Thread: FOTS - AI army composition is poor

Default FOTS - AI army composition is poor

I find the AI fields weak armies most of the time (H/H)

I've played three Satsuma campaigns and I see very few if any elite armies fielded by the AI - most of the time the AI packs their armies with levy soldiers and sword/spear infantry. Where are all the elite forces?

What are other people experiencing in their campaigns?

Default Re: FOTS - AI army composition is poor

The AI fielded quite a number of red bear infantry in my Nagaoka campaign with the occasional armstrong or parott guns. Red bears are not elite, but definitely superior to line infantry. If I remember, they also do have the occasional imperial or shogunate guard. I think the problem is the AI tends to recruit units according to what it can afford immediately, instead of saving up for elite units. Maybe that's why it gets insane money bonuses on harder difficulties to allow it to recruit better quality units to match its silly recruiting behavior.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy44 View Post

I've played three Satsuma campaigns and I see very few if any elite armies fielded by the AI - most of the time the AI packs their armies with levy soldiers and sword/spear infantry. Where are all the elite forces?

If you want AI recruiting balanced units even strong one. I recommend use Radious mod for that. My campaign with radious mod enemy AI have balanced units. Not weak units.

Hm, I did come across an AI army earlier consisting of 8 Shogunate Infantry, backed up by a pair of parrot guns, the rest of the army was levy infantry though.

I find that the ai tends to make a few good stacks ie high tree inf. *I call these super stacks and is usually the stack they use throughout the whole game. *Once you go to war with them you meet these stacks destroy them mostly, *and then they just throw build cheap armies to quickly get a force up to take you on again.

That is why most people that played for long time try to kill the super stacks first. *After that the ai is doomed*

The AI will recruit what it can based on the buildings it has availalbe. Often smaller clans will struggle as they may have only one (or sometimes none) recruitment buildings. Once a clan grows larger and takes in more provinces it will sort itself out.

Playing with the green dudes of the shogunate forces, I get a lot of stacks of katana/yari kachi spam, with improved armor and experienced and a couple of leavy infantry. I´m very often engaging into melee, wich to me , is very difficult to expel.

The ai just makes the units avaliable. It doesn't care what the units do, just that they are making an army big enough to defend itself.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

The AI makes up for unit selection by having 5 times the number of stacks you do.

I noticed that Imperial AI tends to use ONLY modern units, whereas Shogunate AI throws mostly 80% traditional and 20% modern (and only 5% of the modern core are elite)

Yeah, as mentioned, I've always seen the AI feild very balanced and powerful armies, but usually 1 or 2 of them. Fighting these makes for amazing battles, but after that it's just levy after levy lol

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Noif♔ View Post
    If you want AI recruiting balanced units even strong one. I recommend use Radious mod for that. My campaign with radious mod enemy AI have balanced units. Not weak units.
    Really now? Because Radious removed the unit limit all the enemy have been fielding in mine are Kisho Ninja, levies, Katana Kachi and Yari Ki. I rarely saw an army composed of anything else. I felt the vanilla AI fielded better armies. I've had to add a unit limit myself.
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy44 View Post

HEY! DON'T HATE ON THE TWO FULL STACKS OF LEVY INFANTRY. IT'S A SOUND STRATEGY.

*Sound that is, for making me feel like Tom Cruise when they attack my capital stocked with 7 units of vet Katana Kachi.

I agree with OP. But the one thing that AI has been building always in my campaigns is bamboo cannons and parrott guns which give me a bit of problem only during battles.

But yeah, they never use those elite infantries such as the imperial/shogunate infantry or guard infantry or even carbine cavalries. I wonder if there can be a workout on this instead of just using mods.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I've never seen the AI use foreign troops.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    I've never seen the AI use foreign troops.
    I have, It was 1874, and I saw that oka had American marines when they invaded musashi. However they were crushed easily. The ai impressed me a little there so their deaths were not in vain.

I've seen them use foreign troops and doomstacks.

Personally I also tend to field a load of cheap infantry to shore up my army,sometimes their only purpose is to keep the enemy busy while I deploy massive firepower on the area.

After replaying a few times on Legendary and Very Hard, I realized that the AI usually tend to have only the higher end infantry such as Shogunate/Imperial infantry at about 1869-1870. Then towards the end of game at 1874, they have the Elites up. Before that, they always love to doomstack always with the cheap infantries.

I wonder if its just me or are you all experiencing the same thing?