Author: pheonix[illusion]
Original thread: How to make a normal file

How to make a normal texture file What is normal map (common as normal bump map)?

Normal bump map is a texture in the game which gives you more details on your model, without making extra polygons. It gives your unit "bumps" on parts of their clothes, so that it looks more realistic. It also gives shines and light on parts where you need (f.e. sword, helmets, armor)

What is the difference between texture with and without changes normal map?

Unit without changed normal map:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Unit with changed normal map

This is a small tutorial for making a normal textures
Please backup your files and make sure that you have Adobe Photoshop
First of all, you have to convert texture to dds.
You have to have Nvidia plug-ins for photoshop

I used mtw2_ee_peasant_poland and mtw2_ee_peasant_poland_normal as example. Copy those files into your folder (My Unit or something) and make sure that those are converted files (.dds extension)

This is an example.

Part 1: Normal Bump

Step 1.
Open mtw2_ee_peasant_poland from your folder and change it in whatever you want, make your texture. For example this is mine

When you are finished save it in case of a backup

Step 2.
Then, go to layers panel, right click on any layer, and flatten the whole image.

Step 3.

Use Marquee Select Tool, and select the whole layer
Like this

Pres Ctrl+C for copy

Step 4.
Now open mtw2_ee_peasant_poland_normal from your folder, and paste the selected image (Ctrl+V)
Now, flatten the whole image like in Step 2 (in this case you flatten the layer in mtw2_ee_peasant_poland_normal)

Step 5.

After flatting, go to Filter>NVIDIA Tools>NormalMapFilter
Like this

Put options like this (if you want smaller bump, decrease scale number, i like using 18)

You should get layer like this

This should be it for Normal Bump, now do Part 2 for shines and lightnings (Alpha Channel)
And remember, we are working in mtw2_ee_peasant_poland_normal from the Step 4. not mtw2_ee_peasant_poland (it is used only in three first steps)

Part 2: Alpha channels

Step 1
Still working in same mtw2_ee_peasant_poland_normal
Open Channels panel, and press Alpha 1 (it should be black, with some white parts)

Step 2
Press Ctrl+V to paste flatten image from Part 1, Step 3. (If it does not paste, copy once Part 1, Step 3, and get back to this Part and Step)
It should look like this

Step 3
Now go to Image>Adjustment>Level

Adjust it like you want. Dark parts won't have any lightnings and shines, while white will.

I use these options

Step 4

Some parts are still white (like heads, white clothes). They should not have any reflection and shine

Cover it with black color, so that it does not have any reflection

Part 3: Saving

As for saving, go to File>Save as... and select .dds format
mtw2_ee_peasant_poland_normal should be saved
Use DXT5 for saving options (If not, Alpha Channel won't be there, and you'll have problems in the game)

And that should be it!
Normal texture is finished!

WARNING: Sometimes Photoshop deletes Alpha Channel eve if you save as DXT5, so if you have that problem, try opening that saved file, and making new Alpha Channel (if it is deleted by Photoshop)

If there is a question, just ask.
If there is something you don't understand, just ask.