Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asteroid mining company

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dubh the dark's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Asteroid mining company

The world's first asteroid mining company has been founded;

Planetary Resources

A group of hi-tech tycoons including Google's Larry Page and Eric Schmidt have teamed up with explorer and film-maker James Cameron in a venture to mine nearby asteroids, hoping to turn science fiction into real profits.

The megamillion dollar plan is to use commercially built robotic ships to squeeze rocket fuel and valuable minerals such as platinum and gold out of the rocks that routinely whizz by Earth, with the aim of having a space-based fuel station up and running by 2020.

The inaugural step, to be achieved in the next 18 to 24 months, would be to launch the first of a series of private telescopes that would search for rich asteroid targets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...mining-venture

Succeed or fail, I'm glad so many people are trying to make this a reality. It's an exciting venture.
    Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.
    Noam Chomsky

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Re: Asteroid mining company

. You beat me to it. I was literally reading an article about this and thought "hey, that would make a good thread", then came over here and saw this.

But I find it a fascinating prospect that a private company is actually trying to be a driving force behind advancement of technology and space exploration, and that space programs with decreasing government funding will not be a (total) hindrance to the advancement of humanity into space.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Dubh the dark's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    . You beat me to it. I was literally reading an article about this and thought "hey, that would make a good thread", then came over here and saw this.

But I find it a fascinating prospect that a private company is actually trying to be a driving force behind advancement of technology and space exploration, and that space programs with decreasing government funding will not be a (total) hindrance to the advancement of humanity into space.
    I watched the press conference they had today. They intend testing commercial devices in space for companies that can't find another way to do so. Lots of former NASA people involved too. This is a promising company and as you say drives space technology without the burden of tax-dollars and cuts. If successful they're talking profits in the trillions over the next few decades. Investors are taking notice.
    Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.
    Noam Chomsky

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post

Makes sense since there is a monetary gain here, resources. Amazing they can do it so quickly though, they dont get bogged down with legislatures and democracy.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

I want to buy shares in this company.

This is a hobby project for rich people. I think its great, and if they want to fund this kind of stuff more power to them, I wish I had so much money I could fart it away on fun stuff like this.

While the returns for asteroid mining could be, to use the obvious term, astronomical, the risk is astronomical^3. We are talking about adapting and inventing whole new technologies and then not only mining but somehow getting the minerals back to the Earth.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

In 10 years, there will be an asteroid lasso. Then...

"Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Their application process is genius.

http://www.planetaryresources.com/careers/

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneHanz View Post
    Their application process is genius.

http://www.planetaryresources.com/careers/
    Haha I love it! I want to work there now, too bad I'm not a rocket scientist

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Does anyone else find this a little ironic for Cameron to be involved with this after Avatar? I know there aren't big blue and beautiful aliens living on asteroids, but the whole idea of private companies mining resources from space...

But seriously, I say all the power to them. It's bold, potentially lucrative, and even if it fails I bet the technologies will help out humanity. I'm sure there will be legal issues with this but in my opinion if they end up being able to mine and bring the resources back, and they're the only ones with the ability, it's their right to do it.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

It's a neat idea but I think it's many decades away from profitability unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    Does anyone else find this a little ironic for Cameron to be involved with this after Avatar? I know there aren't big blue and beautiful aliens living on asteroids, but the whole idea of private companies mining resources from space...
    Not at all, it allows us to increase our total resources without screwing up our own world. Plus Cameron considers himself an explorer first and filmmaker second.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Hmmmm, Nasa even could not bring a tiny amount of meteor material back to earth with 70% successful rate. How could these guys suppose to bring tons of gold and diamond (to be profitable) back to earth?

A worthy project, but there's no way it is going to be profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    You know this may fix a issue that has been really bothering me. Since the manned space program got nuked for politics, those scientists and engineers needed to find jobs to support themselves, any jobs. If they were together working for a project like this, at least those teams could remain intact. What worries me about the nuking of the space program was not the short term, but the talent. If in a few years suddenly NASA had a budget again geared towards manned space exploration, such talent is just available in the want adds.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

eldaran's Avatar Speshul

Im personally very glad to see this, it's been pretty clear for quite some time now that the future of Human space travel and exploration, like most travel and exploration in Human history will ultimately be motivated by the prospect of financial gain.

It's a bit disappointing to see a few people being so negative about the idea - where is your ambition?! Where is that spark, that drive to achieve the improbable? Yes it going to be bloody difficult and bloody expensive, but since when has that ever stopped us ('us' as in the species, not me personally ) doing something?

Personally, I think this is only the start -there IS money to be made from space, and eventually in the not too distant future someone is going to start to make money from it, and then the floodgates will be open. It's just going to take a few people with a bit more imagination and drive than some in this thread have demonstrated! Sometimes people do things not because they are easy, and sometimes great leaps in technology require some brave people to just shut their eyes and try something. Good luck to them.
    Last edited by eldaran; April 26, 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Under the patronage of the original and the best: Wild Bill Kelso

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    If they can get there and get back it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    If they can get there and get back it will be.
    Everyone is underestimating the swag.

My shameful truth.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I know, soon they'll be building 20 kilometer barges to transport carbon products from the moons of jupiter and saturn .

This is so exciting to finally see that the private industries are doing exactly what I predicted - getting off this rock. Nasa wont do it so let the oil companies go make some money

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah, Cameron recently went to the bottom of the Challenger Deep

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

We have serious rare metal shortages, one successful operation could end that. How the hell do you bring down 100 tons of metal from outerspace though?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast