Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: DarthMod: Shogun v3.9-4.0 Feedback

Default Re: DarthMod: Shogun v3.9-4.0 Feedback

Today there will be a new HotFix version uploaded with the following changes:

• Vanilla Boshin Rifle Units "Break Dance Bug" Fixed (It can now occur very very seldom).
    • Naval Campaign movement points doubled for a more dynamic game and many invasions (in the previous version this was not enabled correctly).
    • Land Campaign movement points increased very slightly.
    • Several fixes to CAI handicaps.
    • FotS buildings cheaper for the AI to make it more challenging (to develop and build more armies).
    • Yari Kachi Anti-Cavalry Bonus increased slightly.
    • Some improvements to character skill tiers (now the FotS General and Character have not so many bonuses per upgrade).
    • Traditional buildings have more modernization penalties (your choice for modern or traditional warfare is now clearer).
    • Some Building effects improvements/vanilla fixes.
    • Movement speed penalties balance improved.
    • Melee mechanics improved to become more decisive and violent.
    • Unit responses improved.
    • Mangonel effectiveness balanced.

So if you have any request, now it is time to be heard.
    Last edited by DARTH VADER; May 12, 2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Updated the changelog

Are buildings still cheaper for player as well?

Sounds like good changes

What is the thing with movement penalty?

Fired up a SJ campaign for the first time in months. I played as hojo, eager to give catapults and fireboms a try. unfortunately, catapults cant hit the broad side of a barn. I had 3 of them and attacked a castle of the first settlement tier. About 50/75% of the shots missed the town entirely (had ordered them after seeing their innaccuracy to attack the ground around the middle of the town) and had to evacuate my army since several missed shots came dangerously close to my own units and one unfortunately hit my ashigaru unit dead on (I had divided my army in three sections, each section had a single catapult and was set up as forward as possible, and on three different sides of the enemy castle.)

tl;dr: I do like the killing power (although they might be a tad too strong) but I strongly dislike their utter inability to actually hit something.
    Funny thing is, last S2 campaign I played (which was in 2.95 or something I think?) they were quite accurate as I remember but they did nothing when they hit a unit. Now it's the other way around)
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Idk if doubling land movement points is what I want. I'll install it right away and see how it feels though, who knows until they've experienced it. I assume it's a save game compatible hotfix yeah?

Doubling Land movement points may not be a good idea.It reduces the need for planning and reduces the need for railways

That was my first thought but when are we really using railways to travel one province over? Their primary use for me over the last 3 campaigns have solely been to transport armies over many provinces, not one or two.

As I said, the only real way to know is to try it out.

I am against doubling land travel speed, as well as naval speed as well. Strongly even. It makes being a pain in the ass too easy. Examples: You can savely attack a settlement from home ground in one turn without suffering attrition. Player, as well as AI will have to leave a town completely undefended just to chase down harassing armies, because they will obviously not engage a stronger force and just run. Naval bombardements are easier to pull off. Invading armies (from sea) will be rather difficult to control. Might be a good thing. But the player will abuse this as well.

I don't mind increasing land travel speed, but doubling is a bit much. What I'd much rather see is the AI building more railroads and railroads costing less movement points (so you can travel increased distances by rail)
    Double that. Perhaps even triple it. But it would make railroads a lot more important than they are now.

You don't need to pull your entire garrison to deal with a raiding army unless the army is the same size as your garrison -_- you don't have to pulverize every threat to dust with 5000 men when 500 will do. Let's save our strong condemnations for after we've actually played it, even if I agree with both of you.

I'm all for increasing the naval movement points, but I don't really enjoy it when the armies are allowed to walk too far. It does, like Chees3 said, reduce the need for planning.

Is it only the AI that gets cheaper buildings in FotS? I'd like the human players NOT to get cheaper buildings at all, but keep the high prices, I can already develop my settlements way too fast.

Thanks for a great mod, I would not be playing Shogun without it.

severely dislike increased movement points. at the very least i hope its an optional file. i also don't like cheaper buildings, econ management is one of the few things that keeps campaign challenging. radious does the same in his mod work and its OK for awhile but it really destroys balance/difficulty very quickly and just ends up in unit spam. where as properly building/maintaining veteran/elite units just doesn't even matter as you can easily replace them in 2 turns. (the cheaper buildings and movement speed both contribute to this) no one cares if they throw away a rank 2 yari ash unit in a siege, but losing say a rank 8 katana hero unit in an epic siege defense is heartbreaking and beautiful because of the work it takes to get and maintain the unit. and that just doesn't exist when unit spam comes into play.

i'm ok with current movement points for navies and armies.

my main issue is it's still 2 easy for gunboats/small navies to damage drydocks. also it's still odd how i'll have a whole fleet surrendered but then "sink" on the campaign map....

p.s played a campaign on hard as satsuma and was way to easy. gonna play another campaign in a few months perhaps as a dlc clan if they are any good (on a harder dif).

thks darth for the fun so far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    [...]
    my main issue is it's still 2 easy for gunboats/small navies to damage drydocks. also it's still odd how i'll have a whole fleet surrendered but then "sink" on the campaign map....
    [...]
    Totalheadache that's a really good point imo. But saying a mod/game is easy because you beat it with the easiest clan isn't much of an opinion. That's like saying Empire TW was super easy when it came out after beating it with England (AI was broken and couldn't do naval invasions.. so you were pretty much invulnerable). Satsuma and Tosa have it very very easy. Satsuma basically gets a fortified island power base and Tosa expands directly into the most difficult opposition during realm divide. So neither one has to deal with that much of a threat.

Choshu and Tsu have a much harder time both because of start locations and clan bonuses.

We all have an axe to grind though. I personally hate archers in FotS. They're so good they make gunpowder units seem like an illogical evolution of warfare. I mean why bother when you already have a bow that does more damage!
    Last edited by CTD_or_Bust; May 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM.

i'm not to sure about doubling movement. in fots, my most importan land and naval stack(s) always run with every possible retainer on board for range increase as they all seem to stack. if i put a high ranked geisha with my admiral, it's not to entertain him, but to make the ships cover more distance every turn. having a naval stack that can outdistance every other naval stack in the game is so nice.

Doubling land movement in FOTS will be an insane imbalance. It will basically reward players for only upgrading military units/buildings from one territory. What's worse is that it will be a huge nerf to the AI. The AI does not know better than to upgrade military buildings in only a few territories. Now humans will be able to exploit that imbalance further.

Please do not break the game! Can't you add that as an additional option or something?

Hmm, I'm liking the changelog a lot. I'll load up one of my saves tomorrow with the new fix. I got stuck in a siege I should be able to win but can't because my troops won't react to my command, I hope that will be fixed. But even if it doesn't the changelog looks good!