Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Rome: Total War [WIP] (Parthia, Bactria, & Epirus Complete! Plus Campaign map screens!)

Default Extended Rome: Total War [WIP] (Parthia, Bactria, & Epirus Complete! Plus Campaign map screens!)

Hello all!
    I am ahowl11, and I'm presenting to you a mod that many, if not all of you will enjoy. Many of us love playing the original RTW game, but always want small modifications to it to make it better, or more historically accurate. Well, XRTW (as the mod will be known as) offers that! This mod will focus on historical accuracy and some realism as well as retaining the vanilla look and feel. For example, the units will retain the vanilla feel while still looking historically accurate, while traits, economy, battle length etc will be more realistic

New Features:
    Vanilla concept
    Makanyanes Neutralised Senate Mod
    Four New Factions: The Bosporan Kingdom, The Kingdom of Epirus, Illyrians, The Kingdom of Bactria
    Egypt overhauled into Ptolemaic Empire
    Faction Name Changes
    Historical starting positions
    Mundus Magnus 4.0 Map v1; Fortuna Orbis Map v2
    M2TW Campaign Map textures and tree models
    Ager Romanus water texture for campaign map
    New Faction symbols and banners for every faction
    New units from: XGM, XC, DTW, THS, PI, ROE, and other miscellaneous works

Faction List (new factions highlighted in green):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Roman Republic
    The Antigonid Kingdom (Macedon)
    The Seleucid Empire
    The Ptolemaic Empire
    The Kingdom of Pontus
    The Kingdom of Armenia
    Parthians
    The Republic of Carthage
    The Kingdom of Bactria
    The Bosporan Kingdom
    The Kingdom of Epirus
    Illyrians
    Dacians
    Sarmatians
    Iberians
    Gauls
    Britons
    Germans
    Numidians
    The Greek Cities
    Rebels

Map:
    Mundus Magnus 4.0 (for now)
    I have decided that the Mundus Magnus map will not do for this mod. Instead I have elected to use the map made by Caligula Caesar, the FO team and the ExRM team. It is a beautiful map with great geographical features. Also we will be adding new settlements that reflect the time period well and also brings gameplay balance. And on top of that I'm going to add M2TW textures to the campaign map to give a unique feel. Lethe1 will be doing the work with me. I have no idea how long it will take, if it can be finished by the time I complete everything for initial release then it will be in, but if it takes longer then don't expect it in the initial release.

Setting:
    280 BC - 30 BC

That is it for now. I plan on adding many more things after the features above have been completed. This thread will be updated with any new features I will add to the mod, which will be noted in a log, that way you all have an idea of where I am at in the mod. I have to update the unit rosters for each faction, test, and then I will release the beta.

Jzech's Art:
    The Faction symbols, Now Updated to current status!

Signatures for each faction completed so far

Help is always welcome!

What I need: Artwork. I am in need of a skillfull 2d artist and modeller to help me bring life to my mod. I would like to create some units in the future, as well as give some factions new faction symbols.

Links:

http://exilian.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=104.0
    This is where the idea of the mod started. It is also where developing occurs.

Credits/Thanks:

DimebagHo, RedFox, Zarax, Maraxus, Webba, comrade_general, HK_Mars, Makanyane, Ozman, ngr, Lanjane, Rarity, Conqistador, Luke Vader, Asgaroth, Skull, medievaldude, Pharoah, hameleona, Charger Flanker, Edorix, Macedon1an, Lethe1, Jzech, debux, Punic Hoplite, The Bruce, Rex Anglorvm, HeirofAlexander, Agamemnon, Imperial Redcoat, milner, The Border Reiver, Jubal_Barca, dannyxx30, bonez889. (I will list others in the process of completing this mod, everyone who has helped me will recieve a special thanks/credit!)

Log:

Created Mod folder
    Installed Mundus Magnus 4.0
    Installed Neutralised Senate mod/edited Mundus Magnus files to run smoothly with Senate mod
    Edited descr_strat to give each faction historical starting positions
    Changed Scipii culture from Roman to barbarian, Brutii from Roman to Eastern, Senate from Roman to Greek, and Egypt from Egyptian to Greek
    Gave Egypt, Scipii, Senate, Brutti new character names
    Changed names of all necessary factions to more historical names
    Ptolemaic Empire unit roster complete
    Seleucid Empire unit roster complete
    Edited descr_strat for Ptolemies, Seleucids, and Greeks
    Edited some Greek unit names: Peltasts - Skirmishers; Heavy Peltasts - Peltasts.
    Roman unit roster complete
    Carthaginian unit roster complete
    Greek unit roster complete
    Faction Symbols/banners complete for some factions
    Pontic unit roster complete
    Armenian unit roster complete
    Every faction given a new faction symbol and new banners
    Parthian unit roster complete
    Nabataean Kingdom changed to Kingdom of Epirus; Thracians changed to Kingdom of Bactria
    Edited EDB for multiple factions
    M2TW Campaign Map textures implemented
    Ager Romanus Water texture for Campaign Map implemented
    M2TW Trees for Campaign Map implemented
    Epirote unit roster complete
    Bactrian unit roster complete

Default Re: Extended Rome: Total War [WIP]

Cool mod, I will surely take a look into it, looks good

Maybe you could merge Thrace and Dacians (there was little difference between those) and add Epirus, at 280 BC it was independent kingdom and major player at both Greece and Italy.

After doing a lot of studying, you are right that Thrace and Dacia were somewhat similar, but not in entirety. Thrace, is always replaced with another faction. I want Thrace in this game, as well as Dacia.

For any other questions, here is my reasoning for factions being in or out of the game:

1. Rome
    2. Carthage
    3. Macedon
    4. Seleucids
    5. Ptolemies (formerly Egypt)
    6. Pontus
    7. Armenia
    8. Parthia
    These factions are for the most part fine. They will all be altered but as far as being a faction? They are in for sure.

Now it gets interesting:
    9. Gauls
    10. Germans
    11. Britons

Problem with these factions is that they were never unified in reality but they have to be due to hard coding. With that being said I am probably going to set it up so some settlements go to the factions with the others going to the rebels that way it can simulate the disunity in a simple fashion, and so that these three factions don't start fighting each other until later in the game.

12. Iberians (formerly Spain)
    13. Sarmatians (formerly Scythia)

These two factions are similar to the factions above but will not be AS divided. The Sarmatians will start off near the Caspian Sea as the Scythians were still around the Black Sea (cause to maybe keep Scythia as a faction). The Iberians will be centered around the Luistani tribe but will own some other settlements as well. The Celt-Iberians (another worthy cause for a faction) will probably be rebels but strong. They will provide the Iberians with some challenges.

14. Dacians
    15. Thrace

Dacians could be a bubble faction due to the fact that well, there is not much about them. However I believe that I can make them into a stronger faction and really emphasize the falx for their unique units. Plus they have an interesting starting position. For Thrace it is tough because of the Greek and Barbarian influences. I will stick with the vanilla idea of them being a Greek culture but having very unique units that blends the Greeks and Thracians together.

16. Greek Cities

Will probably be the toughest faction to give settlements to. Sparta, Athens, Rhodes, Syracuse, and maybe a few minor cities will probably make the cut. Pergamum will go to Rebels as Pergamum was a Hellenistic Kingdom. Also this faction will not be representing the Achaean or Aetolian Leagues as they are being represented by Rebels as well.

17. Numidia

The main and ultimate reason why the Numidians will be included is the fact that they can check Carthaginian power, and they can ultimately become powerful themselves. If you think about it, with an AOR system Numidia can be just as powerful as Carthage.

Now for new factions!

18. Illyrians

I think they are a must. I'm looking for them to have a strong navy and will add another barbarian faction. They will have some Greek elements as well. Playing as them will be a challenge because they have the Dacians to the north, Greeks to the south and Romans to the west. I'm hoping though that they do not get crushed when being controlled by the AI.

19. Bosporans

Almost didn't include them, but I did for a few reasons. First, I believe the North black sea area needs some more settlements and action and having them all owned by rebels would be pretty pointless. Second the Bosporans could accurately represent the Scythians once they get a hold of certain settlements. Third, the Sarmatians need competition and a reason for people to play as them or against them. The Bosporans make that possible. They will be similar to Thrace but I will make it so they are unique in their own way.

20. Nabataeans

First, why I didn't choose the following factions.
    Epirus: Yes people like Epirus but other than Ambracia what do they own? I could give Southern Italy to them but still I feel like they could be defeated easily. Plus the Greeks and Pyrrhus of Epirus can be represented by the Greek faction and Rebels in Italy.

Mauryans: Remember one of the reasons I started this mod? It was to give the Seleucids the rest of the territory they owned. If I included the Mauryans then I would have to add the Indian sub continent for the rest of their empire. Not happening. Plus they are a different culture which makes my decision easier.

Bactria: How similar would this mod be to RTR if I included them? What about XGM? Enough said, they can be easily represented by Rebels and they would be on the same level as Pergamum.

So, why Nabataeans?

First, I cannot let all of Arabia be owned by the Rebels, it would just be strange. Second, people like the idea of the Nabataeans. Third, even though they were not really a force at game start, neither were the Numidians. Fourth, they can check Ptolemaic and Seleucid power. Enough said. They will be an extremely tough faction to play as but Petra will be a great city to start with.

matmohair1's Avatar Domesticus

sounds great

Nice ! Can't wait to try out the Nabateans and Bosphorans (phalanx and horse archers.. cool ) +rep
    Macedon1an's Workshop | Germanic Unit Pack | HRTW | Macedonia Rises Again

"With the blood we shed all over the Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan “Freedom or Death!"" - From the Constitution of the Macedonian Kresna Uprising, 1878

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

? new project again I see !
    hope you can focus on this

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Glad my favorite critic could post here as well!

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

what's happened to historical total war??

Still alive, I just left it. Became something I didn't want

Citizen Content Emeritus

Ahh that's ashame, well good luck with this one

how do you get it

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Still alive, I just left it. Became something I didn't want

care to explain?

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

@destroyerofrome it's not out yet
    @Spike no, I have my reasons and I'll leave it at that

Seleucid Unit roster is finished, will post screens of a Ptolemaic/Seleucid Battle later today

debux's Avatar Senator

Pics?

Sounds good, but the irritating fans need something to look at, aside of words Can't wait to see what comes out of here.
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Citizen Content Emeritus

Seleucid Unit roster is finished, will post screens of a Ptolemaic/Seleucid Battle later today
    holy already wow you work very quickly

Battle: The Ptolemaic Empire vs. The Seleucid Empire

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast