Thread: [Fiction] Thursday Night

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Default [Fiction] Thursday Night

Author: Keresztes
    Original Thread: Not Available

Thursday NightRick looked out his window, like he always has. He marked off the day on the calendar with a red pen a little early, just like always for the last four years. After going through this routine, he calmly shut off the lights, locked the door, and stepped outside to do what most people don’t do. The time was 10:30 P.M., and he was going to take a car that wasn’t his.

He’d gotten into the repossession business five years ago, after earning a general studies certificate at a local technical school. Despite having some schooling under his belt, he had still felt as lost and hopeless as he had felt in high school. He needed to move out of his parent’s home, and he needed some work. He needed something to anchor his life to, and it was by freak chance that somebody mentioned the phrase “Repo Men” to him. After doing some looking on the internet he became intrigued, and had decided to try it.

His best friend and business partner, Sean, was sitting in the driver’s seat of the red Ford Focus parked in front of the apartment. They’d stuck it out through high school and beyond. Quick witted and calm, Sean was a natural first choice when it came to a partner. Plopping down in the passenger’s seat, Rick grunted out a quick “Hey man,” and buckled up as the car began cutting forward through the cool night air.

“How’re things going on the home front,” Rick asked. “Carla’s not riding you TOO hard?” His raucous giggle was accompanied by a sharp ‘whipped’ hand gesture.

“Pssht. Yer just jealous ‘cause the women don’t like your catcher’s mitt of a face. I don’t blame ‘em either.”

Despite Sean’s best attempt to keep a straight face, his trademark lopsided smile slowly crept over his clean shaven face. The only notable difference between the two was Rick’s beard. Both were around six feet tall, had dark brown hair, and had a similar medium build. Hell, they even had the same birthday, down to the month, date, and year. Incredible coincidence, really.

“Alright,” Rick said, “The bank says that the debtor lives at 303 Albertson Street. You’ve got the key, right?”

“Yeah. Had them made this afternoon.”

“Great. If we do this one quickly we’ll probably have time enough to do another job tonight.”

Albertson street was on the other side of town, four miles away. They didn’t speak much as they rode, and Rick began to get the feeling that something was bothering his partner. It was probably nothing though. When they pulled up, Sean parked across the street from a small, run down blue house with 303 on the door. A red Chevy was parked in the driveway, since the house lacked even a garage.

“Look at that,” Rick breathed, “Just sitting there. This is going to be a snap.”

Walking right up the side of the car, he checked the VIN number on the dashboard, matching it with the one provided by the bank. It was the right car. Rick already had his key in the car door when he heard the house’s door open. A man stepped out, and Rick knew at first sight that this meant trouble. While there was nothing outwardly wrong with him, Rick could tell by his body language that he was going to be aggressive and somewhat unbalanced. He needed to calm him down quickly before things escalated.

“Sir? Hi. I’m Rick Langer, and I’ve been contracted by the Bank of the West to repossess your vehicle. Apparently you’ve been somewhat behind in your payments. If you’ll let me show you the…”

“What?” yelled the man. “You can’t do that! You ****ing car thief. I swear I’m gonna…”

Rick decided then and there that showing the bank contract and his ID wasn’t going to solve anything. Even before the man finished drawing his hand out of his pocket he knew that he had a knife. He turned and sprinted for the Focus, hearing the man’s footfalls chasing after him. To his horror, the car was already pulling away. It was only by incredible luck that he managed to get a hold on the door handle. The car stopped, but he had the feeling it was only to avoid dragging him. Throwing himself inside, he screamed “GO” and they sped up, leaving the knife-man behind in the night. He settled into his seat and turned to face Sean.

“You *******. What the hell were you thinking? I could’ve broken bones if I’d been dragged, not to mention what that nut would’ve done to me.”

“I’m the ass now, eh? Right. You can just screw my woman, and you’re faultless, isn’t that right? Of course the great benevolent Rick can do no harm. No, never.”

“Screw your woman? What the hell are you talking about, Sean? You know I’d never touch Carla.”

“Never? Right. So I didn’t see you flirting with her at the grocery store, then? I know when she’s hiding something.”

“Last week? Yeah, I talked to her. You know how her parent’s anniversary came up? You know how they’re in Paris?”

“Yeah, so?”

“So think about it, man. My father is a travel agent. She was talking to me because she wanted to set that trip up as a gift to them. And since my dad handles that kind of stuff…”

Sean stared straight ahead, staying silent for a short while.

“Oh god, Rick, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I should’ve known. Sometimes I get this feeling about her… I just went crazy for a bit. I’m so…

“Look man, its alright. I can forgive you. Really, just…” Rick gave out a nervous laugh, “just talk first, okay? It’s alright.”

The car pulled up outside Sean’s apartment.

“The other car’s keys are inside,” Sean said sheepishly, “I forgot them. I’ll be right out.”

Rick watched Sean walk up to the apartment door and open it. Carla was framed in the doorway, her brown sweater pulled up to reveal her ample breasts. She was down on her knees, her beautiful lips wrapped around the neighbor’s member.
    Last edited by jimkatalanos; November 30, 2007 at 02:19 PM.