Thread: Anglo-saxon cavalry

Default Anglo-saxon cavalry

Did the anglo-saxons ever use much cavalry? Im asking because they have heavy cavalry as well as superb infantry and archery in the game, they are truly super factions. I don't know much about their equipment at the time though, so I'm not arguing it's wrong necessary..

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Anglo-saxon cavalry

I don't know exactly about their cavalry historically, but it's not wrong to assume some of their nobles fought mounted.

You could note though, that the Anglii and Saxons only have 2 native cavalry units. (compare to the Romano-British, who have 5 native cavalry units) so they are weak in the cavalry through the lack of versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmansk Tiger View Post
    Did the anglo-saxons ever use much cavalry? Im asking because they have heavy cavalry as well as superb infantry and archery in the game, they are truly super factions. I don't know much about their equipment at the time though, so I'm not arguing it's wrong necessary..
    Yes they did but in comparison to the Romano factions it should be much less in use. I tried to make it difficult for them to recruit the heavier types. I'm trying to make the Germanic factions very strong at sea(more so the Jutes) and with infantry. Strong Infantry as in their veterans and nobles. I'll go through it again Tasmansk Tiger and make sure they arnt easily accessible and tone down the archers slightly if needed for Britanniae II

Quote Originally Posted by scutarilegion View Post
    I don't know exactly about their cavalry historically, but it's not wrong to assume some of their nobles fought mounted.

You could note though, that the Anglii and Saxons only have 2 native cavalry units. (compare to the Romano-British, who have 5 native cavalry units) so they are weak in the cavalry through the lack of versatility.
    Agree scutarilegion;.Just wanna make sure the humane player cant take an unhistorical advantage of the heavier type
    Last edited by Riothamus; April 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Thanks for looking into it! I used lots of heavy cavalry in a saxon campaign I played last summer, but I haven't tried it much lately, just thought of it now for some reason.. so I guess this is a mere observation