Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to Beta T Minus 10 Days

Default Countdown to Beta T Minus 10 Days

T Minus 10

Today, I will preview some of the Lycia, Lydia, and Minoan unit cards. This will be the last small update, as the next will be bigger and better.

Default Re: Countdown to Beta T Minus 10 Days

Last edited by [HOJ]Honorius; June 18, 2006 at 08:30 PM.

I like the minoans a lot.

Even though I never thought of them as a warlike race, they look convincing... esp the unit with the dual wielding axemen look really vicious (hieroi pelekophoroi)

Also: will you be changing the faces of the generals/family members in the family tree and the unit cards?

all those goths/vandals/whatever look too BI and out of timeframe/atmosphere

Finally, a detail I noticed: the minoan pantheon seems to have been mainly female indeed, but there were also male consort deities... though secondary, they did exist.

EDIT: another question I'd been meaning to ask: I havent seen any chariot units in any preview, only infantry, even though the unit description make often mention to the existence of chariots... are chariots supposed to be a special surprise or something?

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

I'm dying of excitment. (who would 47 would die of excitment.)

Arbaces's Avatar Miles

The units, and the idea of this mod is formidable but why did you removed grass from the big ui though... Nevermind, the map looks great and I'll surely give a try to the mod if you release it this holiday.

Farewell,
    Arbaces.

the minoans are the best! W CRETE!

Thanks, some points though.

Yes we will change the cards for the officers.

Who cares if a bit of grass is missing really? lol

The cavalry renders and chariot renders take longer to do and they simply aren't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang
    Thanks, some points though.

Yes we will change the cards for the officers.

Who cares if a bit of grass is missing really? lol

The cavalry renders and chariot renders take longer to do and they simply aren't done yet.
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure the chariot units will be as cool as the infantry units we've seen so far

Also: returning to the issue of "barutai" and "epibolai" that are used to describe certain units, I'd say that "barutai" should be "bareis", but if the idea is to describe a heavily armed unit, I'd rather suggest the use of "panoploi" (translates to something like full-armored), e.g. panoploi doryforoi. As for the "epibolai", I'm not sure how the word "levy" would translate into ancient greek, but you may use the word "efedroi" (used in modern greek)...

[disclaimer: my knowledge of ancient greek is rusty at best, my knowledge of mycenean greek is simply non-existent ]

Zenith seems very good at ancient greek, but he did the names quite a while ago and there were a few small mistakes, still i think most are ok.

ive been reading up alot about the minoans, and im surprised you have no female units for them? alot of evidence supports a good integration of females into the warrior class, so much so that its thought that the use of the word amazon was created by the myceaneans as a derogatory term to describe the minoans and their large numbers of female warriors, many following their god of war armed with two handed double headed axes. either way its great to see the minoans in this, hopefully we can get some good fights between minoans and myceneans.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang
    Zenith seems very good at ancient greek, but he did the names quite a while ago and there were a few small mistakes, still i think most are ok.
    true... most are ok, but some things have not changed during the passage from ancient to modern greek, such as the "myrmidonoi" I saw in the "T minus 9" preview... it should be "myrmidones" (singular myrmidwn - w is omega - plural myrmidones)

But I'm nitpicking here and I'll prolly fix any such details myself once we get the mod in our grubby little hands

actually, our historian, zenith, who also writes the unit descriptions, studies ancient greek history at university, and has a good grasp of the ancient Greek language, so you'll have to talk to him about that issue...

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadow89
    actually, our historian, zenith, who also writes the unit descriptions, studies ancient greek history at university, and has a good grasp of the ancient Greek language, so you'll have to talk to him about that issue...
    No big deal... as I said, I'm just nitpicking
    and if you can make anything of my comments, all the better...

of course, nitpicking turns a good mod into a great one

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Yes, thanks for the nitpicking. I actually already spotted these mistakes myself (it's surprising what lack of sleep and a hectic schedule can do to your accuracy!), and I'm sure that they'll all be changed for the release. As for 'panoploi', we're actually going with 'enoplioi'. Funny, I could have sworn that the lexicon had said that 'Myrmidons' were 'Myrmidonoi', but I checked it again and you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea
    Yes, thanks for the nitpicking. I actually already spotted these mistakes myself (it's surprising what lack of sleep and a hectic schedule can do to your accuracy!), and I'm sure that they'll all be changed for the release. As for 'panoploi', we're actually going with 'enoplioi'. Funny, I could have sworn that the lexicon had said that 'Myrmidons' were 'Myrmidonoi', but I checked it again and you're right.
    I'm glad you find my nitpicking useful

If you'd bear with me for one last nitpicking "enoploi" (better without the extra 'i' of "enoplioi")=in arms (in modern greek one understands just "armed" or "weapon-wielding"), "panoploi"=fully armed/armored - so e.g. doryforoi enoploi=armed spearmen (armed w/ the spear that is), doryforoi panoploi=fully armored spearmen... your choice

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Arbaces
    The units, and the idea of this mod is formidable but why did you removed grass from the big ui though... Nevermind, the map looks great and I'll surely give a try to the mod if you release it this holiday.

Farewell,
    Arbaces.
    The grass in the info pics have been redone many times and when you see the cavalry and chariot units, they will all seem to be consistant.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

No, that was a typo in my post. Cut me some slack!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast