Thread: Less units

Default Less units

Hi, I think your mod is great. I love the new skins (especially for the roman legions ) and also the way the romans fight almost realistic (it would be better if they stayed in formation, but this is not what this is about).

I noticed how you doubled the amounts of units e.g. instead of 81 hastati 162 etc. Can you please make a patch or something that restores the units to their original values. I just don't like having that much men because it drains the towns populace to quickely and the battles become too big, and also the single units are alot harder to control (i am abit of a noob ) and my comp lags after about more that 6000 soldiers.

Overall it's an awesome mod probably the best I've Played for RTW. I didn't like RTR because it got rid of the new legions that could do testudo (But it was still Awesome). I am also using your BI skins, but I think you left out the British Legionares and are you going to follow up on that and fully mod BI?

P.S
    In the mod description you say the AI is made better but I think its gotten worse. When I use archers I just waste the enemy and they turn their backs to me and run in circles. Also I noticed that the AI goes for a flanking charge but doesn't do it. Is it something I did or can you fix it .

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Less units

Well my mod doesn't edit the unit sizes, all you need to do is go to the video options and set the unit sizes to large instead of huge. I am not going to do a full mod for Bi. Sometimes the ai can act worse, but mostly it acts a lot better, try fighting some barbarian factions and watch as the charge all their forces into the centre of your line like they historically did whilst trying to flank simulatneously
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

It's the same thing with Lt's mod, simply change unit sizes. In video options, accessed from the main menu.
    ---
    My bad, I thought this was posted in the SPQR forum. Ignore my above post

Merged Posts
    Last edited by Hader; June 17, 2006 at 10:09 PM.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Think I have to change mine units size aswell. My computer kind of get lag. Is there any other options that affects lag? Which doesn't?

It fun with big battles, but lag is annoying.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Quote Originally Posted by Appius
    Think I have to change mine units size aswell. My computer kind of get lag. Is there any other options that affects lag? Which doesn't?

It fun with big battles, but lag is annoying.
    yes, if you have something called anti aliasing/sampling on high(4 or 6x) then this will seriously hurt your frame rate, it could be enabled from your graphics card drivers or rtw/te itself...also if anisotropic is on high this will also slow you down frame rate wise, this is also in your video drivers options, anisotropic makes textures look a little more realistic/lifelike and they have more depth, anti aliasing is to smooth out "jaggies", the higher the level of anti aliasing tho, the higher the slowdown on your pc, also if you have effects quality on high or above in rtw then this will seriously slow your computer when archers use flaming arrows or theres night battles etc....and as lusted pointed out, go to your main video options in rtw/te and drop unit size from huge to large or even medium, huge slows down all but the fastest pc's and wrecks population growth early in the game!!

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Yea Had big lag when my Archer used flaming arrows. Haven't fought so many Night battles yet though.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

yeah appius theres many options you can try to cut out the lag, but the most important ones are unit size, anti aliasing, unit detail and effects detail, also your resolution will affect the framerate, if you are running it at 1280x 1024 then put it back to 1024 x 768 and it should run smoother, look in your video drivers options to find things such as 3d quality(performance,quality etc..), anti aliasing, v synch,anisotropic and so on, these will all help your framerate by lowering them/switching them off etc....
    i have my settings as follows, anti aliasing x4(high) anisotropic (in video drivers) x8, resolution 1024 x768, unit detail full,texture details full, but notably unit size=large(not huge) and effects details high(not full/v high) and my game mainly runs smoothly... i have amd 3000xp processor, nvidia 6800gs video card and 2gb of ram/memory so unless you have something similar or better then drop your graphics options