and put them all in the data folder. and when i go to new campaign, theres only sekigahara. so i have no idea if this submod is working or not. id love to have a campaign that basis more on naval battle

Try loading up a custom naval battle with one of the sekigahara clans. If the boats are manned by samurai (the bunes and above), then it should be working.

That annoying cannon fire bug might be around though

I've been using this mod since I first installed Seki. It goes hand in hand with the mod I believe
    At first I thought my medium bunes were totally bugged considering they weren't firing any arrows. Then after some light research I found they were mostly for delivering boarding crews as in the mod.
    Great work and Thanks.

Oh woah, people use this? I'll incorporate it into the battle revision pack too, so I can keep working on it. It's been hard to test this out due to crazy ai / pathing issues, but I haven't really tried since CA did a lot of work on the AI.

^Sounds like a good idea. So far I've only gotten to use mid level boats but haven't noticed major issues with pathing and AI. Sometimes matchlock units perform great and other times they take forever to open up fire. Like they're waiting for some greater omen to allow them to fire. Aside from that it makes the naval battles fit in with the rest of Seki quite nicely. I hope to see it advance.

Out of curiosity was the change to the medium bune carrying only a boarding crew intentional? I only ask because it's not in the change list. If it wasn't it seems authentic

I might have messed a table up somewhere while trying to figure out the sound bug (it was new at the time). I'll have to play around a bit to see if it's a good idea. Any thoughts on that?

Well I'm no historic naval expert but I've found some good references in the book Transactions of the Asiatic Society of Japan Vol.15 around page 112 http://books.google.com/books?id=7Xc...20bune&f=false

From my reading here I believe the Seki Bune best fits the meidium bune. A boat containing 40 or more oars was most often a seki bune in the time period of Sekigahara.
    At which point the crew break down looked something like this for example: 58 Oars /113 crew=58 rowers/1 helmsman/1 Captain/53 Armed men

A ship with more than 78 oars had crews similar to this:
    80 Oars/ 159 Crew=80 rowers/1 Captain/ 2 Helmsmen/76 armed men 18 of which had fire arms.

So on a large crew such as the one above about 24% of the armed men onboard carried matchlocks. I would do something like that for the medium and heavy bunes based on this info. Melee troops of your choice (it is noted that lances, spears, and bows were the most common weapons among the rest of the armed crew on pg.114)with a fitting ratio of matchlocks.

Hope I could help
    Last edited by Gen. Sherman; October 29, 2012 at 09:02 AM.