Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paged error in non-paged memory

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Default Paged error in non-paged memory

I have had 3 BSOD's in the last week and one from 27/3 which might be the same. I don't have the exact error right now but it is something to do with pages memory error in non-paged memory.

I have 4 dmp files in the minidump so I will try and get the windbg later to try and read these.

Win 7 64-bit professional. I have an SSD and 1TB data disk. The SSD is the OS disk. Last weekend it started after I tried to reinstall OWL s/w but this morning it was just after a reboot, logged in to windows and BSOD.
    Last week I did a system restore to an earlier point just before the crash and it has been fine all week, but that said I don't reboot much, it tends to stay up constantly whereas this morning I had to reboot.

Clearly I need to get the dmp file read first. Does that give me the actual error though as these are in the minidump directory and I understand these may not be full errors.

Oh, I have Mint 11 as a dual boot and that was fine so I assume this is just the OS memory rather than RAM? Anything else I should look at to track what is at fault.

Default Re: Paged error in non-paged memory

http://www.memtest.org/

I had a similar issue recently. Turns out my memory was fried. Its a self booting free program. Burn it and set it to boot. At the very least you could eliminate the possibility of it being a memory error.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Administrator Emeritus

Thanks, I tried that just now and it's OK. OK, I'll try downloading Windbg to read the dump file. +rep anyway.

Have you tried to set the virtual/paged memory to 0?
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

Administrator Emeritus

No. I can try that I guess but Windebug looks like it has found the culprit:

BugCheck 50, {ffffffffffffffd0, 1, fffff80002e891dd, 0}

Unable to load image \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Protected Folder\pffilter.sys, Win32 error 0n2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for pffilter.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for pffilter.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
    Probably caused by : pffilter.sys ( pffilter+4065 )

Followup: MachineOwner
    ---------

2: kd> !analyze -v
    *******************************************************************************
    * Bugcheck Analysis *
    *******************************************************************************

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
    Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except,
    it must be protected by a Probe. Typically the address is just plain bad or it
    is pointing at freed memory.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: ffffffffffffffd0, memory referenced.
    Arg2: 0000000000000001, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.
    Arg3: fffff80002e891dd, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory
    address.
    Arg4: 0000000000000000, (reserved)

I'll check that is installed but I'll try that too - it is not repeatable at will unfortunately.

I've had this exact error before, it was a hardware error. I was mixing RAM voltages, I had 2 sets of RAM, same timings, same type, but different manufacturer and voltages. I fixed it by removing one pair. It was an infuriating error though, since all the RAM technically worked, the Memtest came back clean, and the error was at very random intervals.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Administrator Emeritus

8GB of RAM and it is all the same manufacturer:

Slot #1
    Type DDR3
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
    Part Number 99U5471-002.A00LF
    Serial Number 8132E0AA
    Week/year 51 / 10
    SPD Ext. EPP

Slot #2
    Type DDR3
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Serial Number 8232D0AA
    Week/year 51 / 10
    SPD Ext. EPP

Slot #3
    Type DDR3
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Serial Number 8032D2AA
    Week/year 51 / 10
    SPD Ext. EPP

Slot #4
    Type DDR3
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Manufacturer Kingston
    Serial Number 88161F8C
    Week/year 02 / 11
    SPD Ext. EPP

I guess the last one could be an issue given it is 3 weeks later, but the memory has been stable since it was swapped early last year and I switched all of it (4GB) at the same time to the same type.

I've reinstalled IObit stuff too which is where pffilter.sys comes from and I guess I'll just need to wait to see if it happens again.

Administrator Emeritus

Oh dear. I had to reboot this morning as I needed to turn the mains off. Did that (nice clean shutdown) and now I get this every time, I don't even need to login to Win7, if I leave it on the login screen it will BSOD. I have run sfc /scannow and reverted to last restore point in safe mode but no joy, still bsod.

I guess the next step is to try and update all the drivers. Beyond that I can try and find my original recovery CD's. I have Win7 and Mint 11 on an SSD with all data stored on a 1TB and also 1.5TB external backup so going back to the original restore disks is not the end of things - I just have to find the disks first.

I'd rather try and track down the bad driver if possible first though. Anyone any ideas? I can download via mint and then boot back into safe mode

Do you have another compatible RAM chip? Take your other chips out, and put the chip in the DIMM slot closest to the CPU, and see if you can bot it and keep it stable. If you don't have a spare chip, just cycle through the ones you have now.

Also, reset your BIOS to failsafe or factory defaults, if you haven't. Finally, if you have a way to check their temperature, do so. If it's getting anywhere over 70C, try putting a makeshift fan on it, cooling it down, and seeing if that stabilizes it a bit.
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; April 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Administrator Emeritus

I ran memtest last time for a few cycles last time I had this and it showed no error.

I don't have any other RAM, it's got 8GB now, however I can try them one at a time.

Temperature is fine, I use CoreTemp (? I think it's that, I'm in Mint now so not running it) and temperature never goes over 40C even at startup or under load on any of them. It runs very cool. In fact last time, I let it sit at the login screen for a good 20 minutes, no problem, but as it went through login it crashed.

What I don't understand if it is RAM though, is why Mint has no problem at all? I guess it might not be using much of the RAM but it would surely cause a similar issue if it was.

BIOS is at factory anyway. Still, I'll try the DIMM slots see if that isolates.

Administrator Emeritus

May have solved it. I ran a few chkdsk's but actually I think the problem may be a whole lot easier than that. I have 2 external hard drives, one is an old 80GB freecom that has had a problem in the past. Disconnecting it and everything is fine. It's all backed up anyway but looks like it may need a reformat.

Have you got two RAM sticks? When I bought some new RAM a few years back, I put both sticks right next to each other and I got endless BSODs. Upon noticing my mistake and putting them both in the same colour slot (thus enabling Dual channel as a bonus), the BSODs stopped.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Administrator Emeritus

I have 4, all the same, kingston 2GB DDR3 - they're detailed above. As I said, I think the problem is the freecom drive. I'll probably safeboot with it connected and then reformat it.

Administrator Emeritus

It's back!

However I think I have it isolated. I had some system updates and it failed on reboot, same BSOD. I restored it to a system restore point, and it still failed.
    I disconnected my larger external disk (Samsung 1.5Tb) and it works. So in both cases, removing an external drive has solved it. I know as well as possible that the samsung disk is OK, and adding it to the system after startup is fine. It seems to BSDO when the drives are connected at startup.

This would suggest it is some system driver for the externals accessed at boot time or at least something that is only affecting the system during windows load.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Updated your BIOS lately?

Administrator Emeritus

Not knowingly. I'll give that a shot.

[edit] Updated to latest bios (Asus M4A87TD EVO) bios is now v2001 but same problem, started with external disk connected, BSOD, without, no problem.
    Last edited by Ybbon; May 10, 2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: update

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

It certainly does not like externals. With a conflict like that is where I'd look.

What are your BIOS settings for peripherals?

Administrator Emeritus

Not sure and not sure what it should be either. I'm going to upgrade my mint 11 to 12 later, I'll check then when I reboot.

Just to add this little bit of info to the mix - Apple charger causes instability to external devices. I hope this helps. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

@ybonn66 - do you have Advanced SystemCare installed on that computer?
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast