Thread: Im new to the Total War series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Im new to the Total War series

Hello everyone as you can see im a new member i came here because i dont not own any of the series (yet) and would like your thoughts on which one to start, i am leaning towards Shogun 2 as ive watched 20-30 worth (and it looks a hoot) how sad am i

Here are my questions

1) Will it work on my laptop (Satellite C660-1UP) ive been to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx it says they will but just over the min req, so does anyone play TW on their laptop?

2) Ive heard Steam is needed to play Shogun 2, Why? (simple answer please) also why is Shogun 2 £29.99 on steam and at gamestation its £4.99? i could buy TW:S2 and TW:FOTS Ltd Ed for £20 so WTF

3) Are the mods easy to instill, i would like to get the game and put mods on straight away

Default Re: Im new to the Total War series

Welcome to the forums!

1) I recommend getting a computer that can achieve the recommended requirements. I played ETW on a laptop (that was smack bang between mid and recommended specs) before I got a desktop PC. I found gaming on the laptop very frustrating as it had long load times, and I couldn't take advantage of the graphics and/or unit sizes. If you can put up with that, then it's still worth it.

2) Shogun 2 is activated via steam. It's compulsory. It enables the game to be updated easily, helps with multiplayer (which is increasingly becoming a part of Total War), enhances social aspects etc. Steam prices are often high, it's to lure impatient people with good internet who can easily be tempted to pay a premium for convenience. Steam does do some awesomely good-value sales, though.

3) Most mods are easy, yes. Some of the larger and better supported ones even have applications to install it all for you.
    Last edited by flonky; April 23, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

Oops sorry i put in wrong section but as it had some questions i put it in questions, again sorry

i wont mind load times etc
    thanks for the info ill wait till maybe tomorrow to see how many more will reply to see if i get it or not

I wouldn't recommand on that laptop, you will get low frame rate in battles I think.

Steam is helpfull because it keeps your game up to date with patches, and it has a lot of functionalities. You can buy retail one and enter the code though, so you can get the cheapest.

Most mods are pretty easy to use, some are a bit tricky or may have some problems with, but generally very doable. I would recommand to play original as your first time though.

Quote Originally Posted by gameroach81 View Post
    Hello everyone as you can see im a new member i came here because i dont not own any of the series (yet) and would like your thoughts on which one to start, i am leaning towards Shogun 2 as ive watched 20-30 worth (and it looks a hoot) how sad am i

Here are my questions

1) Will it work on my laptop (Satellite C660-1UP) ive been to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx it says they will but just over the min req, so does anyone play TW on their laptop?

2) Ive heard Steam is needed to play Shogun 2, Why? (simple answer please) also why is Shogun 2 £29.99 on steam and at gamestation its £4.99? i could buy TW:S2 and TW:FOTS Ltd Ed for £20 so WTF

3) Are the mods easy to instill, i would like to get the game and put mods on straight away

1. I used to play Rome and Medieval II on my laptop before it died. Anything passed that, however, ran terribly/not at all. Before shelling out any money, I'd download the demo, and see how that runs.

2. Steam serves as a sort of copy protection these days. It doesn't matter where you buy them, either, you're still required to register them through Steam (at least, as far as I know; I could be wrong).

3. Mods vary in installation hastle, but none of them are particularly hard. DarthMod is certainly trivial, as its launcher is contained in a single installer. The Radious mods, however, require a bit more work.
    Last edited by Colonel Dax; April 23, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Being an idiot the first 3 times

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

The questions are pretty much answered already, but I'd rather get or at least try the demo's of Medieval 2 or Rome before getting the newer games
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

With your rig I would suggest getting Rome or Medieval 2. You wont enjoy much playing Shogun 2 unless you get a better rig.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Cant afford a better rig hence the laptop lol

Ive signed up on steam now and DL Shogun 2 demo it said 6 hours to download but im at 10% already ill have to look up on those other TW games as i have not seen anything on them

Shogun 2 demo worked fine but there was some frame break/flickering and the bottom of the laptop got VERY hot so ill wont be getting the full game (my last laptop melted)

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

In that situation I'd get Rome or Medieval 2 as I already said. They are also much better than S2 IMO

did your laptop get really hot while playing Medieval 2? i just dont want mine to melt again lol

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I don't have a laptop, but my old desk computer couldn't run it