Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Traditional challenge

Default Re: Traditional challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Hartassen View Post
    British has the best ship. French has the best infantry. US is somewhere inbetween.
    That would make sence as Britain was the biggest naval power and france had the foreign legion at the time.
    I will also accept this challenge but i will do it in my own time (and proberly fail )
    The use of STEAM-ONLY by CA is ethically wrong because:
    1. It does not need to be forced. It could be optional as other games have proven.
    2. It discrminates between internet users and non-users or those who simply do not want it.
    3. The `advantages` are only advantages in a very small and superficial manner. they do not counter the disadvantages.
    4. It suits the company way more than the user. We are simply told it`s better for us

Default Re: Traditional challenge

Bleh. Bothered to finish my traditional Jozai game, can't say it would've been much fun post realm divide but ended up finishing the campaign anyway. All the mechanics of the game really are trying to just annoy you into submission when you're not abusing the AI's quirks with masses of rifles and cannons and don't even get the superb economy bonuses from modern buildings.

You have to fight every fight because autocalc loves modern units, and when the AI has shogunate infantry or even worse guard infantry, you'll have a hard time even beating the suckers in melee even without considering the runup to them with your melee heavy armies. You have an extremely hard time keeping up with unit production when you have money because of the two turn build times, and your units cost an arm and a leg considering their (lack of) effectiveness. You're limited to spamming gambling dens and traditional dojos in every city, and still don't have any real happiness bonus over a modern player because you don't get access to some key techs. You even get worse garrisons than the barracks chain, why on earth do barrackses provide line infantry but dojos don't provide kachi garrisons...

I quickly realized that making archer units was pretty much pointless, levies with improved accuracy do everything better and cheaper. The only use for bow units is their autocalc bug of killing tons of stuff that retreat if you end a fight after you get the prompt. Katana kachi and ninjas are really the only dojo units worth building after you get your upgrade buildings up, before that yari kachi are a better choice than the levies. I guess a few units of Yari Ki have their place as well, but I mostly just used them to run down enemy artillery. Also the Samurai hero still stinks even at level 9 with smithing province accuracy bonuses. And why on earth is the hero's second wind limited to only 3 units, come on.

Positive sides? Smith-bonused high level ninjas are rather fun, though horribly expensive. Defensive sieges are rather easy with upgraded katana samurai slicing and dicing everything without breaking a sweat. Early on the lack of modernity happiness penalty and generally stronger traditional units can make fights easier than they would be with modern units, but this changes rapidly towards the end of the campaign when the AI starts building high tier units. Stand your ground is still a great ability, especially with levy armies.

Victory screen:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59...0D393042B144F/

Modernity:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59...B62B92AA4F17A/

The results of a pretty boring end game siege fight (the most exciting sieges were pretty much right after RD against AIs using traditional units), but does show the power of katana samurai in defense rather well in the kill-count:
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...CD764E96C53B5/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123