Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: DarthMod: Shogun v3.9-4.0 Feedback

Default Re: DarthMod: Shogun v3.9-4.0 Feedback

ya you're just missing a file in there somewhere. if nothing else just remove them 1 by 1 and verify till you find it.

Playing a the Satsuma on H/H with all options on except extra garrisons and projecticle boost. (clean install, new campaign)

1. After winning my first battle and taking my first town the emperor offered me a promotion for my general to inspector General and therefore i was placed as a Shognato (or something similar). IN 6 restarts of this campaign I have never had that come up, has something changed?

2. My General is still only recieving 2 points when he levels up.

3. Naval movement still seems the same.

4. LOVING the way rifles work atm, very goodtimes!

Hm, I'm playing as tosa right now and so I'm fighting a fair bunch of naval battles. I have the most advanced navy around (all iron plated with at least one ironclad, all ammo types) and I face mostly wooden sips (although hardly any gunboats, which is good. AI also bunches ships up in true fleets now)

However, there's something odd: Ships are hard to sink and don't explode at all. I didn't like the tendency of vanilla ships to blow up when you looked at them, but this is a bit too much. When a single ship is on fire and being pummeled by an entire fleet (explosive, round or advanced AP doesn't matter) it should explode at some point. One of the rounds is bound to hit the engine, or the fire should do so. I have fought a battle where a ship was set on fire and abandoned very quickly. Five minutes later it was still happily burning away.

Ships also rarely sink. Most of the time my tactics revolve around shooting round shot until the enemy gets into short range, then switch to explosive. After three or four volleys (of an entire fleet, maybe 30 guns in all) the ships will be on fire and get abandoned.

Then again, the lack of sinking might also be caused by the fact that I use explosive shot. I will fool around with ammo types a bit, see if I can get them to sink. I do really love ship accuracy though: When the entire fleet fires at once, the whole see explodes with shells flying everywhere. It's fairly innacurate but it's a nice balance.

Finally, another oddity is probably a vanilla thing which mught be hardcoded: Reinforcing ships come in tight clusters. This is fine, except that they keep sailing in said tight clusters. It means a bigger target for me, and since they sail in rows of three it also means two ships are shooting their own ships. Is there a way to let them spread out when they reinforce? Either before or after entering the battle, doesn't really matter which as long as they dont sink their own ships
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Switch to solid shot for a few battles and see how that goes. I had the same results when using a heavy dose of explosive shell. The rigging and masts would fall off and it'd be just lovely but the ships would never explode or sink.

I started a new campaign with Tosa today and my early naval actions, pre explosive shell, almost always result in exploding or sinking ships. I think solid shot has is tied to it pretty closely.

The general in FOTS is meant to recieve 2 points, that's more than enough for the decreased amount of skills compared to sengoku campaign.

Hmm doesent work for me..
    Deinstalled Darthmod
    Then installed 3.4 and after that 4.0

No Savegames anymore and no possibility to create a new campaign. Its greyed out..
    hmm
    reinstalled it already but still cant play

Any hints? :/

ps: great work Darth!!

"ps: great work Darth!!" wasnt meant ironic sry just noticed after posting

Brips's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Vudu View Post
    Hmm doesent work for me..
    Deinstalled Darthmod
    Then installed 3.4 and after that 4.0

No Savegames anymore and no possibility to create a new campaign. Its greyed out..
    hmm
    reinstalled it already but still cant play

Any hints? :/

ps: great work Darth!!
    I had this too when I wrong installed (any mods or/and scripts line)or no steam internet connection
    All map textures improved mod(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395355
    Real crazy medieval music (4pages!):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389092
    More war horn sounds(MTW2,DLV)!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=229015
    More Loading screens MEGA pack Team!(MTW2,DLV):
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389893
    Mods Oblivion and Fallout3:
    Tape "Brips" on nexus then go to author name "Brips".

gumby7's Avatar Civis

hey darth. The vocabulary from computer camp alludes me, but Im experiencing a problem in 4.0 that wasn't in 3.9 where the sprites are flipping through different positions like a deck of cards. Where a live standing unit, whether he's idle or fighting, is rotation between standing and prone floating above the ground and also flipping between facing N,S,E, and W. It also happens to corpses but they never stand, only flip through different directions. very crazy. It only starts after a battle has been going for a while though, and there have been some battles where it doesn't happen (possibly siege specific). Is this description clear?

Oh, and this is in FOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby7 View Post
    hey darth. The vocabulary from computer camp alludes me, but Im experiencing a problem in 4.0 that wasn't in 3.9 where the sprites are flipping through different positions like a deck of cards. Where a live standing unit, whether he's idle or fighting, is rotation between standing and prone floating above the ground and also flipping between facing N,S,E, and W. It also happens to corpses but they never stand, only flip through different directions. very crazy. It only starts after a battle has been going for a while though, and there have been some battles where it doesn't happen (possibly siege specific). Is this description clear?

Oh, and this is in FOTS.
    I've seen this a few times in FOTS as well, but usually with dead bodies. I faintly remember seeing this once on living units, but I'm not sure. It seems to be related to the amount of dead bodies on screen: The more bodies there are the spazzier things get. Moving the bodies to the edge of the screen, so a lot of them are offscreen lessens the problem. Happens more often in sieges, but that might just be because a lot of people die in sieges and usually in a smaller area.

I get the bernie problem when I change my graphics settings during a battle. On higher settings it doesn't seem to occur though. But yeah, I know what you guys are talking about.

Still having the issue of enemy ships in Sengoku Jedai moving off to the edge of the battle map. 4.0 DMS, hard/hard settings. Is everyone just auto calcing because I only see this mentioned every so often but it has been a problem for quite some time. I have a theory the wide turn radius of ships may be contributing to it, as enemy AI likes to circle you but once they get out so far they seem to just keep going straight instead. It is very frustrating, I am alt tabbed now while my units are moving off to 3 or 4 ships on the edge of the map to just finish a battle. I could auto calc, but then I'd take ridiculous extra losses.

Alright I'm coming up on three hundred turns for a DM 4.0 long campaign I started, so here goes. I started a Tosa H/H campaign in FotS because I think I accidentally deleted the Choshu one I had going. I stayed on the start island with 3 of the 4 provinces and eventually sent an invasion fleet up north. I carved out a good chunk of the northern part of the country and almost have it secured. Realm divide (or whatever its equivalent is) happened and I went independent - in other words, I'm at war with everyone and their mothers. Here's a layout of what I observed:

Other factions/nations:
    Instead of having two or three clans dominate the map from early on, there was always a good spread of powers and alliances across the map. For a good hundred turns or so (up to divide) there were 8 or 9 clans with about 10 provinces each (estimating), which made for some excellent power struggles. I have to say, intentional or not, I was really impressed with how this played out. I could wage a war or two without compromising my clan (economically, militarily, etc.), I could rely on my allies to hold a front, and I could trade with a neighbor instead of some chump halfway across the map.

Diplomacy:
    I was still a little disappointed with diplomacy. Trading is easier now, but I still found myself at war with "Very Friendly" clans who were hell-bent on refusing every peace offer I sent, payment or no. I was sorely tempted to wipe out the two major clans that pulled that crap on me, but they were also in the way of the Shogunate forces and weren't pressing their attack on me too hard. They did a fair job of locking up my ports though. Also, when I declared Independence, my two strongly-tied allies bailed on me. I guess that's not at all unheard of, but it did put a damper on the campaign.

Sieges:
    Speaking of disappointments, here's the biggest one of all. During multiple sieges my units would completely stop moving and refuse to man the walls for defense. Most of the time I could recover and use my melee troops to compensate, but the last time it happened I punched a hole in my wall and rage-quitted. I was up against three armies of levies and had a full stack of elite units, including six units of Tosa Riflemen. My six units of Tosa Riflemen (upon which the battle hinged) refused to get on the walls and fire. "Fine, I'll just move them," I thought. My katana kachi will jump the attackers as they vault the wall. But no, my riflemen would not only refuse to man the walls, but they wouldn't move at all. Awful. And it happened repeatedly. My machine was running smoothly, so I don't think it was my hardware dying out on me. In any case, I really hope I don't run into this issue again. Siege battles are one of my strong points in the game, and it was painful to watch such misery unfold and be completely powerless to intervene.

Naval Gameplay:
    I don't fight naval battles. Ever. I'm awful at them. The best I can contribute to this category is to say that I've seen no gunboat spam and the AI is also mounting significant naval attacks.

Armies/Units:
    The AI builds well-balanced and challenging armies, which makes for a lot of fun battles. Wooden cannons are still completely useless, but whatever. The addition of bayonets and square formations are awesome. I also like the hit line infantry took to their melee defense stats. I can confirm that AI is using suppression fire, and it seems generally more intelligent than vanilla. I love that light infantry now fire all at once, and I like the feel of the rifle units in general. I still think that factional/middle to elite units aren't differentiated as much as they could be, but as things are the gameplay is pretty fun. In regards to melee units, my experience is that casualties take too long in melee combat. I'll surround units (infantry, cavalry) with several groups of kachi and the surrounded units will hold out for minutes on end. The only unit I've witnessed break consistently is levy infantry. Everyone else holds out like it's an even fight. When two generals meet, I can leave my computer, take a shower, finish the crossword, and get back to find a handful of casualties between them. Honestly, I don't like that I go through so much trouble maneuvering my units and closing with the enemy, only to have them stuck fighting an enemy unit that should fold quickly while another three enemy units that were a good distance away can come up and reinforce/flank. If I were to propose anything regarding this mod, it would be for melee units (specifically infantry) to get quicker casualties. I've taken advantage of this weakness too many times to count and now it's frankly just boring to counter and frustrating to endure. As far as cavalry, yari ki feel plenty potent already (in my opinion). They hold their own in melee.

Cannons:
    I didn't use them a lot, but when I faced them they still felt rather underpowered. As I've mentioned, wooden cannons are wasted unit slots. The one time cannons score significant fatalities is when they hit units on a castle wall. This pisses me off, because a section of the wall much wider than the blast radius of the cannonball explodes and it has the potential to cut units in half with one shot. I lost over 150 men over a dozen meters of wall from one hit. Such inconsistencies in damage are maddening. I'd like to see more powerful cannons, but when one strikes a wall, it's effective blast radius expands by ten times. Conversely, I score a direct hit mid-rank on a tightly-packed unit of infantry and maybe six die if I'm lucky.

Misc.:
    The mod is really fun to play. I've mentioned the points I dislike above, but the good points easily outweigh the bad. Prices are more manageable now, and I think they might even be lower than vanilla (but I might be wrong). The enemy still seemed to progress slowly in terms of tech and development. I like the added skill points for agents and Generals. I also want to request the removal of movement penalties like "More Rice" "Womanizer" etc. They're random, annoying, and hinder gameplay.

That's all I can think to mention for now. I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but I'll mention them later on if I remember them and if they're significant. Overall, this mod is superb. Congratulations, Darth, and everyone affiliated on creating such a fun mod. I'll be following your work in the future.

Don't like the power of agents.Getting swarmed from all directions.Their bribes are killing my armies.

Lito's Avatar Civis

Really? Again agent problems? Already Darth removed 3rd point but you still cant handle them? Make your own damn agent and stop them. Every campaign I start with one of any type agent and get him ranked up, in 20 turns I have at least 5 agents each 3 star and I always keep 5 so when some s8itstorm comes I can take them all on....

Oh and European cannons seem a bit OP in Sengoku, I got besieged with them and they pretty much had 400 kills each. Its not like I left clear targets for them but they just hit everyone with best accuracy.

FEEDBACK: Alright, some issues/notes... (H/H, no boost except bayonette, normal unit size with large size ingame option = 150 men line inf, 188 levy)

BAI: In a land battle it happened once that a spear and a general unit of the enemy moved to the end of the map, like reported for naval battles, but at some point, without me attacking them, they got back to their fighting army. In a siege battle, the attacking AI sent half of their melee troops and a bow unit to my castle, leaving a wooden cannon, lots of levy infantry, a general and 2 yari kachi behind. They only began to move when I sallied out and my levies were nearly in firing range. Then the battle proceeded as usual. I should not have won that battle, with 4 levy inf, 1 line garrison and 1 yari levy. I was outumbered 4 to 1.
    Besides that, melee units often behave stupid they charge, and while wavering or at least not routing, they just run around in front of my firing lines until they are broken. Happened with melee inf and generals.
    But there are some signs of intelligence as well, sometimes ^^ Except when they put their own lines up against me so messed up, they overlap, shoot each other and make a satisfying target for my bullets and cannonballs.

Diplomacy: I played as Satsuma, allying with Fukuoka, which generally shared the island with me, and saga, which never managed to capture a province. First, the bug occured, that my alliance with fukuoka would suddenly end, without any message about that. I could easily ally with them again. Then, they took my right for military access, but remained an ally. Then, they turned shogunate. And then, they attacked me, with their ally saga joining the battle, saga being still imperial. Seemed weird. The Fukuoka had military access as well, so I did not trap them. They even had ships. I had good relationships with them and never betrayed them, also their integrity remained "sufficient" after f-ing me over. Yeah right
    Also, I have the issue that imperial, very friendly clans would rather die than ally with me. While the shogunate factions usually ally like a wolf pack. I try it every turn, there are some turns where they say "we might come to an agreement", but it seems they would want me to pay loads of money so they ally with me. Same with trade agreements with some clans. Its always only half of the clans being so thickheaded. The other half gets concinced rather easily. I would like to see it more evened out, not so easy and not so hard.

Units: when the generals turn to revolver units, its over with their usability. Since their size shrinks from 40 to 18 (intentional?), they have limited killing power, they seem to be rather powerful when they shoot though.
    Besides that, no complaints.

Other bugs: Often, when enemy ships raid my trade routes, I get a "attrition" message for their fleet. Strange, but not annoying.

The good: Buildings cost. Thanks, now japan is no 3rd world country anymore.
    Battles seem balanced.
    I cannot comfirm thecritics problem in sieges, except sometimes they just don't shoot. They usually do when I manually have them fire at something. I find it annoying that I cannot stop them from firing when they're manning the walls. I have to remove them so they don't shoot. I know it's not DM related, but it is soo stupid.
    Also, parrot cannons... yes, feel still a tad underpowered, but IDK if more damage would make them OP. They do help in messing the enemy army up a bit. Also, with FPS shooting you can get some nice hits.

I played a naval battle twice. Once using only round shot, once using round until the enemy got close before switching to explosive.

The reason I played it twice was because I lost the first time, sinking perhaps 3 enemy ships. I was outnumbered, I'll give them that. My ships were better (1 kotetsu, 2 26 gunners, 2 26 gunners and a 14 gunner, all ironplated) while they mostly had 6 and 12 gunners, all wooden. 14 or so of them divided over 2 stacks.

One of their ships arrived within range much faster than the other ships. My entire fleet fired at it. It did not start sinking until after the 4th volley. When the other ships arrived and my ships had to divide fire, everything went to hell. I couldn't disable their ships fast enough and got overwhelmed. Not one explosion, 3 sunken enemy ships.

The second time around I set their ship on fire at the first volley of explosive shells, and they abandoned ship after the second. Their ships sailed into my firing range and all of my ships opened fire, lighting many ships on fire with the first or second volley. It wasn't enough to instantly disable them but it kept them busy, and a few pulled out to repair. I pushed on and chased them down with my own ships, and with another bunch of volleys from my ships their ships were abandoned. One of my ships was being repaired because it was taking water (a 26 gunner, which had taken all the enemy fire) and that was all of my losses. The enemy had lost their entire fleet. Still not a single explosion.

So, from the above I gathert that round shot is useless, explosive is just a lot more dangerous.

Also: I fought alongside an allied Choshu army made up out of spear levies, kihetai and imperial infantry. I didn't have imperial infantry yet. The AI outteched me! AWESOME!

More feedback on clans, in my playthrough there is also an awesome division of power. Many shogunate and imperials clans alike have around 5 provinces, and even smaller clans with one or two provinces are staying alive. Tosa are fighting this green-bannered clan for years now, gaining and losing provinces from each other. The map is really alive and alot is going on. That's very nice.

I just wish allies were more reliable, especially when they are of the some allegiance and have access to your lands so they can expand. There was really no reason for the behaviour of the above post by me.

Well now... started a new Choshu-campaign with the 4.0 And Within 20-30 turns everyone has turned to Shogun and I'm at war against all the clans in close proximity. This is getting a bit annoying. Come first winter and I started receiving declarations of war from all my neighbours, then my friends turned shogunate and immediately declared war. Now I'm just defending a single city against never ending tides of bombarding ships and sieging stacks.

Plagiat_93's Avatar Libertus

Some pathfinding problems in my last battle. Is that fixable or is it caused from the vanilla game? I added a picture. It also was not possible to move the unit anymore and i also don't know why they are unsaddled Otherwise, of course awesome mod! Is there a possibility to play some other clans sometimes?