Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the next Total War is in Asia

Indefinitely Banned

Default If the next Total War is in Asia

If CA does make the next total war in Asia, and I don't think they will, where would it be, and what time period? I admit I don't know much about East Asian history but are there any interesting scenarios besides the Sengoku Jidai and the Warring States period?

Default Re: If the next Total War is in Asia

the Mongol Invasions in the 13th century - they fought against states in nearly all areas between Egypt and Japan or Hungary and Java (Indonesia)
    the fights in medieval India between Hindi and Muslim kingdoms during the Middle Ages and early modern areas (with heavy cavalry, elephants and later Arquebuses/cannons/rockets)
    or maybe the 7th/8th century - in the east the Tang Dynasty united China and conquered neighboring states while the Arabs invaded the western Asian areas.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Warring States Period is the best choice.

It fits the Total War theme.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

They've only just done Shogun 2 Total War which is not only East Asia but would be very close in terms of gameplay to Warring States China or Three Kingdoms (a civil war between a large number of very similar factions). There'd be none of the variety you got in Rome, Med or Empire.

It'll be an era people are familiar with but really they could do anything.

Reformation 1500-1660
    19th century
    Dark Age 475-700 ?
    Rise of Islam 600-1000 ?
    (actually the above two rolled into one would be quite a major undertaking)
    Peloponese total war

Given that they Rome was spectacular redoing that monster would seem appropriate. The mechanics just fall apart around WW1 unless they were too MASSIVELY alter the game.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

It doesnt have to be in those eras, it could include japan, Korea, Vietnam, Tibet, etc.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Three Kingdoms era would be interesting. There just wouldn't be enough factions unless they included all of the more minor factions that sprouted up.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

The only Asia-based game that would work has been made and thats Shogun 2 Total War. Anything else would be boring and repetitive.

The warring states? Chinese killing Chinese.. The may have different color armor and several units but its will be the same over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalwar14 View Post
    They've only just done Shogun 2 Total War which is not only East Asia but would be very close in terms of gameplay to Warring States China or Three Kingdoms (a civil war between a large number of very similar factions). There'd be none of the variety you got in Rome, Med or Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Three Kingdoms era would be interesting. There just wouldn't be enough factions unless they included all of the more minor factions that sprouted up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    The only Asia-based game that would work has been made and thats Shogun 2 Total War. Anything else would be boring and repetitive.

The warring states? Chinese killing Chinese.. The may have different color armor and several units but its will be the same over and over again.
    Do you know that Asia means not only two Chinese Civil Wars? There was and is more than just Warring States and Three Kingdoms ...
    This would be the same as saying Europe would be boring because only an English Civil War in the 17th century and various conflicts between Anglo-Saxon Dynasties in the 6th/7th century occured ...

Any TW game set in Asia could include many different nations with unique fighting styles. Just some examples I can think of at the moment:
    You have the Khmer, Koreans, Persians, Turks, Vietnamese, plus various Malay/Indonesian naval empires, Horse-Archers like the Mongols/Xiongnu/Huns plus Burmese and Thai Dynasties using Elephants, various Indian cultures either Buddhists/Hindus/Muslims fighting against each other or Invaders from outside. Some Indian dynasties created even colonial empires by conquering parts of South-East Asia during the Middle Ages.
    Furthermore you would have all the Indo-Greek, Indo-Parthian, Indo-Saka and Kuschan-Empires originating from Afghanistan and other parts of Central Asia penetrating deep into the Indian peninsular. Then there are the large Cities and Emirates in Central Asia (Buchara, Samarkand, etc.), when set in the 17th/18th century an Oman Empire fighting back the Portuguese in East Africa. And also in the later timeframes from the 16th century onwards all the european colonial powers as outside intruders like the Mongols in M2:TW and much more.

edit:
    and then there would be spectacular and impressive battlefields. From the dryest deserts of Arabia and Central Asia to deep and nearly impenetrable jungles, the Highlands of Tibet or Mongolia, large mountain ranges and deep and dark valleys plus Mangroves on some tropical coasts hindering you to create a solid and stable battle line.
    You have areas with tropical temperature the whole year to cold Siberia/Mongolia with 10 months of winter. Also heavy rain (Monsoons), sand storms, dense fogs and thunderstorms will feature you breathtaking effects and low visibleness during battles where you or the enemy can flank the other battleline and appear unexpected in your back.
    Last edited by Xerrop; May 09, 2012 at 10:24 AM.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post

Yeahhh... right.... because Japanese killing Japanesse not only once, but three times in a role, with different color armor and several units is boring and repetitive.... (and this is not a may be, but a "this is how already is in reality")
    Last edited by Lord Baal; May 09, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Japan gets the exception solely cause of this trope.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...terWithSamurai

China, Korea, Vietnam, the Manchus, Jurchen and all other obscure states near Xinjiang then include some Indochina do not have some iconic warrior caste to get people's imagination fired up. Well Shaolin monks can get close to that but we dont see any Shaolin unit formations kicking Mongol ass in the bid to create the Ming Dynasty now do we?

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Maybe not, but I still think China it's pretty meaty on the Total War aspect.
    Even more so if they include not just China but a big part of Asia, then you could play with India too..
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Nope not in my opinion. China's civil wars was short, consisted of few factions and was in TW aspect nothing, just like ACW. There is simply not enough meat on that bone to satisfy the fans for long. example Three Kingdoms lasted 60 years and had 3 factions.
    The idea of bringing the whole of Asia into a cauldron, well did the whole of Asia battle each other like in Europe? No? well then why create a fantasy game all the sudden, when there are historical periods that still are untouched?

EDIT: And the idea of having Korea, China, Vietnam, Tibet and Japan in the same game is ludicrous. That is simply a hornets nest CA hardly will stick its hands into. These countries has so much hate to each other that the game will turn politically and be banded in several Asian countries.

Well that is just my take on it of couse.
    Last edited by Sneaking Viper; June 09, 2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Add something
    Oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaking Viper View Post
    Nope not in my opinion. China's civil wars was short, consisted of few factions and was in TW aspect nothing, just like ACW. There is simply not enough meat on that bone to satisfy the fans for long. example Three Kingdoms lasted 60 years and had 3 factions.
    The idea of bringing the whole of Asia into a cauldron, well did the whole of Asia battle each other like in Europe? No? well then why create a fantasy game all the sudden, when there are historical periods that still are untouched?

EDIT: And the idea of having Korea, China, Vietnam, Tibet and Japan in the same game is ludicrous. That is simply a hornets nest CA hardly will stick its hands into. These countries has so much hate to each other that the game will turn politically and be banded in several Asian countries.

Well that is just my take on it of couse.
    Not to mention china probably banning the game due to having a Tibet faction.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

I'd like the warring period, but I hope it's not only China, I hope they include most of Asia.

I just want more factions and a game that takes place in more countries. Japan gets repetitive since you're fighting the people of the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetblowdryer View Post
    I'd like the warring period, but I hope it's not only China, I hope they include most of Asia.
    Yea i would like this with all the different cultures.

What would really be sad however is when Japan is only 2 provinces and it takes you 4 minutes to conquer. I'll be like "It took me 5 freaking hours to conquer Japan last game! That was not as fulfilling as I thought it would be."

Robertclive's Avatar Primicerius

I would rage. No more oriental ****.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaking Viper View Post
    Three kingdoms will fit for expansion DLC. The main game will be the 7 warring states. A much bigger and longer conflict though I wish for shorter period. This way we will have at least 4 seasons per turn as in Shogun rather than summer and winter only. Much longer time conflict will probably bring back 2 years per turn like in Med2. Awful !!

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Imjin War dammit

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    Imjin War dammit
    SEGA said no.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast