Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Units during the Boshin war

Default Units during the Boshin war

I'm developing a unit pack for Fall of the Samurai and I plan to have 5 units for all 10 factions with 10 modern/10 traditional units globally. A problem that I've encountered is I can't seem to find any units for the time period (my googlefu is a shamfur display), and I'm hoping that some you could help me (you'll get a spot on my credits list if that helps). Also if the number of units that we find is insufficient I'll (if I can) have this thread moved to mods and I'll let people brainstorm from there.

Thanks in advance!

4/22/12: Satsuma is done

The_Nord's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Units during the Boshin war

Unless you haven't thought of it already, Shinsengumi with spears and Imperial Guard Cavalry with lances, like the lances the shogunate guard cavalry has, I looked up some info on the Imperial Guard and it said that all contemporary illustrations of them show them equipped with lances. Then you could also do Naginata Kachi for example. I also found a mention of a unit called Battoutai (I think thats how it's spelled), which was an elite imperial regiment of swordsmen wearing modern uniforms. You could also add infantry Denshutai, the shogunate guard cavalry is modeled after the cavalry Denshutai, the infantry looks the same but were armed with rifles.

Edit: Radious unit pack 3 apperently already has the Battoutai and the infantry Denshutai.
    Last edited by The_Nord; April 24, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Ritta Nakanishi authors and illustrates really great Japanese military books that are like the Osprey of Japan. I'll post some images later, I have his book on Japanese military uniforms of 1841-1929.

Some ideas off the top of my head
    Imperial forces Battou-tai
    Satsuma Suprise Attack Group
    Hussar lancer, iconic of the troops of the Yeso Republic and earlier shogunate.
    There's also some Japanese Marine units.

A relatively well known unit that for some reason wasn't included in the game:

Gakuheitai (Shogunate), a unit with supposedly English-style training using Snider-Enfield guns and red-and-black uniforms.
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/jyuntaro/gaku...n/P1010163.jpg

...or perhaps it'll be Sendai's unique unit when they eventually release the DLC for them seeing how the unit originated in Sendai but continued fighting on even after Sendai surrendered.
    Last edited by Cruzz; April 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM.

It makes me wonder why CA chose to include so few of the historical units in FOTS, unless... Well you know, DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Nord View Post
    Unless you haven't thought of it already, Shinsengumi with spears and Imperial Guard Cavalry with lances, like the lances the shogunate guard cavalry has, I looked up some info on the Imperial Guard and it said that all contemporary illustrations of them show them equipped with lances. Then you could also do Naginata Kachi for example. I also found a mention of a unit called Battoutai (I think thats how it's spelled), which was an elite imperial regiment of swordsmen wearing modern uniforms. You could also add infantry Denshutai, the shogunate guard cavalry is modeled after the cavalry Denshutai, the infantry looks the same but were armed with rifles.

Edit: Radious unit pack 3 apperently already has the Battoutai and the infantry Denshutai.
    I'm going to change these units along with some other minor stats (ex. Kehitai being degraded to 2nd tier infantry with slightly lowered stats and can be built with a Military Academy) and add Battoutai for Choshu and Denshutai for Jonzi or Sendai. Also is there any reliable info on Sendai or Tsu during the Boshin war? Read some wear that Sendai participated in the Battle of Aziu and Tsu turned of the Shogunate during Tobi-Fushimi

Also, Choshu is almost done as of 4/28.

Thank you everyone for your input and information!

Check this out, I haven't scanned anything yet, but if you think this will be useful, I'll upload them.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...8#post10893848
    post 35

Quote Originally Posted by rekishiotaku View Post
    Check this out, I haven't scanned anything yet, but if you think this will be useful, I'll upload them.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...8#post10893848
    post 35
    This is a gold mine, Thank you soooo much!

The title of the book is 日本の軍装 -幕末から日露戦争- Japanese Military Uniforms 1841~1929 From the fall of the Shogunate to the Russo-Japanese War, by Ritta Nakanishi, the publisher is 日本本会画 Nippon Hon Kaiga. Not too many places outside of Japan sell his books. But they are really great, a lot of pictures, and each book is written in English and Japanese. I've seen some of his books on ebay go for about 100 dollars. But they are about 3,300 yen in Japan (under 40 dollars). I think you are better off going to Rakuten, its an online Japanese shopping site, they have an English site and some of the stores ship overseas. Also try amazon.co.jp

I can scan some photos if you want tho.

The title of the book is 日本の軍装 -幕末から日露戦争- Japanese Military Uniforms 1841~1929 From the fall of the Shogunate to the Russo-Japanese War, by Ritta Nakanishi, the publisher is 日本本会画 Nippon Hon Kaiga. Not too many places outside of Japan sell his books. But they are really great, a lot of pictures, and each book is written in English and Japanese. I've seen some of his books on ebay go for about 100 dollars. But they are about 3,300 yen in Japan (under 40 dollars). I think you are better off going to Rakuten, its an online Japanese shopping site, they have an English site and some of the stores ship overseas. Also try amazon.co.jp

I can scan some photos if you want tho.
    I'll definitely look into this and if I find anything I'll consider getting it. In the meanwhile are there any pictures about the traditionalist/makeshift uniforms that the northern clans used? It would help a lot (next clans are Aziu and Sendai) and thanks for all the info that you have provided so far, because I was honestly getting worried that I would run out of units to make.

Well theres not much I could find, because its clear the makers of FOS used the book, so a lot of the stuff in here is already made.
    Marines

Kyushu troops

Shogunate

Ogaki and Aizu

Well theres not much I could find, because its clear the makers of FOS used the book, so a lot of the stuff in here is already made.
    Marines

Kyushu troops

Shogunate

Ogaki and Aizu

Well, most of the uniforms here are used in some way, but not completely. For example on the last page some of the parts of uniforms are used to create the Aziu units, but are combined with parts of the Levy uniforms to make a makeshift looking unit (Dragon force, Tortoise force, and etc). The way the uniforms system works is like a Lego man, mix and match so I can use these some of these pictures to aid me in that respect. In-fact now I will be creating a based on the picture of the soldier wearing the Dragon force hat for the Tsu, Tosa, or Sendai as their faction specific line infantry (already ran out of historical units awhile ago).

Thanks for the scans so far and btw, you have probably been the biggest help on this thread so far. Are there any pages from the Satsuma Rebellion period, and can scan them for me, (would help with the Elite Imperial units that I'm working on).

Thanks so much, Laser

Those pages were the ones with uniforms not really seen in the game, the other pages you can totally tell they used, they copied every detail, very well I might add.
    Not much anything in here from the Satsuma rebellion.
    I think you should use the "Shogun Guard Cavalry" and give him a gun, that hussar uniform was used by most of the Western style cavalry of Yezo Republic. Not sure who you can give it to.

You can also add in units from S2 vanilla for the pre-modern units, give Choshu mori's unit, Satsuma Shimzau's.
    Its looking pretty hard to give so many clans so many unique units, because in reality there wasn't that much diversity amongst the various armies in Japan.

Some other ideas are adding more foreign troops, Russian cossacks, ex-Confederate mercenaries, Dutch mercenaries, I forget what clan is on the island in the South, but you could give them Ryukyu axillary (which is not completely historic, but within the realm of possible), it should also go to Shimazu, but you said you have enough units for them right? Although the Surpise Attack Force Raigeki-tai is another idea for them, it would be units with a mix of Western uniforms, Japanese uniforms and Western dress clothing.

Those pages were the ones with uniforms not really seen in the game, the other pages you can totally tell they used, they copied every detail, very well I might add.
    Not much anything in here from the Satsuma rebellion.
    I think you should use the "Shogun Guard Cavalry" and give him a gun, that hussar uniform was used by most of the Western style cavalry of Yezo Republic. Not sure who you can give it to.

You can also add in units from S2 vanilla for the pre-modern units, give Choshu mori's unit, Satsuma Shimzau's.
    Its looking pretty hard to give so many clans so many unique units, because in reality there wasn't that much diversity amongst the various armies in Japan.

Some other ideas are adding more foreign troops, Russian cossacks, ex-Confederate mercenaries, Dutch mercenaries, I forget what clan is on the island in the South, but you could give them Ryukyu axillary (which is not completely historic, but within the realm of possible), it should also go to Shimazu, but you said you have enough units for them right? Although the Surpise Attack Force Raigeki-tai is another idea for them, it would be units with a mix of Western uniforms, Japanese uniforms and Western dress clothing.
    I'm going to restructure the mod since its too big right now .

EX: Satsuma:
    Elite Infantry: Imperial Marines (Imperial allegiance)
    Line Infantry: Satsuma Marines
    Cavalry: Kasokuki Cavalry
    Artillery: Marine Artillery
    Light Infantry: Raiders (will likely move to Tsu and replace with Surprise Attack Force Raigeki-tai)
    Traditional: Levy Teppomen (not finished)
    Regulars: Satsuma Regulars

This is Satsuma and I've completed all units above except for Levy Teppomen and Satsuma Regulars.

On top of these units all factions will receive a specialized version of Regulars (better than line, worse than 2nd tier) and 2 modern units. They will also receive 1 specialized unit from the Shogun 2 campaign and 2 more traditional.

I've already created a unit of the sorts called Denshutai (French trained troops) and are the elite infantry for Jonzi. The Yezo page from your book will most likely go to Tsu or Sendai since those are the only factions where I have no clue what to make. Choshu will get Mori Naginata Warrior Monks (the Mori were sorta big on the religious stuff in the 1500's), Tosa will get Chosokabe Bow Levy (125 range 200-300 men), Satsuma will get Shimzau Levy Teppomen (200-300 men possibly), Aziu will get Date Armored Samurai and I'll think of more tomorrow.

Oh no, now this mod is going fantasy too No one wants to make a historically accurate unit mod for FOTS it seems. I will still follow this with interest though.

What are the Kasokuki Cavalry by the way? Armament? Uniform?
    Last edited by The_Nord; April 30, 2012 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Nord View Post
    Oh no, now this mod is going fantasy too No one wants to make a historically accurate unit mod for FOTS it seems. I will still follow this with interest though.

What are the Kasokuki Cavalry by the way? Armament? Uniform?
    The problem is that there is not enough units to make a completely historical unit pack that has a substantial number of units. I probably will make a version where I take all the historical units and make them into one mod (I'm sure quite a few people would like that) but it won't be very large (10-15 units?).

Kasokuki Cav is a made up unit that I created when I couldn't find any cavalry for Satsuma.

Screenshot:
    Attachment 219299
    Last edited by lasersquirrel; April 30, 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lasersquirrel View Post
    The problem is that there is not enough units to make a completely historical unit pack that has a substantial number of units. I probably will make a version where I take all the historical units and make them into one mod (I'm sure quite a few people would like that) but it won't be very large (10-15 units?).

Kasokuki Cav is a made up unit that I created when I couldn't find any cavalry for Satsuma.

Screenshot:
    Attachment 219299
    Well that sounds excellent, thank you. The Kasokuki looks splendid too!

Are you still working on your mod lasersquirrel?

A problem that I've encountered is I can't seem to find any units for the time period
    i could hardly find anything aswell, most of weren`t pics, but information about warfare tactics and famous people. and i searched the internet for 3 hours to get this, in most cases rather speculative information together. here it is, and i hope it helps you.

foreign units

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Dutch:

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan%E...ands_relations

When formal trade relations were established in 1609, by requests from Englishman William Adams The Dutch were granted extensive trading rights and set up a Dutch East India Company trading outpost at Hirado. When the Shimabara uprising of 1637 happened, in which Christian Japanese started a rebellion against the Tokugawa shogunate, it was crushed with the help of the Dutch. As a result all Christian nations who gave aid to the rebels were expelled leaving the Dutch the only commercial partner from the West.[2] Among the expelled nations was Portugal who had a trading post in Nagasaki harbor on an artificial island called Dejima. In a move of the shogunate to take the Dutch trade away from the Hirado clan the entire Dutch trading post was moved to Dejima.

since the province of nagasaki belongs to the saga clan, and the dutch have had their trading post for more than 200 years in that harbor, i dont think it would be that far fetched to give the saga clan a specific "Royal Netherlands Marnie Corps" unit, without a specific trade port. or since releations between the dutch and british have been great since their cooparation in the war of spanish sucsession especialy during the battle of gibralta 1704. saga could recieve this unit specificly after building a british trade port

a description i found:
    [FONT='Times New Roman', Times, serif]Unknown to many, the Royal Netherlands Marine Corps or more affectionately referred to as the Dutch Marine Corps, is one of the oldest military formations in the world. They were established on 10 December 1665 and were almost immediately thrust into the Anglo-Dutch War of 1665-67. Although they fought many bitter battles then, they earned the respect of their then foe, the British. As history would have it, Royal Marines from both the Dutch and British sides joined forces in 1704 in the Battle of Gibraltar. It was here that a long-standing relationship and close co-operation between the two former foes was established. The Korps continue to enjoy close ties and train regularly with the British Royal Marines, thus maintaining an almost similar doctrine of operation to their British cousins. [/FONT]

source:

another little descripten with a few details:
    During the War of the Spanish Succession, when the two countries were allies, it was a combined force of British and Dutch Marines, under Prince George of Hesse-Darmstadt, which captured Gibraltar in 1704.
    Since then the Royal Netherlands Corps has always been part of the Dutch Navy, operating anywhere in the world. Their Latin motto consequently is ‘Qua Patet Orbis’, ‘As wide as the world extends’.
    The Royal Netherlands Marine Corps consists of approximately 2,800 marines.

source:

Pictures of dutch marines:

early, 1815-1870 (i dont think it is possible to make this one):

late, 1870 - 1910 (from the Aceh war)(this one seems to be possible):

Source:

the dutch military missions in japan where mainly about giving them naval training.
    source:

German:

After the government of Meiji period Japan decided to model the Imperial Japanese Army after the Prussian army, following the German victory over the French in the Franco-Prussian War, Meckel (with the rank of major at the time) was invited to Japan as a professor at the Army Staff College and as an advisor to the Imperial Japanese Army General Staff. In response to a Japanese request, Prussian Chief of Staff Helmuth von Moltke selected Meckel.[2] He worked closely with future Prime Ministers General Katsura Tarō and General Yamagata Aritomo, and with army strategist General Kawakami Soroku. Meckel made numerous recommendations which were implemented, including reorganization of the command structure of the army into divisions and regiments, thus increasing mobility, strengthening the army logistics and transportation structure, with the major army bases connected by railways, establishing artillery and engineering regiments as independent commands, and revising the universal conscription system to abolish virtually all exceptions. A bust of Meckel was sited in front of the Japanese Army Staff College from 1909 through 1945.[3]
    Although his period in Japan (1885–1888) was relatively short, Meckel had a tremendous impact on the development of the Japanese military. He is credited with having introduced Clausewitz's military theories[4] and the Prussian concept of war games (Kriegspiel) in a process of refining tactics.[5] By training some sixty of the highest-ranking Japanese officers of the time in tactics, strategy and organization, he was able to replace the previous influences of the French advisors with his own philosophies. Meckel especially reinforced Hermann Roesler's ideal of subservience to the Emperor by teaching his pupils that Prussian military success was a consequence of the officer class's unswerving loyalty to their sovereign Emperor, as expressly codified in Articles XI-XIII of the Meiji Constitution.[6]
    Meckel's reforms are credited with Japan's overwhelming victory over China in the First Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895.[7]
    However, Meckel's tactical over-reliance on the use of infantry in offensive campaigns was later considered to have contributed to the large number of Japanese casualties in the subsequent Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905.

Adding a "german strategist" or "german major" unit wich increases is not meant to be fighting, but wich increases the moral of units nearby (just like i saw in a other mod (i think it was radious units mod)).
    would be very far fetched during the boshin war, because of the historical time diference (the military mission to japan started in 1885), but great. of course this would only be available for a certain imperial fraction, without a specific trade post.

a picture of Lackob Meckel. (these victorian units and their awsome sideburns are a heaven for people with a sideburnfetish)

a picture of high ranking german military officials (to give you an idea of the color of the uniform):

Italian:

there was an italian military mission to japan from 1884 to 1888. (so it would be as far fetched as a german unit). but i cant find any information on what the italians did there. when looking for german info i was looking for somethin specific, and found the restructuring of the japanese army inspired by german military standerds wich gave me the idea to that specific unit proposal. when searching for something dutch i found the information about naval training, wich (since ships cant be made) gave me the idea for marines. but i cant find anything on what the italians did, exept for that whet ever thy did, they did it between 1884 and 1888 at the "Osaka foundry".
    and i`m not going to make something up.

Imperial:

Choshu:
    Kiheitai:
    The Irregular Militia (Kiheitai) (奇兵隊 Kiheitai?) was a volunteer militia raised by Chōshū domain during the Bakumatsu period of Japan.
    Founded in 1863 by Takasugi Shinsaku, the Kiheitai militia consisted of 300-400 men, who came from all social classes, including farmers, merchants, samurai and others. Most were from Chōshū, but a few volunteers were from other domains. The Kiheitai was known for its discipline, and use of western-style weapons and military techniques. It was partly funded by the Chōshū domain, but gained the rest of its financial support through donations by wealthy merchants and farmers. Kiheitai followed a developing trend which had been spearheaded by the shogunate following the Convention of Kanagawa to form military units based on ability rather than hereditary social status. Shinsengumi, a Kyoto-based, pro-Tokugawa police force, was founded in the same year as Kiheitai, and was also composed of people from a broad variety of social classes.
    pic:

source:

saga:

info:
    Saga recovered in the last decade or so of the bakumatsu period (i.e. the 1860s), however, taking in Western technology and reforming the domain's governance. The bureaucracy was cut by 80%, and efforts were made to support and encourage the peasantry. The domain's economy came to be focused upon ceramics, tea, charcoal, and related goods, and prosperity was found through trade.
    The tenth lord of Saga, Nabeshima Naomasa (r. 1830-61), established organizations for the research of Western technologies, including steel refining, steam engines and artillery, and turned the domain's efforts towards these pursuits, making it one of the most modern domains in this period. Saga thus began operations at the first Japanese iron refinery in 1849, and made the first use of reverberatory furnaces three years later. In 1853, Russian Admiral Yevfimy Putyatin arrived in Nagasaki harbor, and provided the first demonstration of a steam locomotive to the Japanese. Ishiguro Hirotsugu, Nakamura Kisuke, and Tanaka Hisashige were among the first Japanese engineers, who attempted to manufacture their own steam locomotives and steamships.
    When the shogunate relaxed the restrictions on the construction of large ships, an order was placed with the Dutch. Saga saw the revitalization of Japans' shipbuilding industry, and the launching of the first Japanese steamship, the Ryōfūmaru. The Nagasaki naval academy was established in 1855, its first students coming from Saga. By 1866, the incorporation of British Armstrong Whitworth cannon made the ships at Nagasaki into the first Japanese Western-style ("modern") navy. The defense batteries at Shinagawa were also supplied by cannon from Saga.
    Largely responsible for Japan's technological and military advancement, and holding much of the fruits of those labors, Saga attracted the attention of the shogunate, which kept a close eye on the domain until its fall in 1868. Saga played an important role in the Meiji Restoration, alongside the domains of Tosa, Satsuma, and Chōshū, and samurai from the domain fought the shogunate at the battle of Ueno and in other clashes of the Boshin War. As a result, the new Meiji government which emerged afterwards featured a number of figures from Saga, including Etō Shinpei, Ōkuma Shigenobu, Ōki Takatō, and Sano Tsunetami. Etō resigned from the government, however, along with a number of others in 1873 as the result of extensive disputes over invading Korea, an action which he, Saigō Takamori and others supported, but which was ultimately rejected by the council. Etō then organized the Saga Rebellion the following year, leading 3000 men in an assault against the new government which was quickly suppressed.
    The feudal domains were abolished in 1871, and the Nabeshima clan given the title "marquis" (kōshaku) under the new kazoku peerage system.

it`s a shame that ships cant be changed, considering saga`s naval history and naval acadamy.
    the dutch units i named above are still a option. maybe there`s a possibility to get something out of the russians generals visit, like russian railroad pioniers. or naval academy cadets. or saga marnies. but i dont think someone could find a specific saga domain unit.

besides i found some pictures of these saga soldiers wich seem to allready be used in the game:

source:

Tosa:

info:
    Sakamoto Ryoma, now this man is interesting. a low class samurai who got his title through his parents, who could afford buying a lower class samurai title through the money they had as sake brewers.
    he was a master of the sword and formed a anti-shogunate party with 200 samurai members - most of them to lower class samurais. he later fled to satsuma where he negotiated the alliance between satsuma and choshu, and founded the private navy and trading company in nagasaki (saga) by help of the satsuma. now a 200 men young lower samurai imperal fanatics kind of unit or something resulting out of that "private navy"(to wich i couldnt find more info) might be an idea. the best of it is that he was at work in 3 provinces making a splitt of certain units to certain fractions not that historicly inacurate.

source:

Satsuma: wasn`t able to find anything specific

Tsu: couldnt find info

Shogunate:

Aizu:

Byakkotai:

link:

pics:

Tokugawa Shogunate:

Shoguns bodyguards, elite unit:
    now this is a long shot, i recently rewatched a movie called the 13 assassins. the movie`s plot is based on a true story and set in japan during the 1840`s. it`s about 12 samurai and a hunter trying to assassinate the shoguns brutal brother. in that movie the specific uniformof the bodyguards of the shoguns brother caught my attention.
    watch the movie and make up your mind on what you think of it. it`s a long shot because of the differences of time and the questionable accuracy of a movie.

wikilink:

Denshutai:
    info:
    The Denshūtai (伝習隊?) was a corps of elite troops of the Tokugawa Bakufu during the Bakumatsu period in Japan.[1] The corps was founded by Ōtori Keisuke with the help of the 1867–68 French Military Mission to Japan.
    The corps was composed of 800 men. They were equipped with advanced Minié-type Enfield guns, vastly superior to the Gewehr smootbore guns possessed by the other Shogunal troops.
    The troops were trained by French officers such as Charles Chanoine and Jules Brunet, and fought during the 1868-1869 Boshin war.

pics:

Jozai:

no information on army, only information on that the clan was involved in gurillia warfare.

source:

Nagaoka:
    no info on army, only info from the battle of Hokuetsu, wich includes mentioning of prussian support of the clan, aswell as a imperial commando unit.

link:

obama: no info on military found

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Choshu's Kiheitai, Aizu's Byakkotai, Jozai's Yugekitai, and Shogunate Denshutai Cavalry are alrady in the game...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast