Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: [Guide]Stainless Steel 6.X Install

Default [Guide]Stainless Steel 6.X Install

UPDATED TO INCLUDE STAINLESS STEEL 6.3

It seems that you have to go to a bunch of different threads in order to find the necessary links and information to properly install Stainless Steel, and still people have problems. I've tried to make this as streamlined as possible, with the most pertinent information available. Let me know if there are any other Installation issues I may not be aware of or anything that might need correcting.

If there are any updates to any of the installers or patches, please post them here to keep things up to date.

Before you install:Do these apply to you?

Windows Vista/7
    If you are installing on Windows Vista or Windows 7, TURN OFF UAC. If you do not Turn off UAC and you have a problem and complain about it here, KK will send over an angry Gorrilla for some good ole Monkey Love.

How to TURN OFF UAC
    Problems with Vista and Stainless Steel?

Steam
    There are problems getting mods working with a Steam Install. There are threads about them, such as THIS ONE. If you complain about this without checking this link, see above about Monkey Love.

More information about Steam Problems:
    Running Stainless Steel with Steam
    Steam Induced Difficulties

Kingdoms/Gold Edition
    You will require the Kingdoms expansion in order to install SS 6.X. You only need to install one (1) of the Kingdoms campaigns, though you don't ever have to play it. If you only have the original game, your only other option is Stainless Steel 4.1. The Gold Edition of the game includes Kingdoms so you should be set.

So, now that we got that covered. On to the install and...

Pick Your Poison

Note: RC4 stands for "Release Candidate 4". RR/RC stands for "Real Recruitment/Real Combat".

For more information (SS 6.3)
    Stainless Steel 6.3 Release Thread
    Meneth's Stainless Steel 6.3 Compendium
    Bug Reports for 6.3

For more information (Previous Versions)
    Stainless Steel 6.1 Release Thread
    Stainless Steel 6.2 Release Thread

Stainless Steel 6.1 FAQ
    RR/RC Compilation Forum

Stainless Steel Suggestions Forum
    Stainless Steel Bug Reports
    Stainless Steel Sub-mods

Stainless Steel 6.3You will Need: 6.3 (Choose one Download/Install Option A, B, C or D below)
    Using A, B or C is recommended.

Does not require previous version of Stainless Steel.
    Stainless Steel 6.3 requires Kingdoms version 1.4 or 1.5.

Known Bugfixes for SS 6.3 can and should be downloaded here

A."6 Part" Download:
    Installer/Setup SS6.3.exe (3mb, needs all of the following 5 parts in the same folder to work)
    SS 6.3 Part 1: MegaUpload (596mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 2: MegaUpload (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 3: MegaUpload (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 4: MegaUpload (599mb)
    SS 6.3 Part 5: MegaUpload (66mb)

B."All in One" Torrent by bane_tw: Game Updates

C."12 Part" Download by Black-(File Front Mirror)
    Installer/Setup SS6.3.exe (needs all of the following parts in the same folder to work)
    SS 6.3 Part 1: Part 1.1, Part 1.2 (7zip split archives)
    SS 6.3 Part 2: Part 2.1, Part 2.2 (7zip split archives)
    SS 6.3 Part 3: Part 3.1, Part 3.2 (7zip split archives)
    SS 6.3 Part 4: Part 4.1, Part 4.2 (7zip split archives)
    SS 6.3 Part 5: Part 5
    The parts have to be joined with 7zip or
    use the helper program for SS6.3 filefront mirror
    if you have problems joining the splitted archives.

D."3 Part" alternative installer version download by Sean Cappone
    SS 6.3 Part 1: Mega Upload (757.95 MB)
    SS 6.3 Part 2: Mega Upload (755.3 MB)
    SS 6.3 Part 3: Mega Upload (577.1 MB)
    Install the game into Medieval II Total War\mods\
    afterwards patch your installation with
    SS6.3_installation_patcher_v.2.5.exe
    Despite the info in the installer you DONT have to create a
    backup of the folder Medieval II Total War - SS6.3 is 100% modfoldered.

Mandatory bugfixes are available in this topic for manual application or with additional content/corrections from here as a installer

Previous Versions:

Stainless Steel 6.0You will Need: 6.0 Part 1, 6.0 Part 2

SS 6.0 Part 1: Gamershell, Games.on.net, MegaUpload, Multi-Upload
    SS 6.0 Part 2: Gamershell, Games.on.net, MegaUpload, Multi-Upload

Stainless Steel 6.1You will Need: 6.0 Part 1, 6.0 Part 2, 6.0 to 6.1 Upgrade Patch

SS 6.0 to 6.1 Upgrade Patch: FileFront, MegaUpload, Rapidshare (.exe), Rapidshare (.rar)

Torrent Links:
    SS 6.0 + 6.1: GameUpdates.org, extratorrent.com

Important: If you installed BGRIII using the Stainless Steel 6.1 installer be sure to apply the fix before starting a new campaign. Go here and read the troubleshooter. If you do not and come here to complain about problems, see above about Monkey Love.

Stainless Steel 6.2 RC4You will Need: 6.0 Part 1, 6.0 Part 2, 6.2 All Versions Installer

SS 6.2 All Version Installer: MegaUpload, Rapidshare

Note: Included in RR/RC, but not yet in RC4: Stainless Steel 6.2 RC4 Mongol Bugfix.zip. More information here: Patch 6.2, RC4 released.

Stainless Steel 6.2 WITH RR/RC CompilationYou will Need: 6.0 Part 1, 6.0 Part 2, 6.1 Upgrade Patch, RR/RC Compilation Mod.

SS 6.0 to 6.1 Upgrade Patch: FileFront, MegaUpload, Rapidshare (.exe), Rapidshare (.rar)

RR/RC Compilation (April 11th): Continue here for further instructions and support

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.X Install Guide

+rep

Domesticus
    Artifex

Nice, this is useful for sure. How come no one has written this before...?
    The original installation instructions were lacking these accurate details you provide us.

+rep from Da Goofy.

PS. This thread for sticky!

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Fantastic, like it lots, very simple to use, +rep

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Most rapidshare links now have megaupload or filefront mirrors. Takes care of that "hating Rapidshare" section...

Oh, and the rapidshare mirror for 6.0 is DEAD. Appearantly someone hated it enough to report it as illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Goofy View Post
    Nice, this is useful for sure. How come no one has written this before...?
    The original installation instructions were lacking these accurate details you provide us.

+rep from Da Goofy.

PS. This thread for sticky!
    The original installation instructions were spread all over the place as we've gotten to SS 6.2 organically, and it's just assumed everyone will upgrade to the latest version, and so have a new thread for install instructions for just that version. I first started playing SS sometime in September of last year, so I saw how all over the place the info and download links were.

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    Most rapidshare links now have megaupload or filefront mirrors. Takes care of that "hating Rapidshare" section...

Oh, and the rapidshare mirror for 6.0 is DEAD. Appearantly someone hated it enough to report it as illegal.
    I updated the list of links with the new ones, as well as removed the Rapidshare mirrors. Also removed the hate Rapidshare section as I realized the only torrent links was for the 6.1 patch, so it didn't make much sense to have it especially when there are alternate mirrors.

If there are other "Before You Install" warnings that should be included, let me know. I tried to throw in the important ones I've seen.

On the matter of patches & mirrors:

Stainless Steel 6.1 patch:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8WHMDGJO
    6.0 to 6.2 Upgrade Patch:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LVQCLPKQ

Maybe link to the Stainless Steel 6.2 topic in that section. This disclaimer might be helpful:
    To play, you need a clean SS 6.1 install (no byg or rr ticked during patch 6.1 patch install too, if you have a previous rc installed over clean 6.1 then its ok also).
    Also you might want to consider mentioning the "all version installer" for 6.2 (useful for those that haven't followed the disclaimer above) or using it to replace the 6.1->6.2 patch links you have now.Until the new version is out it might be best to mention
    Stainless Steel 6.2 RC4 Mongol Bugfix.zip
    as well. This fix is included in 6.2 RR/RC but not in 6.2 RC4.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...67#post5782167

Mr. Tornado's Avatar Semisalis

Brilliant. Great for new people!

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Outstanding!!!!!! thank you thank you....+Rep

Whooooo, wait a minute. you mean win 7 still has UAC? That's explains everything, Mumma Mia....
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

am i the only one who see this as kinda useless.. considering 6.2 will be out this week ( lets hope ) and it will contain whole ss

If you want to argue "usefullness" [as in actually beeing used] we could kill the FAQs and the search function as well.
    Leaving aside that not everyone will switch to the new version - as the new version is all in one it will be the main alternative but not kill all install methods mentioned above in one go. Some will still need 6.xx for a hotseat they want to join or whatever.
    On that note:
    I really hope the new release will be labeled 6.3 and not 6.2 or we will have some interesting topics dealing with submods compatible with 6.2 RC4 beeing installed on top of the new version...

Quote Originally Posted by Smikis View Post
    am i the only one who see this as kinda useless.. considering 6.2 will be out this week ( lets hope ) and it will contain whole ss
    It's a long time coming, but not necessarily useless.

- It compiles all install instructions in a single spot, rather than in 4 (or more) different locations. Great for the new users, of which I've seen more than a few new people take an interest in SS.
    - Not everyone wants to play 6.2/the latest. This thread outlines which versions you can choose to play, and specifically which files you will need.
    - As I understand it, more sub-mods are compatible with 6.1 than currently for 6.2 (all the more reasons to have those instructions).
    - There is a separate install route for 6.2 as opposed to 6.2 with RR/RC. For 6.2, you can go directly from 6.0 to 6.2, while 6.2 RR/RC requires you to do 6.1 before the current RR/RC (as I understand it)

If a SS 6.3 appears, it'll get it's own section.

On that note:
    I really hope the new release will be labeled 6.3 and not 6.2 or we will have some interesting topics dealing with submods compatible with 6.2 RC4 beeing installed on top of the new version...
    Is the new release simply merging all the changes of the most recent RC4 (and other minor fixes) into the base 6.0 install to create an all-in-one download, so you won't need to download 6.0 and the updates? or is it going to include additional changes beyond the current 6.2 RC4 that will make it effectively a 6.3?

Quote Originally Posted by sbroadbent View Post
    Is the new release simply merging all the changes of the most recent RC4 (and other minor fixes) into the base 6.0 install to create an all-in-one download, so you won't need to download 6.0 and the updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    its going to be about 2GB or more packed, and i don't have a good connection like that And yep, its the whole SS, so you won't need a previous installation.
    -
    or is it going to include additional changes beyond the current 6.2 RC4 that will make it effectively a 6.3?
    From what I've read it deserves a new subversionnumber but then again thats not my decision to make
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    spoiler changelog for now includes (most stuff done, not counting the little things because then the list would be unreadable):

Ambinent Azan sounds by wolfslayer!
    New warhorns by wolfslayer!
    Whole lot of new music by Kevin MacLeod!
    Vanilla music is also BACK! by C.A ofcz!
    Thnaks to the Geomod team! Without it many map bugs would not be fixed!
    Crismon Tide implemented! The no dirt version!
    Smoother steppes by wolfslayer!
    Revised building bonuses! (many buildings nerfed haha, but some buffed - srsly!)
    Guild HQ's always offer somekind of a factionwide bonus!
    Grass mod by davide.cool!
    Water mod by davide.cool! - remember to ask permission and fix unit in water!
    Rivers now mean something more then just a defensive barrier for the settlements!
    Siege Settlement bugs fixed!
    SS is now working in borderless mod - ALT+TAB whenever you want and there is no "loading back" after you tab back to the game!
    Faction selection CTD bug fixed!
    Including an external campaign chooser!
    Watchtower mod included as optional! Now you can have vision over all of your region!
    Jihad/crusade targets revamped!
    Riczu trade carts removed from game! (ships stay tho)
    Guard your king! hes vital for the kingdom!
    1tpy early campaign!
    proper ageing!
    Settlement growth is now adjusted separately for each campaign!
    Merchants boosted a bit! That means the income they generate as well as some additional traits!
    Parts of caralampio COE mod implemented!
    New region below Kiev! Ireland is now only 2 regions!
    Ireland removed from the game! It is represented with a large rebel force!
    Crusader States is the name of the new faction in the middleeastern!
    New faction AI economy by G5!
    Award-winning BAI by G5!
    Smoother Coastlines!
    Map tweaks!
    Many files were debugged using TWC tools like Squids trait checker, Geomod and more!
    Y2Day faction Shields!
    Y2Day new main menu! - waiting
    Savage CAI default in package!
    Built-in G5 BAI swapper!
    Alberi di Famiglia Regal integrated! - send pm!
    Part of 1100 mod integrated! by Awellesley! - send pm!
    Spoils of war mod by G5!
    Cedric37's UI included as base! - waiting for more! - send pm!
    Mongols finally pagan! with the help of gewehr36 mongol mod!
    Water mod by davide.cool! - send pm!
    Horse mod by Argent Usher!
    Swagger Skymod included! - replacing darker nights and horsearchers sky mod! - send pm!
    Including parts of RR/RC with:
    # COMPLETE BYZANTINE UNIT ROSTER by Anthonius II and Caesar Clivus
    RUSICHI MOD UNITS!!!
    # BATTLE FOR THE BALTIC by Caesar Clivus
    Knights Templar units from Lord_Calidor's KT mod
    SSTC by Chimaeira
    Real Horses by Argent Usher
    CBUR and Unit Card improvement projects by Agis Tournas
    Lord Condormanius's Mailed Knights
    new Byzantine and Kievan Rus unit cards by akvilonn
    Polish Units by MADTAO
    And many many many changes done to army balance by RC - PB!
    New quotes like in RR/RC!

Speech bug fixed - hmph not yet!
    new speeches - maybe if i have time!
    replace supply traits WIP!
    BGRIV Optional! - when im done!
    RR optional - when im done!

Hey guys,

I am a bit of a noob on installing mods. I do not exactly know what to expect after I install the mod. I've downloaded and succesfully installed it. But when i execute the M2:TW nothin is changed. When I command a search in my start screen on stainless steel, it opens cmd and tells me he cannot find the kindoms.exe.

I am using windows 7, and read somethin about a UAC? What is that exactly? Does it have any affect on my problem?

Do you have Medieval with the Kingdoms expension? If you only have M2TW then Stainless Steel 4.1 is the last version working for you.

I have the expansion pack. So i'll install that one. And after I installed it? How do I launch Stainless steel?
    What is the diffference between 4.1 and 6,0?>?

Quote Originally Posted by AZN View Post
    I have the expansion pack. So i'll install that one.
    Medieval 2 TW with Kingdoms -> Install 6.2
    Medieval 2 TW without expansion -> Install 4.1
    And after I installed it? How do I launch Stainless steel?
    There should be a shortcut on your desktop pointing to Stainless_Steel_Kingdoms.bat
    If you execute this and you get the error that it can't find kingdoms.exe then you installed in the wrong folder.
    The path of this bat should be \Medieval II Total War\mods\Stainless_Steel_6\Stainless_Steel_Kingdoms.bat

I have updated the guide for some additional useful information.

-
    From what I've read it deserves a new subversionnumber but then again thats not my decision to make
    From what you have posted, I would say it DEFINITELY deserves a new subversion number. Either 6.3 or a 6.2 RC5. Regardless, once it is released, it'll have it's own separate category.

The one thing I'd like to know is if an upgrade patch that only includes the new content will also be available, or are we going to have to download the entire thing... better get a bunch of file hosting mirrors ready, although torrent downloads would be highly preferable, especially for a large download like this.

From what you have posted, I would say it DEFINITELY deserves a new subversion number. Either 6.3 or a 6.2 RC5.
    Apologies, with subversion number I ment 6.3. With 6.2 RC/RR around 6.2 RC4 can be cause of minor confusion. But no matter what the label its the great package that counts
    The one thing I'd like to know is if an upgrade patch that only includes the new content will also be available, or are we going to have to download the entire thing... better get a bunch of file hosting mirrors ready, although torrent downloads would be highly preferable, especially for a large download like this.
    I already offered my help in regards to mirrors but it seems to be taken care of.
    As to torrents I might be able to seed but I've got zero experience in creating one.

I already offered my help in regards to mirrors but it seems to be taken care of.
    As to torrents I might be able to seed but I've got zero experience in creating one.
    With most torrent programs it's actually a very simple process to create, though I haven't specifically done it myself. Create New torrent, select the files, include the tracker details (from the sites the torrent is posted to), done. Upload torrent file to website for download.

The problem is being able to maintain enough seeds online to keep the torrent available, though I'm more than willing to keep it seeded. The benefit of having a torrent link though would be dependent on how many people will actually utilize it.

Looking at the torrent links, it looks like the 6.1 torrent is dead it's not showing any seeds/peers, so perhaps I'll remove those links. gameupdates.org doesn't seem to want to work anyway.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast