Thread: Spec Ops: The Line

Default Spec Ops: The Line

After playing the demo I felt like talking about it a bit, I did a little research and saw all the other spec ops games are really old and most got really bad reviews, Makes me wonder why they revived a franchised that no one even heard of? Any way the game itself, It felt sort of like Mass Effect 3 game play wise "it even had a team of 3 guys alla ME rather then the standard 4 man team like most special ops shooters". The shooting it self felt very standard cover based shooter with nothing special to it, It had some commands you can issue your guys but for the most part they kill guys on there own and do it pretty ok. They seem to be invincible too, one nice touch I like was taking a guy down doesn't always kill them leaving them moaning and groaning on the ground. You can either excite him or leave him dieing on the floor, it adds a sense of realism I haven't seen in anything els other then Shogun 2 "not even Arma has such details". This game isn't realistic at all tho, it does the standard regen health that almost all shooters have been doing since Halo. As for graphics the game looks allot better then I expected you can even see details like the sweat on your four head and the environment is very distinct. This game is obviously focusing on the story which is all but to rare in this day an age, The story looks very interesting and I will enjoy figuring out what happen and why everyone is trying to kill each other. What did yall think of the demo?
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Spec Ops: The Line

I've yet to try the demo (Though I probably will soon) but it's got some insane marketing for a series I've never heard of before. I've seen loads of ads for it on TV, all with the same quote "It made my brain explode" or something to that effect.

Terrible title, but it seems so ridiculous I can't help myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

Was this the game where sand forms an important gameplay mechanic?

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
    Was this the game where sand forms an important gameplay mechanic?
    Yeah
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

I've tried the Xbox demo last month, the graphics were awful even for a console games it looked like it was released 5 years ago and it earned the medal "King of Aliasing". The setting sounds interesting but hidding poor graphics behind a sea of sunlight is a know tactic. I can already see reviewers paid with bribes saying : "Outstanding lightning effects !".

I tried the demo on PC yesterday, it's a bit better but ant-aliasing is not even in the graphic options...damn console ports !

The game itself felt ultra linear, you'll find more liberty in the corridor of your house, and heavily scripted. The enemy IA is very accurate so you better get good cover fast. The AI of your allies is dumb like a rock and will go straight for a suicide charge if you don't kill everyone around before. So you waste your time healing them under heavy fire.

Future overrated game spotted.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

In terms of no AA being available for the demo a lot of demos released prior to the launch of the game don't have all of the graphics options available.

But all in all it kinda just looks silly.
    I can't get over the title though it's just... Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

I thought the graphics were pretty decent. Nothing spectaculair but still solid. The Lighting IS very good, but there is also good draw distance and the textures are OK.

The shooting mechanics feel great, enemies really get hit by your bullets and react to it. I think i'm gonna pick this up. The setting is very interesting, I think that's the major special feature of this game.

When the very first trailer came out ~3 years ago with its creepy music my curiosity was really piqued. All the latest media of it make it look kind of bland and uninteresting, though.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Domesticus

Just bought this game on the steam holiday sale a few days ago and finished it just now. Took me about little over 11 hours.

I would definitely recommend this game, not for the game play (which is rather bland), but for the story and narrative. The game definitely takes the player places where few main stream games ever go, it explores a lot of dark themes, and the love the idea of choices that are hidden through the narrative. There were quiet a few moments that made me a little uncomfortable, and i am surprised 2K even allowed the developer to go that far, but i am glad they did. So yeah, definitely a must try for folks looking for a good story and narrative, and i think its currently on steam for 10 bucks.

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

I've heard that the story is one of the best in a long while and that it is dark, twisted and disturbing.
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Anyone who has read Heart of Darkness or seen Apocalypse Now will nod appreciatingly while reading the plot premises of the game. I haven't bought it myself, but I recommend anyone that talks about cool kill animations, injury realism and other assorted things to play this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Libertus

Loved the plot that goes way beyond what's usual in military first/third person shooter, Apocalypse Now obviously inspired the developpers and it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderswift View Post
    In terms of no AA being available for the demo a lot of demos released prior to the launch of the game don't have all of the graphics options available.

But all in all it kinda just looks silly.
    I can't get over the title though it's just... Bad.
    I have the game, there's no AA option for PC.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by Kavryelh View Post
    Loved the plot that goes way beyond what's usual in military first/third person shooter, Apocalypse Now obviously inspired the developpers and it's a good thing.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In a certain way it is a comment on modern shooters and especially FPS' that feature single-player campaigns with dubious moral considerations (rewards and achievements for killing lots of enemies, "cool" takedowns etc. - interestingly all things the game aludes to and exposes for what they are). Most people don't care about it while playing I suppose*, and in a sense games might be good in the way that they simplify the world for us when reality is sometimes too complex or too dark to fully enjoy, but I think that for the maturation of the medium and especially its younger players this kind of intriguing plot is just what's needed.

*For the record and since I dislike moral crusading, no, I don't react often either. However there are some very cringey moments in modern games that really ignore virtually every notion that there is actually a human being behind that other gun.

Also, I love the way they named the "antagonist" Conrad.
    Last edited by Aanker; December 28, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

God awful game with a ridicules story line.The worst game i played this year.

That some people were so impressed with this game's storyline just shows how shallow and braindead games are these days. Spec Ops had a decent story with a decent twist compared to other games of today, which have incredibly retarded and/or bland storylines. Otherwise it wasn't even mediocre - it was stupid. I did enjoy it somewhat, but to call its plot good would be an overstatement.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Just finished this game after buying on GMG yesterday. Buy it, Play it, Experience it.

Gentlemen,

Let me Welcome you to Dubai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash