Thread: I need help with modding Mundus_Magnus 1.2

LiquidSantanero's Avatar Miles
    Aruba, (in the Caribean, not Middle-East)

Default I need help with modding Mundus_Magnus 1.2

Hi,

I have been trying to mod the mundus_magnus 1.2. It's the only one that actually works for me, the other ones just ctd to desktop

Anyways, I asked this in another thread and nobody paid any attention so I might as well start a new one.

I've recently started modding RTW...again after a year or so. I'm not good at it to be honest but can manage a thing or 2. Here is the deal:

I want to remove a few regions in mundus_magnus and place somewhere else, rename them and give them to other factions. I started with the region of Zufar, Ubar which I placed in the Peloponese near Sparta, renamed the region to Messenia, Messene. Edited the corresponding rebel.txt files, region and settlement names files (pasted at the bottom) deleted map.rwm, launched the game and got booted back to campaign select screen.
    I quit the game and got a message saying error descr_region.txt line 13, column xx "couldn't find tribus_brigantes in the string table". This is quite weird since I haven't even touched the entry of that region. So I removed the Messenia to Italy, renamed it to Picenum, Asculum, re-edited the corresponding text files, deleted map.rwm, launched the game, same error!!!

Does anyone know what triggers this or what I'm doing wrong?

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Default Re: I need help with modding Mundus_Magnus 1.2

wrong thread man
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Moved out of the tutorial section as this isn't a tutorial.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

You'll need to edit the descr_strat too, as well as the descr_region file.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

Quote Originally Posted by Paedric View Post
    You'll need to edit the descr_strat too, as well as the descr_region file.
    Thanks for the reply, Paedric. I had almost given up.

Both files have been edited. I even pasted them at the bottom/end. It's the error that doesn't make sense since it's referring to the very first entry of descr_regions.txt, which I haven't altered in any way whatsoever.

I hope someone can figure this out because my IT knowledge only goes so far....

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=351

Check out the tutorials... there is too much to explain.

Check out the Trivium Map Editor...

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Is there an entry for this rebel type in the rebel files?

Mathias, lollosuck, thank the both of you for the reply.
    I have checked that link, been there done that.

To answer your question lollosuck, yes that entry was there before, because everything that I placed in "my map", belongs to the mundus_magnus 1.2 map. I just copied everything and placed them in "my map" folder. Every relevant files where edited, descr_rebels, rebel_sm_faction.txt, descr_region.txt, descr_strat.txt.

I just don't understand how the show_err tells me that the error lies with an entry I haven't even edited!!!

Damn, thought Tribus_Brigantes was a rebel type. Is this Tribus_Brigantes in the imperial_file_with_the_very_long_name.txt? This is normally the cause of that error.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Damn, thought Tribus_Brigantes was a rebel type. Is this Tribus_Brigantes in the imperial_file_with_the_very_long_name.txt? This is normally the cause of that error.
    It certainly is!!

Tribus Brigantes is a region in England on the mundus magnus map, I'm trying to get rid of some of the regions in the Sahara region, Southern Arabia and the Steppes.

Like I said, the mundus_magnus v 1.2 works perfectly. all the files mundus_magnus has I put in "my map" folder. edited all the relevant files, and then edited those in data and text folder. I even deleted the map.rwm of the imperial campaign (read it in a tutorial somewhere) and still same error.

Are you running Vista or W7? Do you have Virtualstore activated?

I'm running windows 7 64 bit. I don't know about virtual store. How would I know when it's activated or how can I find that file so I can activate it if it isn't activated?

You should actually deactivate it as it's probably active.
    I will find you the instructions.

edit: Here it is: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=397636
    Last edited by lolIsuck; April 25, 2012 at 08:02 PM.

Will this virtual store still affect the game/modifications even though the RTW is not installed in any of the program files?

Thanks for the info, unfortunately that didn't help either. Still keeps telling me no descr_regions.txt tribus_brigantes in string_table

edit: I've discovered something interesting, though I don't know if it could be the root of the problem.

I used vercingetorix pak extractor to extract the ui and models_building_texture.pak after I've installed the mundus magnus mod. So when I tried to play the mm provincial campaign, I had a ctd saying that it couldn't find in models_building_texture #&desert_path_stony.tga. When I checked, indeed the models_building_folder didn't even have a texture folder in it. Do you think it could've screwed up when I extracted the pak files?

edit: Yes, using the vercingetorix pak extractor did mess up the files. I've deleted the data folder and placed a back up data I had saved, played an imperial campaign, no prob. Then I placed the mm mod, started a provincial campaign, played a turn, no problems either.

As it is late, and I really want to go watch episodes of Game of Thrones, I'll continue tomorrow/later and I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by LiquidSantanero; April 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: interesting discovery

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Here's one thing to check when you get "stringtable" errors:

The files in the "text" folder are encoded in the "UCS-2 Little Endian" format. When you modify anything in the "text" folder, check that you haven't unintentionally changed the format to ANSI, which is the format used for all other txt files.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Here's one thing to check when you get "stringtable" errors:

The files in the "text" folder are encoded in the "UCS-2 Little Endian" format. When you modify anything in the "text" folder, check that you haven't unintentionally changed the format to ANSI, which is the format used for all other txt files.
    Hi Muizer,

You're right. when I saved the modified txt.files it was in ANSI format. These are the only encoding I have when saving txt. files:

Unicode, ANSI, Unicode Big Endian, UTF-8. Which ones should I use now?

edit: I tried saving the descr_regions.txt in unicode format, still I get the same problem, just in the unicode language. Like, it's still the string_table in descr_regions. I honestly don't know what more I can do. I'm running out of options!!!
    Last edited by LiquidSantanero; April 28, 2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: tried saving txt in unicode

Patrician Artifex

Download Notepad++.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Download Notepad++.
    I have notepad ++ already. I just don't regularly use it. Besides, the notepad ++ I have doesn't have UCS-2 little endian format either

Edit: I'm an idiot. I just have to choose in the encoding tab to ucs-2 little endian format and save it in plain txt.file, right?

Or does it have to be saved in UCS-2 little endian? If so, then I'm stuck again because I don't have that save option. The best I can do is UTF-8.
    Last edited by LiquidSantanero; April 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: think I found the encoding

Patrician Artifex

Select everything, open the "format" tab and select " convert to ucs-2 little endian. Then save. IIRC, if you do this, whenever you place the crusor anywhere in the file, the option "Encode in ucs-2 little endian" should have a bullet next to it in the format menu.