I quite recently came into possession of 2 very old British-Indian battle sabers which, according to who I got them from, were confiscated from Russian soldiers during the first world war.
Although in themselves they hold very little historical value as they are extremely simple swords, look production line, and are extremely beat up, so I got them very cheap. Despite the age and condition they seem to have held their temper well, and are solid enough; I have been wanting to use them to teach my sister how to use a sword, but I'm unsure of how to properly get them up to working order.
They are honestly in the worse state I've seen a sword and it's a wonder that they've passed all strength tests I've thrown at them.
They are covered in very old patches of rust. Rust that has now turned black, the edges have obviously been removed with very very little care on the part of the police, looking now like the edge of a wood file where they've been ground flat, and there is a little problem with the hilts not being fully stable as it looks like at some point someone has tried to remove the end of the tang to get inside the handle, although it appears as though they failed.
Anyway, I've been going over them for a couple of weeks now and am still unsure on what to do. I'm afraid of going about the normal rust removing methods due to the age of the rust that it's turned black, and I am unsure of what to use to stabilize the hilt as hammering the tang back into place only half-fixed the problem.