Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Rome: Total War [WIP] (Parthia, Bactria, & Epirus Complete! Plus Campaign map screens!)

debux's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Extended Rome: Total War [WIP] (Pontus & Armenia Complete!)

Hoyl cow! That looks nice... can't wait to see other parts though

Maybe you can take off a few regions where factions never expanded historically, so that fighting among nations is restricted to areas that they actually fought for. To give you an example of this, think of the left-down corner of the vanilla RTW map, the whole Gaetulian regions (like the Sahara desert). No nation of that period ever reached there, so maybe that area can be added to the "Terra Incognita", and having one extra region to use elsewhere. I don't know if has already been done with your map, or if ahowl will like it, but it's a suggestion.
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Another suggestion is to get rid of the Scotland/Ireland/Russia region, and make the region that is the Sahara and Arabia become the 'Wilderness' region so to speak. You can also merge Crete into one province. The Indian province can be taken out, as no power in this mod ever conquers it. And you can probably get rid of the pink region (talking about map_regions now) in Central Asia. All of this gains you 4 provinces to work with.

And please please please get rid of that block in Russia. At least make it have borders that aren't straight as a Scythian arrow!

I was once an Angel of Total War Heaven, but gave up my wings for a life on the sea of battle.

There has been a slight mistake: the intended Acerrae was the one near Mediolanum, not the one in Campania. I will fix this today. Caesena might be dropped today, I will let you know.
    The desert is allready "wilderness" largely.
    Russia: I won't leave any straight lines, I hate those because they look so fake.
    We work region per region, so We won't cut away any regions before the research is finished.
    Soon, you will get printscreens from Sicily, a corrected Italian view and Spain or Northern Africa.

some teasers for you guys. Spain (+ baleares) and Italy (+ sicily, sardinia and corsica) are finished. I hope you enjoy the looks of it

korsakoff's Avatar Tiro

Really nice work on the map

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Okay, some news. I probably will not be active on TWC for the next few weeks to a month. I have some family matters to attend to and I'm not sure that I will be bringing my lap top. If for some reason I do, or if TWC lets me log in from another computer I will still post updates etc. If not, I will still be working on the mod through email with Lethe1, who will be making the map. As we make progress I will request that he post some screens, just keep the thread alive and all of you interested
    If I end up having my laptop, the above words will be mute as I will continue to add units etc. We will see what the future holds, by all means if this thread does not receive an update for awhile, PLEASE do not ask if it is dead, because it is not, I'm simply taking a break due to personal matters. I will be back and like I said, some map previews should be coming within this month
    OK,but I hope you bring the lap with you,something intresting is gonna happend at the end of this week...

@Lethe - Great job!
    Is the map a edited version of the original,or is it a totaly new one?
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

debux's Avatar Senator

Good to hear Ceasena could be dropped (the area looks quite congested, and besides, it doesn't have much space, nor do I believe that it has much historical importance, or does it?). Acerrae is interesting... never have I seen it before (but it did look weird in that corner in your previous screenie), but it adds a new perspective to Cisalpine Gaul. It also looks rather congested, but I hope the AI will react positively to this change. It also calls my attention that there are no cities that directly represent the Apulian and Samnite regions (like on the north-western side of the Apennines), but I guess you have your reasons to that.

Aside of the small details that called my fussy mind's attention, it's looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Is the map a edited version of the original,or is it a totaly new one?
    From what I have understood, it's a modified version of Caligula Ceasar's map for Fortuna Orbis, but it does look considerably bigger here (besides of all the textures being so different ). I might be wrong...
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Now this will b awesome to see , great ideia to rebring rome with MTW2 system .. congrats hope to play it soon !

yea, adding epirus will be a good idea.

debux's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sextus_Ibericus View Post
    Now this will b awesome to see , great ideia to rebring rome with MTW2 system .. congrats hope to play it soon !
    What? No, sadly it's only the M2TW map textures... we're still waiting for a full, complete release of a roman era mod for M2TW (but there's PI at least, but still in beta)

Quote Originally Posted by unDa
    I don't know if Epirus will be added in, I can't recall reading that... and I believe all the faction slots have been used.

Quote Originally Posted by unDa View Post
    Like debux said, I don't think ahowl11 is going to add Epirus. This was in the first post:

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    First, why I didn't choose the following factions.
    Epirus: Yes people like Epirus but other than Ambracia what do they own? I could give Southern Italy to them but still I feel like they could be defeated easily. Plus the Greeks and Pyrrhus of Epirus can be represented by the Greek faction and Rebels in Italy.
    Plus I made quite a bit of the 2D artwork and he mentioned nothing about them to me so far.

Maybe you mean an Epirus region on the map or something?
    “Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.” -Alexandre Dumas

Epirus is quite Important as they dethroned the antigonids temporarily by capping aigai

UPDATE:

Okay, if I would have known earlier I wouldn't have been absent on here for so long, but I was able to log in today ha. However I still do not have my laptop so no serious modding on my part will be happening. However, changes have occurred with this mod and here they are!

Two new factions:

1) The Kingdom of Epirus, will be replacing the Nabataean Kingdom. I know what I said before, but in reality the Nabataeans were not really around and in regards to gameplay they would be overwhelmed by the Ptolemies or Seleucids each time. Also, Epirus is just to big of an issue to ignore in a mod starting in 280 BC!

2) The Kingdom of Bactria, will be replacing the Thracians. The balkans were way to crowded with the addition of Epirus, and historically the Thracians did not do much and were very similar to the Dacians. Also the east was too spacious and the Bactrians fit in perfectly. I do not really know how I will do this though. I'd like to use the Bactrian faction from XGM which has very similar colors to the Britons. I might make the Britons have Dacian colors and make the Dacians have Thracian colors. Or I could make it so the Bactrians keep the Thracian colors. Either way, a lot of retexturing will have to be done.

The appearance of factions:

Parthia and now Bactria were not independant in 280 BC and I would like to represent that byt having them appear in their respective dates, Parthia being 238 BC and Bactria being 250 BC. I would end up setting up alternate campaigns to play as them.

Alternate campaigns for Greeks and Gauls:

The GCS will probably be the most ahistorical feature in XRTW. For that reason I would want to make alternate campaigns for the player to control Sparta, or Syracuse, or maybe one of the leagues if possible. The Gauls as well, I would like to have the option to play as the Galatians as a horde. We will have to see how this all ends up but it's definitely worth mentioning.

Ideas from THS:
    I have done a lot of researching since I cannot actually mod, and I went through 'The Hellenic States' thread by comrade_general, and found many suggestions and ideas for XRTW:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1) There were a few references to Thorakitai using spears instead of swords. Then there was a huge discussion on the Thureophoroi and Thorakitai. Essentially 'Heavy Peltasts' in vanilla were the Thureophoroi. I won't get into details because it became very confusing. Instead I used it to help shape up the units for XRTW:

Tier 1 Range: Skirmishers (Vanilla Peltasts)
    Tier 3 Range: Peltasts (Vanilla Heavy Peltasts)

Tier 3 Barracks: Thureophoroi (THS's 'Light Thureophoroi')
    Tier 5 Barracks: Thorakitai (THS's 'Heavy Thureophoroi')
    Tier 6 Barracks: Imitation Legionaires (From Rise of Empire, Seleucids only)

I don't know if these would be accurate, but they seem accurate.

So the original Thorakitai unit from THS will be discarded. However I may need to equip the new Thorakitai with a sword instead of a spear..

Also concerning these two units, it was confirmed that Thureophoroi should be identical with Hastati, while Thorakitai be identical with Principes. (Stat wise)

2) Iberia will need a spear unit, which is not going to be hard at all, multiple mods carry spear units for Iberia, and if worst comes to worst it can be made. Also in XRTW the Iberian General will not be blue

3) Landbridges: I will probably include one between Messana and Rhegium, as well as Byzantium and Nicomedia. I wish I could have one in between Britain and Gaul but that would be ahistorical. However I get the feeling as if the Britons will have virtually no action being confined to the British Isles, which is making me consider if they should be used as a faction or not... Someone help me on this issue

4) Andalus and his un-released units in my opinion need to be released. There was discussion on Carthages unit roster and there was a preview of Carthaginian skinned mercenaries by Andalus. I am hoping a modeller and I can work together to make them and release them in his name.

5) Recruiting units at Ports, shipwrights and dockyards is an excellant idea for marine units used by Carthage and the Greek factions

6) There was mention of having a Jav Cav unit with an axe as the secondary weapon for the Illyrians, I will probably use that

7) There is an awesome bug fixer at the org that I will be using to fix all the common and annoying bugs in RTW v1.5

8) Everyone was impressed with the large rebel stacks in each city. I am definitely going to do that so the rebels are not push overs

9) One fan pointed out that the eastern factions are neglected in vanilla. This has been addressed regarding the units and it will also be addressed regarding the building tree. Roads, temples, and health buildings are substandard compared to the Greeks and Romans. They will be upgraded by using buildings from the Sassanids in BI. There will be 5 tier temples, 4 tier health, and paved roads.

10) I believe debux mentioned the possibility of the Parthians having hellenised units? I need to look into that

11) There was voice for a Caucasion swordsmen unit. That will be taken care of when I implement the AOR. I will use XGM's 'Georgian Swordsmen'

12) Macedon will get an upgrade with Hypaspists. Hoplites that can throw javelins. I will need a modeller to help me on that one. I might also include an elite slinger unit. I guess Macedon used them in response to the Roman heavy infantry

13) A quick add on about the Thorakitai. Desert fighter advantage for the Seleucids? I might consider it as an advantage when the Romans come in, but I hope it wouldn't make them too powerful.

14) There was mention of giving the Gauls a chariot unit. Is that historical? Also giving them another heavy infantry unit to help their cause against the Romans. Also a heavy spearmen unit as well

15) Giving the Germans a heavy axemen unit was also mentioned

16) I will be giving the Illyrians good ports and trade buildings to reflect their raiding ability as well as their wealth.

17) Should the Sarmatians get a spear unit? I'm thinking a simple Warband unit would suffice.

18) Iberians will get an upgrade in units with a spear unit (as mentioned above) heavy scutarii, and a heavy cavalry unit. Also a jav cav unit will be included.

19) I great suggestion was Made about MAcedon's bodyguards. They should be companion cavalry instead of Macedonian cavalry. Same will go for the other Diadochi factions. Also, apparently the general model/texture from ALX for Macedon is a better looking one than vanillas.

20) The unit size for the 'Bronze Shields' of Pontus has been changed to 240 instead of 160

21) It was proposed that the militia units for each faction be recuitable only in the Governor's House as it will reduce the spamming of weak units and give the AI access to stronger units earlier in the game. This has already been done

Also Lethe1 and I are still working on the map, he is currently experiencing some bugs. Let's hope they are not too major. Also I am currently doing research on cities east of the Caspian sea as the only resource I could find was Mundus Magnus haha

Default Re: Extended Rome: Total War [WIP] (Updated OP!)

OP should be updated to include everything that is happening as of right now. If you have any questions, comment below or PM me

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

debux's Avatar Senator

Hear, hear! Good to know you had time for this though also that you're decided to go for these changes.

Excellent mod. I will certainly be following this. Cheers!

Scarecrow's Avatar Ducenarius

Damn this looks pretty good so far. I will do a little bit more reading up on it on the morrow however I am interested and would like to give it a try. Recently just installed RTW: XGM and my greek campaign is ending in failure (too much time in M2TW: Westero's mod and S2TW: Fall of the Samurai probably).
    Legate to the Legio I Latina
    Grand Master of the Order of New Templar's

Hamilicar's Avatar Tiro

I agree it is looking good and when it is released I would like to give it a try.