Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: British Home Service Helmet

Default British Home Service Helmet

Well i figured i'd post this up here in case anyone wants to help me out. New to modding shogun completely but going to dedicate some time to working it out. Worked heavily with FPS games before (ID Tech 3, Unreal Engines and Source) and have a good background in texture artistry (some 3d modelling)...anyway enough about me

Idea: British Home service helmets...little late for the game period (introduced in 1878) but still would be cool to see the black and white variants. Also would mean we could start working on a zulu war mod seeing as the one for NTW seems to have vanished (no DL links)

Also thinking about doin a down and dirty reskin of the US faction to make some confederate troops. Again any help on either is much appreciated even if it is just advice or refs. No time frame for being finished but as soon as i get to grips with the tools or lack there of i'll do a quick turn around

Refs below:

http://coghlinandupton.netfirms.com/...s/CHH-0810.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...et_mg_3385.jpg

Default Re: British Home Service Helmet

Retexturing possible, but no 3D modeling can be done as there is no way to open and edit the mesh files.

Maybe you can make a breakthrough. It took VERY long time for people to find a way to be able to edit Empire Total War and NTW mesh files.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

The creator of the Zulu war mod Kungfuserge has contact with a tool developer. He requested some help lately so a modem converter for shogun could be made. Look for him in the ETW forums in the Pirate mod thread.
    Perhaps together you'll be able to create this tool?

thanks for the tips guys...i was thinking about the mesh problem last night and it might be possible to make a fake mesh with 2 textures using alpha channels...not sure whether this would work in the engine but it might be worth a try if no tools could be found. Either way i'll give Kungfuserge a bell a see what we can come up with.

In the short term you could try retexturing the jingasa hat somehow. I don't know if it would look that great but it would be a step in the right direction

Just to let you guys know i've been chatting back and forwards to Kungfuserge all day...need to brush up on my coding knowledge (off to the book store etc) to remember some lua but we will be working on some projects together. Hopefully have some news for you sometime soon.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Excellent, the both of you could create something very usefull!

Ok first challenge for you ... Are you ready !!!

this is the frontend main menu for the STW2 textures .... nobody can edit this file untill now .
    if you can edit this file into xml , we can change aspect of the menu ( titles , tga etc ... )

python script maybe ?
    Last edited by kungfuserge; April 24, 2012 at 05:03 AM.

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Oh my lord. A ui converter? Just... beautiful!

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

i'm on it...time to get breaking stuff

Hello

I'm glad you have accepted the challenge ;

here are some elements if I may try to help as much as I can

1°) bbolthou@unwrap3d.com he is the owner of the
    Code:
    http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx
    that is a must in case you want to open mesh

this is the last message I have from him

Hi,
    For older files, bone indices are stored in the .rigid_model file.
    For newer .rigid_model_v2 files, they are still probaby there.
    But, I don't know where they are or how they're stored.
    ( I suspect the key of many answers is in the shogun2.dll)
    we were speaking about the animation of artillery ( gatling gun etc ..) that cannot be loaded along with the model so It could be interesting having him as a contact
    he gave us the Uu3d which is a necessary tool

2° There is a set of tools converters made by taw

https://github.com/taw/etwng/

These tools are mostly for NTW/ETW ;his Ui converter doesn't support this version of the file
    he is using a python script in order to open the very same file I gave you ,

(for ETW/NTW) ; you could pick up his tools and start your work from his script and see what can be done ...

3° about the Top wanted "cherry upon the cake" a mesh converter for Shogun2 " I would gladly buy it if it exist ! ...
    - not only for the shogun2 game , but this format is obviously what is going to be used for the next games ; so it would be an investment for the future
    Last edited by kungfuserge; April 25, 2012 at 01:19 AM.

If we do actually get an updated ui converter, I'll whole-heartedly become a fanboy.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

One interesting thing I have discover since the new engine FOTS : Is that I don't need the Atlas files to create my units : Saving time and much much more easy ; try ,

Yep, I came across that pretty quickly. It let me take a 800mb mod down to ~190mb . Far, far easier to do clan-specific armour pieces!

I also noticed CA stuck in some XML for the frontend map and associated camera pans. Could be cool for you to show off a few things via that .
    Last edited by Akaie; April 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

ok the last two days have been super busy at work but i'm making a little progress with the file i'm hoping to have a major breakthrough over the weekend!

Awesome, just awesome. How I wish I could help, sadly all I have is the tutorials in the workshop. Maybe after testing I'll start to pursue some modding. Plus rep to you sirs!

Edit: must spread around the rep? Arg...

lol well to be honest i have no idea what i'm doing as of yet with the file (ref help for any of us) right now my strategy is to make lots of copies and basically break each one until i find something interesting (code wise that is)...working through a bunch of books also, i'm amazed by how much i've forgotten (been out of this for over a year) but it's coming back fast. + rep to kung for all his amazing work though

Well maybe I should be looking for a tutor soon to try and help.

I want to learn but I don't have the time right now with all my tests and work.

Kung's work is one of the most impressive seen on total war center but he is too humble to show rep. Alwell I'll give it to him anyways.

If you need any tricks or hint just ask here ;

I have managed to have a wakisaki + Scabbard at belt and the Nodashi + scabbard in the back .... after many hours ( lol)

of course things would be easier with a variant mesh converter , because we could re Assign the weapons to different bones ;
    Special thanks to Daniu who has created a nice working tool ( PFM & esf editor) for the FOTS engine

I actually wouldn't mind knowing how you applied the scabbards, mostly for the units that have an unsheathed katana sitting at their side. Even worse since the animation suggests they are holding the damn blade .

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast